Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

had an implant!

Well not sure if anyone wants to know this or not but I finally sorted myself out and decided to get an implant. had been toying with the idea of the coil but just wasn't really convinced. i kept putting it off. I had to have it on monday as thats when our surgery has its family planning clinic. its a bit annoying that they normally have their various clinics on that day as its the only day i work all day!
i took a late lunch break and fortunately the medical centre is not too far away. i only get half an hour and i think i was about 40 minutes in all so not too bad.
They gave me a local aneasthetic and jabbed a huge needle in me which inserted the implant. she took the time to talk to me to let me know all the details. it didn't hurt but i've got a beautiful bruise! the next day was extremely sore but already now its almost completly better.
I just have to remember to go back in 3 years to have it replaced! I'm just hoping i'm one of the majority of people who has minor or no periods rather than be in the minority that has heavy periods or constant spotting!!

Replies

• Options
    Ouch! You are brave! I've seen the size of the needle from something on tv talking about the implant and that well and truly put me off lol! Hopefully the worst part is over though and as you say you will be one of the lucky ones with regards to your periods.

I came off the pill a few months ago as I had been getting migraines which is unsual for me so I put it down to the pill I was on. I need to sort something else out really as we have just been using condoms in the meantime but I don't fancy having an accident and getting pregnant again just yet! x
  • Options
    Ouch indeed, I hate needles! Hope it works out well for you.
    Liz, I too kept getting bad heads with the pill and then for a while after coming off it! I've only had a handful since having the coil fit late Nov so am so grateful for that! If you are considering the mirena coil, once its out you are fertile straight away again, unlike some other things which take a few months to get back to normal. When I told the doc I was using condoms b4 having my coil fit, she said it was only 85% safe these days (I daren't tell her the real contraception method we were using...ie withdrawal!!!image)
    Happy safe non-bd'ing!
  • Options
    Eeek 85% safe, that is a tad scary lol! Lucky Jacob isn't sleeping through properly yet as he is the best contraceptive ever lol!!
    My GP mentioned the coil when I went to her to go back on the pill but the one thing that puts me off is I read an article once about someone managing to fall pregnant while with the coil in and then while having the coil removed she lost the baby. No idea how it could have happened or if it was actually true but it still stuck in my head!

You were brave using the withdrawal method Ali! I'm sure you secretly want baby number 4 lol!

I think I would like to wait until Jacob is approaching 2 before ttc number 3. Part of me (at the moment) wouldn't be too sad if we stuck with just two but I'm sure I will feel broody again when I am getting more sleep and Jacob is toddling around. Hubby really wants a bigger family and I think it would be nice too ... even if we do end up with three boys and I am totally outnumbered with the tv remote lol! x
  • Options
    oh glad you got sorted Julesy.

(as you all know cos I never stop harping on about it) I LOVED my coil and will jump at the chance of having it again after this lo is born!
  • Options
    Sounds fab only having to go back in 3 years! Liz i got headaches with certain pill too, but changed the type and all fine now xx
  • Options
    You are brave! Not sure I could do it. The hormones must be the same and they disagree with me. Don't like the idea of the coil either. So we are still using condoms, which I don't like but can't think of a better option

Risky move Ali!