Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Eternity ring

Got my engagement ring on for the first time for nearly 6 months, my wedding ring was getting very lonely! Basically 3 years ago when we bought it, it was a very cold day and I'd just had my best friend tell me she'd lost her engagement ring as it flew off her finger at work, so I wanted it snugg - turns out I got it a little too snugg. Anyway it really was too small but still fitted. Had to take it off at about 6 months preganant and it was too tight afterwards so bit the bullet (??80!!!!!) ands got it resized.

But anyway here's my question.....

Has anyone got an enternity ring? I've dropped so many hints at my hubby - oh okay I admit it I've out right told him I want one. Am I right in thinking that you should get one after your first baby is born? It was our wedding ann. xmas, my birthday and the birth of our son all within 2 weeks so felt that I'd stored up enough brownie points. Knew what ring I wanted - had cut out pic from mag and left it lying about, hubby didn't notice so I told him out right. Then I thought Mother's Day might be an ideal time but let's not go there shall we ladies! I know it wasn't the dream day that most of us hoped it would be!

So let me clarify my rambblings into a questions:

Have you got an enternity ring? (If so when / how did you get it?)

If not does it bother you? (If it does what are you going to do about it?)

Well I have left the pic from the mag at the jewellers that I got the ring resized at to give me a quote. Think I'm just going to buy my own ring (I wonder if hubby will even notice!?!)

Thoughts much appricated.

El x

PS. Why are men so pants!

Replies

• Options
    He he! Men are pants!

BUT....my hubby majorly surprised me when ds1 Charlie was born. He went home about dinnertime (he was born at 6.22am) and returned 3 hours later with a gorgeous diamond wishbone eternity ring! It fits perfectly around my engagement ring. I was sooo happy and kept looking at Charlie and my new ring! lol
    I've only heard recently that it is traditional to get it after the 1st born, but older ppl, like my mum's generation (she'd kill me calling her old, but she is 63!), they were generally bought after a few years of marriage.
    Don't think my hubby is great either, he gave me the crappiest proposal ever so think he was making up for it!
    Good luck with the hints/buying it yourself! You can casually tell him my story and see what he says?!
  • Options
    mmmm.... i've got a plain gold wedding band and thats it - not even an engagement ring. My hubbys so crap i have to buy and wrap my own chrissie presents and we don't do valentines or anniversary's!
    Alioli - are you sure your proposal was the crappiest ever? - my oh proposed when we were watching a documentary on beef eaters (?!) in a roundabout we might as well fashion!
    he's quite clever for managing to get that ring isn't he! sounds lovely!
  • Options
    Beef eaters - how romantic!
    We were in a crappy arndale centre and after I chose my ring, he said, 'well are you going to put it on then?'! He only said I could get a ring so I'd buy him a playstation....men!
    I was very shocked about the eternity ring. He bought me a sapphire n diamond ring when Alfie was born too but I lost a stone when moving house. That reminds me...I've not had anything for having Gracie(apart from flowers).....may need to do some hinting myself! If only we weren't skint!
  • Options
    I know - i don't even know why we were watching it - we had just come back from the pub tho so were prob too merry to care!
  • Options
    When we bought our wedding rings we were told that you are meant to get an eternity ring on the birth of your first child - the woman in the shop was pointing out how an eternity ring would fit round my engagement ring .. after another sale I think!!

We only got married last september though, and being on maternity leave and a new baby we have more important things to spend our money on than a ring.. especially as i only just about got used to wearing 2 rings before having to stop cause my fingers got too swollen,

I have to say I'm not really too fussed about an eternity ring - I'm not really into wearing much jewellary - I've only jsut started wearing earrings again cause hubby likes them - got out ofthe habit years ago cause crash helmets and earrings just don't mix!

El - you could try photocopying pics of the ring and sticking it everywhere..maybe that'd get the message through!

Sounds like a thrilling documentary julesy!

My hubby proposed in disneyland paris.. it wasn't a surprise though as we'd already decided we wanted to get married.. but he wanted to do it properly. Was quite funny having him pretend to not have anything in his pocket when i knew damn well he had the ring in there and he knew I knew!
  • Options
    oh bless - see some men have their romantic sides - just not mine!! my boys will stand no chance.
  • Options
    My hubby is quite good actually bless him! Last year for our first valentines day he bought me the dvd of the first film we went to see together.. I've drawn a complete blank on the name though! This year he got me a voucher for the pottery cafe cause he knows we can't afford for me to go paint much and he wanted me to be able to do something I enjoyed. Haven't finished painting the plates I started with my christmas money though..got distracted by crochet instead!
  • Options
    OMG - you have time to crochet???? I am so going wrong somewhere......
  • Options
    I sooo didnt know that you should get an eternity ring after your lo is born! Going to make hubby read this thread!!!

My hubby proposed on a new years eve with a hula hoop (and they say romance is dead?!?!) Saying that, i was quite peckish and ate it so it came in quite useful!!!

Sorry to be of no use to you El Mac. Looks like not many of us have one and i have to say, im not that bothered and like Kia, i have so many other things to spend money on (unfortunately not on myself lol)

Good luck anyway with the hinting!

Saying all that, the romantic gesture would be lovely.......!

x
  • Options
    I don't have much time to crochet. I usually do a little bit in the evening when we are sat in front of the telly. I started a blanet for Cole when I was pregnant and once he arrived I didn't touch it till about 3 weeks ago - its not complicated at all so I can do it while I'm half asleep!! I've started making coloured squares to do a blanket for my mate (her lo is due at the end of june) and so far I've managed 5 squares so I think the baby may have to wait for her blanket!!! Its actually good for me to do a little bit - feels good to be doing something for me that I enjoy even if it means the washing up waits!!

