Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Returning to Work Question

Does anyone know the situation on handing in notice whilst on maternity leave?

Basically I have had the basic government maternity entitlement (6 weeks at 90% pay and then 33 weeks at statutory, then 13 weeks leave at no pay).

I've always told my employer that I plan to take the whole year and I'm due to return to work at the begining of Dec.

I don't want to go back to this job and would like to hand my notice in in Aug/Sept this year. Then look for a part time job closer to home.

Do I have to go back to work for any length of time or can my notice period form part of my maternity leave and do I have to pay any money back to them???

Any help anyone can give me or if you know of any websites to look at, I would really appreciate it as I am worrying myself stupid about this.

Thanks xxxxx

Replies

• Options
    i don't think u have to return to work and u def don't have to pay any money back. Have a look on the govdirect website it has everything on there about maternity rights and returning to work x www.direct.gov.uk
  • Options
    Hi Rach,

Don't worry you def don't have to pay back any of your maternity pay. You need to give your employer the amount of notice required under your contract e.g. if you have to give 1 months notice you should inform them in writing at least a month before you are due to return that you wish to resign.
    You are still entitled to receive SMA or MA for the full period even if your employment ends as long as you haven't taken up a job elsewhere.

As for working part time your current employer does have an obligation to give reasonable consideration to you changing your hours, that is if you actually would like to go back just on reduced hours!

Have a look at the following, it gives you all the info on maternity rights etc in an easy to follow way.
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file34285.pdf

Liz xx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful

xxx