Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby walker

Am so in two minds about this!!!

I had one for Henry and used it when he was about 4 months as he would get so frustrated not being able to crawl or roll plus it had musical things on the tray that he liked to play with.

Anyway, it was second hand and Henry had thrown up in it loads so I threw it out. Plus ALL the hvs say how dangerous they are etc but now I'm so stuck!

We can't have a stair gate in our lounge cos of the spiral stairs and we can't afford a play pen thing at the mo so thinking another second hand walker would be a really good idea as think Henry would be less frustrated at being picked up every 5 seconds!!

He is also crawling up the stairs now so I can't leave him even to put something in the kitchen.

My Dad keeps telling me to get one and I can see their point but I'm worried as hvs hate them so much!!

Any tips!!?

xx

Replies

• Options
    I do have a travel cot, but the hv said he would get bored in it. I'm starting to think though that it might be a good idea!

I'll put it up today and see how we get on with that!

Thanks!
  • Options
    How about putting some balls in it so its like a ball pit? Im sure Henry would love that xxx
  • Options
    Bollocks to the hv! Get one! They are dangerous if you are dumb with them like use them on a landing, but in small doses used carefully i can't see how there is a problem. Cole goes in his 2 or 3 time a day supervised in the kitchen - its how Ig et stuff done. He loves it and its certainly not hindering his development - he's now walking almost properly if we hold his hands.

Great idea about the travel cot and the balls though..think i might try that
  • Options
    actually I've just got back from town and got a right bargain!!

I was in John Lewis and they had an ex display baby dan pen for sale- it came with a play mat and toys to hang over it and all that for ??50!!! We had ??30 John Lewis vouchers so feel very chuffed with my buy!!

Henry is in it at the moment looking at himself in the mirror on the mat!!! I feel so much more relaxed already!!!

I've just taken his ball pit down - he had an inflatable one that has been up in our lounge for 4 months but it's coming down now in preparation for our move!! So I might just use the balls from that in the pen!

Oh, bless him - he's staring at me through the bars now! :\( I feel so mean!!

But not mean enough to let him out!!

Think I might invest in another walker too - if I can pursuade hubby to stretch to 2 new things this week!!

Thanks for tips!!

xx
  • Options
    I agree with Kia, sod the hv, as long as you don't leave them in it in dangerous places they are fine. I have the travel cot up in the living room as for some reason Brendan is happy in that but hated his playpen! Thankfully I was given both so no dosh wasted there lol!
    I was also given a walker for him (second hand but I am very lucky to have a friend who had a little boy a year before I had Bren who is not having any more kids so she is giving me everything!) and he loves it! I play a game with him where he runs towards me in it and I tickle him and he shrieks with laughter and runs away, then runs back again for more! Very funny!! :lol: I also put him in it in the kitchen and he follows me around in it while I cook dinner or get lunch.
    Brens is just a basic walker with a tray in the front, no toys or anything but he just loves being able to move around better.

I am sure it would be far more dangerous if I didn't have these things as at the moment Brendan is spending the majority of his time pulling himself onto his feet, walking along holding onto the sofa, moving across to the coffee table, and I have to watch him and get ready to grab him if he gets distracted and forgets he has to hold on! xx
  • Options
    Hi all , we use a walker for Paige (was recommended for reflux babies because she would vomit and then roll in it, lol) but until very recently it was with the brake on only,

Since we took the brake off she has been chasing the dog, the cat, and the kids all over the house, lol. BUT she is still not happy on the floor and only roll out of pure temper and frustration, hates being down there.

I know we will have to back track to the floor because she can't miss a major milestone, apparantly it can affect future development.

Shell & Paige
  • Options
    Liz you are so much more polite than me!

Emily that sounds like an awesome bargain! I'm sure you'll get used to the mean feeling! lol!

Coles is just a basic walker too and I put toys in the tray for him which usually get dropped and picked up 20000 times! Its much safer to stick him in the walker while I do stuff than leave him in the lounge grabbing at everything while I am in and out checking on him. Which reminds me... must finish babyproofing house!
  • Options
    yep i'm totally used to the mean feeling already - the relaxed feeling takes over I'm afraid!!

He still watches tv through it and just plays with all of his toys - he just likes to check I'm still there occassionally!!

He does keep standing himself up in it though which is a bit annoying cos he falls over when he loses balance!

I'm watching a few walkers on ebay near me cos think they'll go cheap!

Only thing is when I threw Henry's old one away he was on the highest setting and that was when he was 6 months - think by now he will be able to reach over quite far and may be too big?????

God I can't believe our los will be walking soon - this year is going waaaay to quickly!!

xx
  • Options
    i got fin one and actually he's not fussed about it... he wants to crawl everywhere and pull himself up on everything he can!!!

i do use it for when i need to get something done etc

he still hasnt worked out he can move in it - hehehe!

• Options
    Cole's is still on the lowest setting and he's quite tall - maybe different makes are different!

IT was the cat that got Cole moving in his walker...he's desperate to get to her and he started lurching himself across the kitchen at her. Poor cat..now he pens her in the corner with the walker if I don't get to p ull him away quick enough
  • Options
    oh god don't get me started on the cat!!

We have a really placid cat and Henry keeps chasing her and he sneaks up on her and when he reaches her he pulls her fur or ears or pokes her.

Normally I stop him but sometimes he gets there too quickly.

She did actually hiss at him yesterday but he still thinks she is his best friend!! His face lights up every time he sees her!

xx
  • Options
    Oh Cole is the same with meggy. He gets so excited when he sees her. Its quite sweet really but he doesn't have any concept yet of being gentle despite our best efforts. He likes to grab a handful of skin and fur. I'm so impressed with her actually cause she does tend to lash out with claws and she plays with claws and teeth but she is so good with him, and she doesn't go in his cot either or anything.

Totally off topic but I've just seen that huggies advert for about the 20th time and it still cracks me up. Must be cause I've got a little boy!
  • Options
    WE have a walker for Philip but he still hasn't worked out that he can move in it!! He much prefers sofa-surfing, crawling and climbing at the moment! Most action it's seen has been him spinning the wheels when it's folded up leaning against the wall (not there anymore, he learnt to pull it over!)

He's got a travel cot set up in the front room as a playpen, useful for dropping him in while i make breakfast etc as he can see the tv and play at the same time, had to do it as he learnt to tip his toddler rocker bouncer right forwards, wedge his legs frog position and touch the floor, almost with his head! I change what's in there for him to play with on a regular basis to try and stem the boredom, he also loves having his balls from ball pit in there.

SIL had a babydan for first one which now gets used to babyproof and dog proof the christmas tree at christmas!

Same as Kia and liz say sod the HV she isn't the one trying to keep a baby safe from dangers that cannot be made safe or taken away (assume you don't fancy ripping the staircase out!)
  • Options
    lol about the cat chasing los!! :lol:
    My cat is back in the UK with my brother luckily for her! When we went back in the summer Bren was fascinated by her but she was sensible enough to keep her distance from him!!

• Options
    We dont have a baby walker for Holly because we have wooden floors and I was scared she would go flying everywhere and there is a step from the conservatory to the living room so deffo not safe!
    Holly is desperatly trying to pull herself up but nothing is at the right height, we bought her a v tech thing thats for them to pull up on but she wasnt interested so we put it up in the loft, might persuade oh to go and get it down tomorrow.
  • Options
    Maddy's childminder went out and bought her a baby walker and Maddy loves it so, am thinking of getting one for home. She's already pulling herself up and surfing the sofa so, not sure how much use it'll get. Just gonna get on on ebay..