Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

fingers crossed

Fingers crossed - we are hoping to exchange on the sale of our flat this week. just waiting on a couple of things. Getting very nervous and stressed that it all goes through. had removals come round and price up and have sooo much stuff to pack up!
my husbands come up with the bright idea that we'll pack everything up and move it downstairs to the garage and that will make it cheaper. then they can just do the heavy/big stuff - the sofa, beds, tv etc. unfortunately the removals said it would indeed make it considerably cheaper so thats extra work for us! i think it will be much harder than my husband thinks it will be!!
we cleared out our garage and loft a couple of weeks ago and have sorted through the boys toys. we took about three car loads to the charity shop and a couple to the tip. then this week i was asked to do a car boot so i'm gutted!! a lot of stuff in the garage was stuff that i'd kept on to for too long as i thought that i'd car boot it 'one day'. anyway i still managed to get another whole car load worth of stuff to take so i'm hoping i sell some to cover the cost! and so i don't have to bring it home again tonight!
This will be the first time we've moved since having the kids and we just seem to have so much stuff! the removals man said for a 3 bed property we don't have very much stuff at all so thats reassuring. Has anyone moved and got any advice? we can't do it ourselves and we can't move it in to the new property til the day other wise we probably would have done it bit by bit!

Replies

• Options
    Fingers firmly crossed that all goes smoothly for you!

I haven't got much advice with the moving, when we moved over to Norway we just had what we could fit into our Volvo with its roofbox on. Then just over a year later when we moved into our bought house it took about 5 car and trailer trips to get our stuff moved! Goodness knows what it would take now! It was stressful moving into this house though as I was about 38 weeks pregnant and there was only my hubby and one of the teachers from his school moving everything! We managed it in one day and evening though - athough I still have boxes in the basement that I haven't properly unpacked lol!

Good luck with it all anyway, I am sure it will all be worth it x
  • Options
    Me me me, we have moves 4 times and have done it ourselves each time. Its not actually as bad as you think it will be, what we did was started about 2 weeks before the big move and started packing everything away and only leaving out essentials enough cups, clothes, towels ect. You will be amazed at home much stuff you can actually have packed away that you dont need or use much for example getting things out the loft and stacking them in the garage would be a big help. Organisation is the key and if you can manage to pack boxes yourself and put them in the garage you will find it saves you a lot of extra cost. Another thing is to remember to write on the boxes what room they are all for and a what the main things in them are. Good luck with the move and it won't be as bad as you think, honestly image
  • Options
    Me me me, we have moves 4 times and have done it ourselves each time. Its not actually as bad as you think it will be, what we did was started about 2 weeks before the big move and started packing everything away and only leaving out essentials enough cups, clothes, towels ect. You will be amazed at home much stuff you can actually have packed away that you dont need or use much for example getting things out the loft and stacking them in the garage would be a big help. Organisation is the key and if you can manage to pack boxes yourself and put them in the garage you will find it saves you a lot of extra cost. Another thing is to remember to write on the boxes what room they are all for and a what the main things in them are. Good luck with the move and it won't be as bad as you think, honestly image
  • Options
    I love moving! In fact we've been here nearly 3yr now and I'm getting itchy feet so we're putting house on market in a few weeks. What I do when I move is label all the boxes with the room they need to go into at the new house, and also if it's fragile! We've moved a few times but only once used a removal van and it was so worth it! We helped them (I found out 2 days later I was 4week pg with Gracie, oops!) and that made it quicker too. Have you got someone to have the boys?? Kids n house moves are a no-no! Once you have few boxes in, it's best for you to start unpacking essentials, rather than helping haul boxes. Then you can get sorted with beds etc if you have to sleep there that night!
    Moving stuff to garage is a great idea! Good luck!