Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Routine?

I just wondered if you have any sort of routine going, or planned? I try to feed holly at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 11pm and 3am. It rarely works like that though. She isnt too bad at sleeping from 11pm to 3am but from the 7pm feed to 10pm she is wide awake, then not impressed about being woken an hour later (all be it a very quiet and quick feed). I wondered how much milk (if youre giving formula) you are giving and when and what your little ones waking and sleeping habits are,
Sorry if this seems really nosey, i just feel like holly does what she wants when she wants! And although there is nothing wrong with that i would like to have atleast a decent plan on whats happening and when!

Thanks in advance! Sarah x

Replies

• Options
    Philip has dictated to a degree what happens when but it's a routine of sorts and at moment fits in with me.

Wakes at 6.30am for a feed, if he doesn't i wake him, he goes back to sleep on school run, then feed at 9.30ish, back to sleep for a bit, feed at 12ish, then he usually stays awake for a bit, offer him boob at 2pm so he's not screaming during school run, bottle at 4.30ish, plays for a bit then sleeps till about 6.30, more boob at 7pm then plays till about 9.30 (or bath then boob at 7) then bottle at 10ish, normally asleep by 10.30, hopefully through till 6.30!

That makes it sound like he's either feeding, or sleeping all day but it isn't quite like that! Obviously this is only rough, some days he's really awake and alert through the day and sleepy in evening, others his sleepy all day and alert all evening.

For his 2 bottles a day he has 5oz at the moment but the bedtime one he drinks anything from 2oz to 5oz but he has boob first so it's really a top up.

Hope this helps, don't stress too much about routine, as soon as you settle in one, lo will change mind about when she wants food and sleep throwing you back into confusion again!
  • Options
    Routine - whats that????!!!!

Amy as no routine or she does have one for 3 days and then it completely turns on its head!!
    I was getting quite stressed about it till HV told me that she's only 5 weeks old and is still settling in. The only thing HV said was to try to feed her every 3 hours during the day and eventually she'll sleep longer in to the night, this has worked some days but not others.

The only bit of repetition we have is wash/bath about 7ish and into clean sleepsuit and then she comes up to bed with us at 10.30ish.

Generally she sleeps really soundly between feeds so it's not too bad at night, some nights she'll go 4 hours between feeds and sometimes she's gone 6 hours - it swings and roundabouts!

Not sure if this has helped??

xxx
  • Options
    I've given up on any real routine at the moment! I have been changing him into his his sleepsuits between 6 and 7pm when he has a nappy change and give him a real good wash or bath (depending on how smelly he is!!). He is feeding every 2 and a half hours at the moment which I am really hoping will increase soon although he is only a month old so I guess its not so unusual. His feeds vary a lot, sometimes he will take a full 4 oz other times it is only 2 or 3 oz. I am giving him boob juice about 3 times a day though so not sure what he is getting from me, he generally feeds from me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
    He is still sleeping a lot throughout the day, roughly for every hour is he awake he then has another hour asleep! Some nights he is very good and wakes for a feed and then goes straight back to sleep, other nights I can spend an hour trying to get some trapped wind up for him before he will go back to sleep. Got my mum coming out to visit us next week and she is bringing infacol thank god!!!

Can't wait for him to start sleeping longer at night!!!

Liz x
  • Options
    We seem to sort of have an evening routine now, bottle with daddy when he gets home - around 6.30ish. Bath sometime after that depending on when we have tea, bottle with daddy around 9pm, then we take him up to bed with us around 10pm. He seems to have a grizzle around 1-2am and then wakes between 3-5am for a bottle. The 5am waking is a new achievement.. 9 hours last night he slept..yay! He has boob feed in the morning, then a bottle usually at some point after that (apart from last night when I did it the other way round otherwise I'd have drowned hubby and I in milk!) Daytime feeds depend on where we are as to whether he gets boob or bottle - if I want him to sleep for a bit I'll give him a bottle as he usually settles to sleep better after bottles

He's usually not too bad at settling back to sleep after a night time bottle - not in the early hours of this morning after a boob though! I'm so tired...but at least my tumble dryer is here so it was worth getting up early!
  • Options
    routine what is that!! we have none really. Marcus is totally breast fed at the mo so just feeding on demand. He tends to cluster feed on a night which both the HV and the MW tell me is normal and he does this generally on and off for a four hour period between 7pm-11pm though sometimes less and sometimes more. He often sleeps then till about 3 am and is awake about 5-6ish for a feed. During the day as we keep having visitors we haven't got into a routine but as he still is young not going to try to force it till another week or so and will introduce some bits then.
    Any hints anyone on what helps or works?

