Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

crying when getting a fright

recently Archie has been crying if someone laughs loudly, coughs, we use the hoover or the lawnmower.
it was happening once in a while but its now every time someone coughs even when he's aseep, he'll wake screaming.
what can we do? we pick him up and console him but its getting to be a problem now, should i see the health visitor or will he just grow out of it?

thanks

[Modified by: Arch-n-me on 27 July 2008 22:38:06 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi, how old is he?

Brendan can be a bit like this, if something scares him he usually gets his bottom lip out and has big scared eyes and then may start crying if we don't reassure him first. He cried and cried whenever my step dad blew his nose lol.

We have found that if we tell him straight away it is ok, and laugh and smile at Bren his crying will usually turn into laughter and since we have been doing that he is much braver than he used to be!! x
  • Options
    sorry sweetie not sure what you can do - we do what liz does and usually he's fine! only now a few times been at friends houses and there kids ahve screamed suddenly and his bottom lip starts going and tears welling up!!!

i wouldnt try and protect him from these noises as that will only make things worse... fin used to be bad with everything but ok now!!

xx
  • Options
    Rhys is the same n gets his mardy face on, if we tell him it ok and do lots of smiley things he ok otherwise he bursts into tears n does big sobs am cruel but it always makes me laugh as he looks so mardy ha ha. But we just try to giggle n laugh about it to reassure him. Lately though he's started doing it when men come to him, my Dad, Grandad n oh's Dad.
  • Options
    thanks, weve tried laughing and smiling but most times he
    still ends up crying, hopefully he'll grow out of it, he's fine staying away from us as he's just been with granny n grandad all wkend.
    he's nearly 8month.