Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Which apples?

Hi
Does anyone know which apples i should use for puree? Do i use Bramley cooking apples or normal ones?

Replies

• Options
    Good point! I've always used gala or golden delicious as that's what we get. I just peel, chop, boil n blitz.
  • Options
    hiya

Ive got Lorraine Kelly's baby & toddler eating plan book and she says to use eating apples. I dont think it really matters what type because it all gets mashed anyway! But like Ali, for the 1st time that ive ever pureed anything i used golden delicious!

What a palaver that was (sorry-not to put anyone off cooking-it was my 1st time!!!) I peeled, cored and sliced the apples, boiled them and decided it would be a waste of time getting the processor out for 2 apples so used the sieve instead.

Mashed with a fork and divided into the pots. Mother phones in the meanwhile and i decide to gloat at my achievement. I explained how i did it and she asked 'you did get the puree that came out of the sieve?' NOOOOOOO. The thicko that i am thinks its smooth enough just being in the sieve! Sometimes i wonder at myself - why else would you need the sieve?!?!

To top it all i used a fork instead of a wooden spoon (which darling mother recommended after i had built up my arm muscles!) which took forever and i had to wash and sterilize all the bloody equipment again!

On a brighter note, pureed potatoes today with formula and was much easier as i had made all my mistakes yesterday- half the time! I have achieved something!!!

Sorry to rant on. I wonder where my brains have gone?!

• Options
    Thanks ladies will get some at asda tomorrow. Got a list of veggies to try! xxx
  • Options
    I am into short cuts - put the apples in a microwave bowl with bit of cooled water and zap for 5 mins. I then use a cheap hand blender (??7) asda and all ready for freezing. Only problem is as its all so easy I now have a freezer full of food. Think I am addicted to puree!
  • Options
    That's next weeks no 1 task. Puree mania!
    Well done Delia-Suz!
  • Options
    That sounds a lot easier! Could have posted that yesterday lol!!! Thanks for the tip

• Options
    Hey guys, my mother-in-law told me to use dessert apples as they are naturally sweet and there is no need to add sugar which is what you do when you use cooking apples as they are quite sour X
  • Options
    I've been using my electric steamer which is really easy - shove the fruit or veg into it peeled and chopped and it pings when the time is up! Soft enough then to blend up or push through a sieve and it helps keep all the vitamins/ minerals etc. Also I think steamed veg tastes loads better for some reason. Got my steamer free from Cotton Traders (or my mum did and gave it to me!).

Bren had some carrotts today and liked them but only when he could suck them from my finger lol! xx
  • Options
    Thanks for the name ali! liking the nick-name but i think i have a bit of a way to go yet!!!

Must get a hand blender. Thanks for the tip