Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finally been listened to and got results!!!!!

I took cole to the docs in December cause his eczema has been getting worse and I told her I thought cole had a problem with milk (his sleeping and other stuff was different on cows milk/lactofree milk to how it is when on goats milk - such a clear difference that there had to be a problem) and she promised to talk about it at a follow up appt but she wanted to get the eczema under control first. We had a follow on appt after christmas and she listened to us. She didn't fob me off liket he hv or the stupid doc we saw earlier, she didn't just tell me to do CC like the hv without even trying to figure out if there was a problem. She referred us to the dietician which was such a huge relief to actually not be dismissed as talking out of my arse.

Well this morning at work I got a call from the hospital asking if i could get cole up there for an appt that morning as they had a cancellation. I managed it and the dietician is lovely - the same guy as i saw a few years ago. He listened, read the stuff I'd written up for the doc (saves me forgetting stuff0 and went through all cole's problems since he was a baby.

I was right!! He is milk protein intolerant!! I was right!!

Ok so at first I thought it was lactose intolerance but I was on the right track!

I actually could have cried when he was agreeing with me, it was jsut such a relief. We've been struggling with his sleepign again but he's working on 3 back molars coming through too so he's been an unhappy boy at night and we are shattered.

He's to have soya milk so tomorrow we are going to go buy calcium enriched soya milk and fingers crossed it starts to have some effect. We then start the fun process of checking ingredients in everything adn sorting out with nursery what he can eat - hopefully we'll see enough improvement that at his follow up appt in a couple of months we can start reintroducing things.

I say again.. I was right! And I'm so so so pleased to know whats wrong and hope we can sort cole out - poor mite, his eczema is getting really really sore. Snow has finally been useful for something as thats why the appt was free - someone couldn't get in and its great as he wouldn't have been seen till the end of feb otherwise so now it feels like we are a couple of months ahead on making some progress.

I know a lot of ppl have had CC work for them, but I am so relieved I didn't try it out of desperation - mummys instincts are best - I knew something wasn't right.

Btw - dietician also told me he didnt rate the lumpy food stage and says puree and finger food is a much better progression then on to normal stuff - so once again hv and her 'pushing lumpy food' was wrong!!

Also dietician said that lo's should be on vitamins till age 5 and there are some called healthy start vitamins taht are heavily government subsidised so are dirt cheap. Never been told about these by hv, or recommended to take them. Thought it worth mentioning image

Anyway..hope everyone is well, hopefully we'll be getting some sleep soon so will try and catch up properly

xx

Replies

• Options
    So glad you've got it all sorted and well done you on being right and sticking by your guns! Bet it's a relief to know for sure and start correcting his diet to his needs. Hopefully, he will start sleeping for you again too!
    At Gracie's 2 yr check, the HV gave us some of those vitamins...I'd never been offered them b4 and told her that. She said they've been free to kids under 5 for at least 8 years! You just take a card along to clinic and get some when they run out. You've just reminded me about them actually...never reallly used vits for anyone b4. Will get them out now and give to Alf n Gracie!
    Really pleased for you, now along with his '5 a day' ;\) and his vitamins and no milk protein, he'll be rockin!
  • Options
    That's great to hear uv finally been listened to and good for you sticking to ur instincts. Really hope now you know what the problem is it starts to make a difference and you all get some decent sleep.
  • Options
    Brilliant - hopefully Cole's eczema will start to improve and he'll start sleeping more ... As I said on fb - a mums instinct is usually right!
  • Options
    Thats great that someone has FINALLY listened to you! Fingers crossed the changes help woth Cole and that he starts improving soon xxx
  • Options
    Im really pleased for you all and hope that lots of positive changes come from finally finding out, and possibly some sleep do you think?? hehe xxx
  • Options
    Kia,

Glad you are getting answers - yes a Mummies instinct is always spot on. I do CC but can always tell the difference between his cries and would never leave him if I thought there was a prob.