Proposing with a hula hoop Suz! thats a good one!! Hope it tasted good!
  • Options
    i've heard this as first born = eternity ring but as much as i love the idea i don't have one, like the others said money seems to be spent on other things at the moment and i have to say hubbie is not the type to think of it EVEN if i told him, (yes i've given up on wishful thinking and subtle hints! lol) i did however get a half eternity ring at our 1year anniversary (the only one we've celebrated), how did i get it? - well, he said what do you want, i said ring, he picked one, we took it back and swapped it for a nice one!image (he hadn't liked it either and i'm very picky with jewellry!) as for proposals, what's one of them, :\? with us it just seemed to happen, how's that for romantic! :lol: nevermind i have a beautiful baby boy from him.............good luck with the ring, i love the idea of photocopies all over the house, just hope he's the sort to pay attention heehee! might try it myself sometime.image
  • Options
    El Mac I was the same as you and told my hubby that after the first born he was supposed to buy me an eternity ring - he didn't take the very subtle hint either lol! Having said that we had just bought a house a few weeks before Bren was born so we didn't exactly have any cash to splash around!!

My hubby proposed to me in Edinburgh, but he did it a bit of a backwards way! We were looking in an antique jewellery store and he saw a really nice diamond ring and said thats nice, to which I replied oh yes that is gorgeous. So then he asked if maybe we should go into the shop and I could try it on, so we did and I joked that if it fitted he could propose. Anyway, it only fitted my little finger so I was a bit gutted but then he started haggling with the man in the shop over the price and asked if he paid cash could he get it any cheaper!! Got the ring (with a lucky sixpence thrown in lol) and my hubby said come on lets go up to the castle. By which time my legs had gone to jelly so I suggested the nearest pub instead and bought him a double whisky and a coke for me (was blooming driving!!) and he got down on one knee and proposed!! He was gutted I wouldn't go up to the castle as he said it sounded far more romantic when my friends asked!! x
  • Options
    Photocopies all over the house - I put up our wedding photos on the wall and it took him a month and a half to notice - when I say notice it was actually a friend of mine that was round and they were speaking about them it was then that hubby noticed!!!

Money is not growing on trees around here either so I will wait for the quote to come back but well have to wait 9 months until my 30th birthday.

My hubby's proposal wasn't romantic either - it actually involved me asking what was going on with our relationship after him telling me that he'd like to go and work abroad, me saying what's the point of us staying together if he wasn't thinking / planning the future with me. Him saying "well I just haven't given it much thought" me repeating my line and then him saying well do you want to marry me. When he actually got down on one knee with the ring I'd choosen that was a different matter. I didn't think the ring was ready yet. We were out with his family for a chinese to celebrate his sister's b'day. And half way through the meal a barber shop quortet (sp?) came over I thought it was a bit weird that the resturant had them in. Then they started singing about my hubby's sister b'day, thought it was even stranger that his family had hired them in for that. Then they started singing about me and my hubby got down on one knee with the ring. Well I've never been so embarassed in my life! What a bizarre idea!?! But my husband thought it was great and the perfect way to do it - at his sister's birthday meal in a (quite frankly shabby) chinese resturant with a barber shop quortet! And to top it off when I found out later on how much they'd cost to hire them I was cheesed off as I would have had a ring with a / bigger better diamond!!!

El x
  • Options
    lol El that is hilarious!!
  • Options
    Sounds like something from an American rom com!
    Poor chap must've been well chuffed with himself! x
  • Options
    lol El - I wonder how long it took him to come up with that and how long it took to organise??!!....

I don't have an eternity ring either - we haven't got a lot of spare cash at the mo but a couple of years ago just after Ophelia was born we came into a little bit of money and oh asked if there was anything I wanted - I asked for an eternity ring - didn't get one but can't complain as he got me a car instead (though he drives it at mo as its only a 3dr and the pram wont fit in it!!) x
  • Options
    Think I'd go for a car over a ring - just a tad more practical and not as hard to lose!
  • Options
    Oh dear El, thats pretty cheesy!! And yes.. a car is more practical.. and probably more expensive image

• Options
    Hi ElMac sorry to come crashing in here from January. I had heard that eternity rings were for the birth of your first child and when I was pregnant laid down some hefty hints (made up a story about someone at work who had had a baby and the husband brought the ring to the hospital lol - Alioli I didn't think anyone would do something that impressive in real life!)

Anyway after he had agreed that an eternity ring would be suitable compensation for stretch marks and the last i'll ever see of my dignity, my fingers swelled up and I had to take my engagement ring off. I got it back on after the birth using soap and we went on a little trip the three of us to get it which was lovely. Its Sapphires and Baguette diamonds and when your oh does take you let him take the lead because they always pick a bigger one than you would!

Sorry - I know I sound really materialistic and normally I'm not but I really love jewellery and when I look at this ring I think how nice it is that its my ring now but one day I will give it to Neve because it was bought to celebrate her birth.
  • Options
    Aww Lottie, that's lovely! Not sure Charlie would want mine tho! Now there's an argument for him getting me something for Gracie's birth...to give it to her when she's older! Think I've got enough rings for now....what could I plump for instead?!