Jillycat
  • Options
    i thought i had a routine starting but shes got colic now and now its all messed up. she can cry for hours
  • Options
    Suggestion for colic is colief drops, Liz it might be worth asking your mum to bring you some just in case. They are expensive at ??9.99 but the difference in Philip is amazing, i couldn't cope with seeing him in so much pain and the constant crying but since he started these on friday he has been a completely different baby, happy, smiley and content most of the evening unless he is hungry. Infacol etc worked for a bit but these are amazing! Even the hv, who i thought would tell me off, said great, if it helps him use it, and get them on prescription from the Dr for him.

has also helped with routine and bringing bedtime forward to 10pmish instead of midnight through exhaustion!
  • Options
    Suggestion for colic is colief drops, Liz it might be worth asking your mum to bring you some just in case. They are expensive at ??9.99 but the difference in Philip is amazing, i couldn't cope with seeing him in so much pain and the constant crying but since he started these on friday he has been a completely different baby, happy, smiley and content most of the evening unless he is hungry. Infacol etc worked for a bit but these are amazing! Even the hv, who i thought would tell me off, said great, if it helps him use it, and get them on prescription from the Dr for him.

has also helped with routine and bringing bedtime forward to 10pmish instead of midnight through exhaustion!
  • Options
    Actually - thats the one part of routine we deliberately introduced - cluster feeding in the evening. Picked that one up from the baby whisperer book
  • Options
    Kia- Is the baby whisper a good book? What does she say about cluster feeding?
  • Options
    jillycat - looks like Bryn and Marcus have the same 'routine' in the evening - Bryn does exactly the same.... I just wish he didn't feel permanently attached to me!
  • Options
    Routine?? I wish lol Holly just does what she wants when she wants. Normally she is permanantly attached to me, she just seems to want to feed all the time at the moment! Ive been giving her colief and its great, deffo helps with her wind and she is a happy contented baby.
    At night Holly does feed for hours on demand but it doesn't really help her sleep for much longer, the last few nights its been every 2 hours but then again her wee nose has been a bit suffed up. I put some saline drops in her nose last night and it seemed to help a bit.
    We normally tend to bath Holy at 7.30 then massage, change into sleeping bag then I feed her in the bedroom and she stays there for the night. Not sure if she is too young for a routine yet or to know the difference between nigh and day!
    Is the baby whisperer book any good? I might get it if you guys think its worth it.
    Amy xxx
  • Options
    Gracie's routine's just changed again as she's now fully bottle fed so settling into 6 feeds a day, usually at 7am, 10am, 2pm, 5pm, 8-9pm then whenever she wakes during night, usually 3-4am.
    Hubby gives her the last bottle and then brings her to bed when I go around 10pm. He doesn't know it yet but he'll also begin giving her her night feed every so often, esp at weekend! Last night she went from 8.15pm bottle to 4.40am, her best yet!
    She has sleepy days and then very awake days but has def settled more between bottle feeds. She loves her baths (also fuller than 'the rules'!) and will 'play' more now without getting bored quickly!
    Isn't it brill when they smile and chuckle? These little ones grow so quickly!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Obi1, I will ask her to bring some out. Brendan has been terrible the last couple of days crying and screaming when he does a number 2 even though he isn't constipated. He is very windy when he does the number 2 so I am wondering whether it is that which is causing him the pain. We wind him really well after every feed and always get a good few burps from him so not sure what we can do to stop his discomfort. He seems to be worse at night too which is a nightmare as he is taking forever to settle after a feed. Maybe the infacol or drops will help.