Hopefully you can all start to get some much needed sleep!
  • Options
    So glad you have finally got the answers you needed! Totally crazy you weren't listened to before! Fingers crossed you see a big difference soon and start to get more sleep! xx
  • Options
    Fantastic, sorry it's taken so long but wonderful it's all been worth it. Reall y hope you begin to see improvement soon, good luck and well done mummy for standing your ground image
  • Options
    anybody tried these healthy start vitamins? first ive heard of them but if theyre supposed to have something id rather look into it and give em a try!
    ryan has had serious constipation problems since weaning onto solids and finally had hospital appt today following referral. he has said its just constipation, thank god no blockages or twisted organs so is on lactulose constantly for a month now (has had it before so am doubtful). am to increease his dose by 2.5ml after 7days if no improvement and so on. i hope this works i cant bare to see him in the pain he is in.
    now waiting for ENT to contact following referral for his constant ear infections!
    are we all gonna have a postivie year full of answers then? YES cos mummies know best dont we kia!! image xxx
  • Options
    Oh I hope the positive answers continue for you all

Max was on the healthy start vitamins from 6 months on hv advise due to being bf iron levels tend to drop around 6 months. they are dead easy just in a pipette and we added them to his cereal each morning - fell out of the habit at around 1yr old cos we had to go to an awkward clinic to get them. Might start them again as his eating is crap at the mo!
  • Options
    Glad you finally got answers Kia, and that Ryan has been seen, hope the lactulose works for him this time.

Going to ask HV about vitamins at his 2 year check in a couple of weeks time!
  • Options
    I have been trying in vain to get hold of a health visitor in my area since we moved 6mths ago and they dont call back or give a crap! Its so frustrating
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies image

Well we have seen some improvement - we've had quite a lot of good nights - still waking but once he woke first time he used tow ake every hour or two and now he has gone 4 or 5 hours before waking again - and some days he's woken at 6 or 6.30 and gone back to sleep!! Course he's currently got the last 4 molars coming through so thats not really bloody helping lol! His eczema is improving a lot too which is great. So glad I got the last minute dietician appt.

Have proved once again that hv is full of shit lol. We had his 2 year checkup and i explained about the milk protein intolerance and when she started writing stuff down she was saying 'and his lactose intolerance blah blah' so I said no he's fine with lactose, its milk protein he has a problem with and when i looked at his red book she'd written lactose intolerance with a little line off it saying milk protein like they are the same thing. You'd think she'd know the bloody difference wouldn't you!! So yesterday i rang up and left a snotty message telling her I wanted her to make sure his records were correct lol.

El - yep you are right about knowing the difference in crys. We leave cole to grizzle off to sleep at night but when he wakes in the night its always a 'somethings upsetting me' cry which is why I yet again told the hv I did not want to discuss 'sleep management' as she calls it cause it wouldn't help. Bet she loves me lol.

As for the healthy start vitamins..well I forgot to ask hv and she didn't mention them - given the dietician says kids should be on them till 5 you'd think she'd have said something really but there you go. Anyway the clinic where the appt is sells them but they didnt have any in, hadn't had any for a while and didn't know when they'd be getting some. I'm just gonna go to boots and get some lol.

Fingers crossed you get Ryan sorted out soon Holly, and hell yes..we do know best!

And ... 6 months to get hold of a HV. Thats bloody crap!! Not that they are much use lol. Good luck bluey sorting one out
  • Options
    haven't seen a hv in months and certainly don't know anything about a 2 year check. well done for sticking to your guns Kia and getting answers for Cole. sorry such a short message but I'm knackered and need to go to bed. I've been saying that since about 8. i think i must be getting old!
  • Options
    Lol I think we all are. I'll be off to bed soon too!

I hadn't seen the hv in over a year before this other than for injections and I really don't care either lol. I get way more help on here!! Sure you'll get a summons for a check at some point!

xx
  • Options
    Good luck holly: we're not on the vitemans because I think they're only needed if off toddler milk but we are still going strong on that stiff so I know he's getting all the goodies he supposed to.

KIA, really glad you are seeing improvement in cole, and great that you were able to know the route to go down. Your hv sounds as lovely and clever as mine. I swear if it wasn't for me going to the gp his sight still would have gone unnoticed! With comments like 'well he seems to be looking around the room all right' who needs mothers instinct lol!
    Hope you continue to see improvement and your hv moves on prontoimage