Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

introducing water

Need lots of advice today but when you put lo totally on ff should you start giving sterilised water? I would wait to ask hv but she wont be available til Tuesday and Henry is pretty much just on ff now and I don't want him to get dehydrated!

Also do I give it to him before a feed or just after or somewhere inbetween!?

This is just like having a newborn again and not knowing anything! BF is so easy, no sterilising, no water, no making bottles in the middle of the night! I'm beginning to regret stopping now!

At least I can have a full nights sleep once in a while now!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    aaw bless ya emily66!
    my friends lo only has a 40z bottle given randomly throughout day ...

everything u said is what is keeping me going but we are mixing with ff now... shud i be giving water too? i still bf most feeds?
  • Options
    Bottle feeding can be a pain sometimes but it has lots of benefits too!

Amy has been bottle fed since she was born and I've never given her water between feeds. Now I'm begining to think that maybe I should be??

She has never been dehydrated, I did give her some water when she was about 4 weeks old as she was really constipated but thats it.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.
  • Options
    I try to give Gracie water when i remember but only really do if she's constipated. One bottle's made up with just water and she has about 1oz only. Holly, you'll be fine with bf too.
    Best to give between feeds so it doesn't fill them up too much.
  • Options
    I offer Philip water between feeds, usually just after his nap in case he's thirsty, sometimes he has a little sip, others he'll take half an oz. Now he's 3 months i use a trainer cup with a soft spout from Boots for his water to help him differentiate between food and drink, also want to avoid the problem of him only taking fluid from a bottle with a teat.

My hv said to give it him if constipated or he's been sweating with heat or temper!!!!
  • Options
    Jack has been bottle fed since 3 weeks old and i only give him water if he doesnt have a poo throughout the day as he normally has 1 or 2 each day. He only has 1oz and after that messes around and spits it out. xx
  • Options
    It had never occured to me to give Cole water until he's weaned... although I might start when he fusses for a feed when I'm sure he's not that hungry.

I like the idea of using the trainer cup to teach him its a drink - might try that