Think I will try the cluster feeding too to try and get him to sleep a bit longer at night. Last night he was wide awake from 4am to 5am, I put him in his vibrating bouncer for a bit to see if that sent him to sleep but he just sat there gazing around at the shadows on the walls! Just got him back to sleep in his moses basket and half an hour later my ohs alarm clock went off and Brendan woke up again!! Arrgghh!!!

I have the baby whisperer book too (you can get it on Amazon for not a bad price) I have only got about half way through it though!!

L xx
  • Options
    Liz - Bryn went through a stage of being awake at night - not crying or anything just awake - but fortunately it only lasted for a couple of days and then he settled into waking at night but only for feeds (just wish there wasn't so many feeds!) Bryn is a very windy baby despite being winded well after feeds - I did give him infacol but it stopped being as effective, so now I use gripe water - he still has wind but he doesn't seem to cry as much.... Talking of which - hes just woken up again... time to go! x
  • Options
    Managed to order some Colief drops online that will be sent out here which is great, really hope they make a big difference as he is such a happy baby at all other times it is awful to see him when he is in such pain.

Hopefully Brendan will be like Bryn Emma and it will be a one off staying awake in the early hours!
    I have been having lots of fun with him this afternoon playing songs and singing along while bouncing around with him! Think his favourite song so far is 5 little speckled frogs lol! The way he looks at me I think he thinks I am crazy! But I figure the longer I can keep him awake and entertained during the day must help tire him out so he sleeps more at night!

L xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys, that was really helpful. Ive started writing down the times of feeds and sleeps to see if there is any sort of pattern. Hopefully we can get some more sleep very soon!
  • Options
    hi, its been a month now since our posts. I just wondered bhow everyone is getting on with routine now? Is anyones baby sleeping through... and if so how?!
    Holly wakes at 6am and has first feed, then 11am, 3pm, bath at 6pm and another feed then bed at 7pm. Sleeps until 1:30 or if im lucky 3am. if she wakes at 1:30 she will wake again at 4:30 otherwise its 6am. Each feed is 5oz but she is starting to drain that now so may increase to 6oz. x
  • Options
    How that month has flown!

Well we are in more of a routine now. Amy feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm (give or take an hour or so) between 5oz and 6oz at each feed. We put her in her moses basket in our room at about 8pm and she'll generally sleep through til her 7am feed. She does often wake up at about 5ish but is quite happy to have a dummy and a kick about in her bed and no tears (and I'm learning to doze back off for a couple more hours!)
    I know we are really, really lucky and I can honestly say that we have been completely led my Amy and not tried to get her in to any sort of routine. I guess she's just an easy to please baby!

Having said that she can be a bit fussy at feeds and can sometimes take nearly an hour to have one bottle and she is awake a lot more in the day now, particularly in the afternoon, which I suppose is helping her sleep through at night.

Hope the rest of you are getting there!?!?
  • Options
    You lot are so organised!!!! The only real routine we have is nighttime - we've just switched bathtime from 8pm to 7.30 - bath, bottle and bed works pretty well an dsince we moved to 7.30, Cole has been in bed at around 8.30..well except for tonight when he threw up all down me and him..had to leav ehubby cleaning him up while I stripped (everything but my socks was sicky!) and had a shower!!

He sleeps through now till around 7, maybe a little after if I'm lucky! His injections did give us a bit of a setback with wakeup times, but on the whole we've been lucky and he mostly sleeps through and has done since 6 weeks. Its just in the last couple of weeks we got strict with bathtime - before it was just whenever!

Through the daytime, he has bf, then bottle in morning, naps whenever I can get him to, and feeds when ever he fusses for food. I think I'll try for set mealtimes when he starts having solids.. cause I'm mixing bf and formula I'm still pretty much demand feeding.

Rachel - have you tried Amy on the next stage bottle teats? I've been using stage 2 teats with Cole for the last week or so and now he finishes his bottles a lot faster with a lot less fussing. I think he was getting fed up with the milk not coming fast enough. Course now I've had to learn not to let him guzzle so much wihtout a break otherwise I end up covered in puke sometimes!!