Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My boilers broken!!!

Hiya everyone, Im loving all the topics on teeth, sitting, feeding and crawling.
Anyway, my boilers broken and we have no hot water!!! Im am a private tenent. I contacted them about this a week ago and no one has come to repair it yet. They were supposed to be coming last night but no one turned up. I rang the landlady and said that I need it doing as I am struggling getting the kids a bath as I am on crutches and it is very hard for me to get anywhere at the moment. She said she would find out what happened to the plumber and would ring me back. This was last night and I still havn't heard anything!!!Its getting beyond a joke and my family really need baths!!(we are starting to smell). I got my mum to take the kids hers for 2 baths but its silly having to do this.
Does anyone know how long they have to do the repair and can I get someone to do it and pay for it out of the rent money??? xxx

Replies

• Options
    Not sure where you stand but personally, I would call citizens advice as by law I'm sure a landlord has to maintain the property to a certain standard, especially if there are children involved. At least then you will know your legal rights and can use this to put pressure on your landlord.

Hope you manage to get it sorted before the weekend x
  • Options
    Check exactly what your tenancy agreement says, but this counts as an urgent and essential repair and should be dealt with within 72 hours (obviously allowing for any parts ordering etc). If you aren't getting anywhere then call your local private housing department at your council and they will get on to your landlord and make them do it as it is a legal requirement to provide hot water for your tenant.

i would be wary about just paying for someone to do it and taking payment out of rent money just in case when you come to leave your landlord gets the arse and withholds some of your deposit - at the very least take legal advice before doing that.

Hope that helps and the plumber gets his arse round asap!
  • Options
    Hope it's sorted soon. Like kia said just beware of doing things yourself. Our tenant made and fit a back gate for the yard and wanted ??170 knocking off the rent! We hadn't even told him to do the job, and were waiting on a mate returning from hols to fit one for a helluva lot cheaper! So he's not got it knocked off.
    Perhaps ask for a rent reduction if this continues. It might work, esp if the repairs should've been seen to within 72hours.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    well my hubby is a plumber and he is a nice one... always on time and never doesnt show up BUT there are some nightmare ones out there and your landlord has prob rang the cheapest one out there...therefore no good service! anyway they actually have got quite a bit of time to get sorted even with kids as can boile kettle etc... only mega urgent when no heating and its winter....stupid i know! this is unless it states in your tenancy different!

i would ring landlord and say that if the plumber does not come tomorrow then you'll see if you can find one that can come out quicker and ask for invoice to be sent to landlord...hubby has this quite a bit then landlord has 28days to send him cheque!!!

stand your ground..........good luck!!!

xx