Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When to expect AF?

Hi,

Brendan is 8 weeks old now and I was part bf and ff him pretty much from day one and for the last couple of weeks have only been giving him the odd comfort feed as bf so I have been expecting my af to return soon but nothing yet.
Have any of the other Dec mummies had their af yet? I'm hoping I get it soon pref before I go back to the UK so that I am not suffering with bad period pain while visiting relatives! :roll:
Also I hate the not knowing when to expect it as my cycle was always very regular prior to becoming pregnant so I always knew exactly when it would arrive.

Found out I would have to pay for microgynon out here if I want to go back on it! Thankfully I have a few packets left from my last prescription in the UK so I think I will see my UK GP when I come back at easter and get some more. Much easier talking to a GP in english anyway!

Liz x

Replies

• Options
    I'm wondering that one myself actually! Every couple of weeks since around my 6 week check I've had a couple of days of very light spotting that comes to n othing. Now I'm starting to wonder if the spotting is something bad or if its just my body messing with me!

And...paying for the pill!?!!! Thats crazy.. good job you are coming back to the uk!
  • Options
    I'm completely bf-ing and I've just had my first period - not impressed at all - athough it only lasted a couple of days. (Bryn is 10 weeks)

Kia's right - paying for the pill is crazy

Em x
  • Options
    I'm confused too! Not least b4 coming on this site i'd never heard 'af' b4...is it common knowledge or a regional name?!
    Anyway, with Charlie i bf for 6wk combined with bottles and af returned when he was 5 month old. With Alfie, 8 week and it returned when he was 9 week old! So when i stopped bf Gracie 4 weeks ago i expected it sooner than later....but still nowt. Not that i'm complaining! Hope i'm not on with having no. 4! lol
  • Options
    I was expecting af to return pretty much as soon as i stopped bf, which was nearly 2wks ago and nothing yet, although i've had some mild cramping but nothing major. Hope it hurries up cos i'm panicking a bit having succumb to dh's nagging i now wonder whether i should have!! (sorry tmi!)

A friend of mine comes from Czech and she was amazed we get contraception free as they also pay for it.
  • Options
    Ali- I think af is common to baby/ttc sites. I think it sounds kinda silly actually - but then I've always been one for calling something by its name!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone at least I know I am not alone!
    I'd only heard of periods being referred at as af from this site.

Think the reason you have to pay for the pill out here is because they are trying to increase the population!It is the only thing I can think of! The population of the whole of Norway is only like the size of Manchester!! Think that is why you are given just over the equiv of ??3k for having a baby so guess it makes up!

Just glad we are planning on trying for number two around August/ September! x
  • Options
    Got my af when Amy was 7 weeks old and it was really strange as no warning, no pain but very heavy (sorry if tmi)
    Gone back on the pill now, so hopefully should get af again when I break.

Liz - we're planning on starting to try for number 2 in September too - so will we be seeing each other in the ttc section??!!
  • Options
    Sounds like it but hopefully not for very long! =D
  • Options
    Sorry, being really thick here but what does af stand for?!?!
    I now know its to do with periods!
    Ive bottle fed from birth and my period started when alfie was about 6 wks, hes now nearly 10 wks. It lasted for just over a wk and was really, really heavy. It was so heavy that i was quite paranoid when walking down the street that i was leaving a trail (soz, tmi!)
    Doc advised me to go on the pill when i have a couple of norm periods.
  • Options
    I didnt have a clue what AF means either suzlong and BTW your LO is Gorgeous!!!!
    I'm still b/f and havent had a period yet and i'm on cerazette for contraception and ive no idea if i'm supposed to get one with that or not. Liz B and rachelbond you are both very brave planning to try for number 2!
  • Options
    Thanks jane, love him to bits!
    Your lo looks sooo cute, a little dot! Bet shes not so little now though?!
  • Options
    Hi af stands for Aunt Flo! Very silly I know!
  • Options
    All makes sense now lol!
  • Options
    Well I had my coil fitted today (ouch!!) but no AF for me and am hoping its going to stay that way lol
  • Options
    Amy, was it that bad?! We still haven't decided what to do yet...
  • Options
    Ali I can honestly say it wasn't! I got local anestetic and didn't really feel much. It was maybe a little worse than a smear? I had a wee bit of a sore tummy afterwards for about an hour but paracetamol helped and I feel great now. I am a big wimp when it comes to things like that and I would have it done again, really wasn't that bad.
    Good luck deciding!
  • Options
    Thanks Amy - doesn't sound too bad then?! The only shaking our bed's getting at the mo was the earthquake! No rush then...... lol.
  • Options
    PML wish I could say the same here lololol
  • Options
    alioli - our bed didn't even get to feel the earthquake - too far away!! lol... At the mo we're using the other side of the bed from each other as the best form of contraception!... Hubby booked in for snip - thought he was having it done over a week ago and it was only a consultation - doh! He even took 2 days of work bless him - he didn't sleep much the night before the appointment expecting it all to be over within 12 hours - we've now got to wait another 6 weeks! x
  • Options
    The earthquake didn't even wake me properly but hubby woke and thought he was cracking up cause he could feel the bed shaking!!

As for Liz's original question... I have a new answer... 10 weeks! I have the coedine on standby cause I can't have nurofen while bf-ing! I was hoping the bf-ing would keep af away for a while longer.

I can't believe that Cole is 10 weeks old now... I put him in 3-6 month vests this morning too..he's growing up