Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A mum's worrying is never done! :roll:

So, After some hard times with Max's eating after he was ill at the end of dec we decided we were not going to keep giving him seperate meals or offering loads of things so we finally pushed his tea time back to 6pm a couple of weeks before we went to Oz which means we can get in from work and get something ready for all of us and eat together. For lunch he has sarnies, pasta and sauce, couscous or something too. Anyway no on a night time he gets what we get and either eats it or doesn't but more oftent han not he eats it now! Horray!

Stupidly today I found a leaflet my hv gave me when I was worried about it before we got this regime in place and since I am happy with his eating I foolishly read it and it has worried me again!

It says that full fat milk and dairy foods, meat, fish, fruit and vegetables and eggs are the most important things to give a toddler as they are nutirent rich, that young children's stomachs can't cope with whole meal pasta and brown rice,

Well fruit there is no probs with he eats loads but everything else well:

He doesn't drink ANY milk so gets a smidge on his brekkie and then would eat cheese all day and has a yog a day as well.

He hardly eats any meat - he will have a wafer thin slice of chicken, ham or turkey in a sandwich with cream cheese (but some days he pulls the meat out) he will eat mince in a spag bol sauce if it is blended (the sauce not the spaghetti) he occasionally eats some chicken we have put breadcrumbs on but more often not and that is IT - so probably 5 days out of the week he has no meat.

He used to eat tuna and salmon and cod but now we struggle to get him to have a fish finger and he won't entertain any other fish now.

He has never eaten eggs - I have tried egg mayo in a sandwich but it was a no go and as he eats all his food cold I haven't offered boiled or scrambled cos I think they would be gross!

Veg we can get into him in a whizzed up sauce on couscous or rice but the only whole veg he will eat is peas or cougettes - he used to eat EVERYTHING as finger foods but won't now - he will 'tongue taste' (something I do with autistic kids to get them to try new things stick out your tongue and touch it on there)

Oh and me and hubbie only ever havd wholewheat pasta and brown rice (both of which Max actually likes!

So it has made me feel like poo and realise that most days he gets next to no protein and no veg - in fact often on a night time he only eats potato and then his pudding the veg and meat gets left! I have put the meat down to him only having 4 top and 2 bottom teeth still so chewing is hard but hey maybe I should be worried?!

Replies

• Options
    Nah, I wouldn't worry. With past experience of fussy eaters, you'll probably notice that as with mine, Max will have phases of eating certain foods and not others and vice versa. Gracie has just started eating baked beans again this week after not having them for months. And the boys, well, they swap and change on a weekly basis!
    I think you only need to worry when he's eating nothing. What he eats will change loads but at least he's eating good stuff now.
    Kids eh? Who'd have em?! lol
  • Options
    Elijah has been through phases and we just ooffer him it now and if he doesnt eat it, try a few hours later again and then leave it at that. Cant force him. I never read any hv stuff as it would worry me and i can only do what i can do, and always have Elijahs best interests at heart and wouldnt give him anything harmful so thats it image xx
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry! Coles a rubbish eater and the only meat he generally has is the minimal meat content out of a jar - occasionally a bit of chicken and last night was huge celebration because he actually ate one of those fish & veg shape birds eye things for hte first time ever!!

As ali says..so long as they are eating something thats the main thing! At least your experiment with egg may wasn't as bad as coles first try - he took it out of his mouth and shoved it in my mouth! Yum!