Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sterilising weaning stuff?

Can't remember whether you have to sterilise all the bowls, utensils, storage pots/ice-cube trays etc when making pureed foods! Do you? If so, what?
I only sterilise her spoons atm but have a vague memory of pouring boiling water over/into stuff. Help!!
Bought a hand blender from Tesco's and sweet pots are bogof as are gala apples so gonna do those and carrots.

Replies

• Options
    Glad you asked this I wasn't too sure. I haven't so far (but only on day 2 of weaning) his hands are everywhere and then in his mouth so I figured is it worth it? I was surprised to see another thread a while ago saying you didn't need to strelize at all after 6 months. I'm sure it was to 12 months ten years ago.

El x
  • Options
    Freya will be in for a treat then eh?! I've just given Gracie some mashed banana in her rice and she loved it. That's the only thing other than rice she's had so glad she liked it. I'm at work tom aft so no cookin up a storm til Tues morn!
    Gracie still has between 5-7oz 5 times a day. She either wolfs the lot or leaves 2 oz or so, so about 28-35oz a day.
    She's squealing her head off atm trying to roll onto her front! Must be all the banana energy lol.
    Hope the carrots go down well!

El -Did Oakley like his mush?

• Options
    Ive only sterilised the spoons. Wash rest of stuff in hot water and leave to dry on their own.
    Jack started on just rice then i added some mashed banana which he loved. This weekend hes tried carrot and sweet potato and loved them too. Just roasteda butternut squash whilst sunday lunch was cooking so will be trying that this week. Lots of orange poo!!!image
  • Options
    My hv says you don't need to sterilise anything but bottles. I've read elsewhere though that you should sterilise everything. Annabel karmal says its advisable to sterilise bowls/spoons and to keep cooking equipment clean as possible as its not always possible to sterilise them.

I'm sterilising bowls and spoons though and I'll sterilise everything I can until Cole starts chewing hte carpet. After that I'll just stick to sterilising bottles. If I had a dishwasher I'd probably not bother sterilising anything but bottles.

Gonna make a trip to tesco next week for one of those hand mixer thingys...hope they have them in stock! Hubby is off all next weekend so hopefully we can get stuff pureed. Cole actually really seemed to enjoy his fruity yoghurt breakfast stuff (at lunch time) today and was opening his mouth wide some of the time and smiling. I evenm ade him seconds.

Ali - glad to hear Gracie has the same milk habits as Cole -it was bothering me that some days he has quite a bit more milk than other days.
  • Options
    Sounds like all the babys are getting on really well with food image Im a bad mum and dont sterilise any of Hollys weaning stuff personally I dont see the point unless you are going to sterilise your entire house.
    Hollys loving solids and tried corgette today which she loved, the only thing she isn't to keen on is broccoli.
  • Options
    Kia-Jack is the same with the milk. he takes anything between 29-35oz with two spoonfeeds xx
  • Options
    Ali - took well to the rice on Sat. Seemed to push most of it out yesterday. So gave yogurt and fruit today (out of a packet dried and you mix it with water) he seemed to really enjoy that, very little wastage.

The only prob is he 'found his hands' a few weeks ago and tries stuffing them in even when I'm feeding him!

Got a couple of questions:

1. When my daughter was a baba you could get these heat changing spoons and bowls so you knew that the food was at the right temp. I've looked but can't find any, has anyone else seen any?

2. In Sainsburys they have this flat plastic grater type of thingy that says you don't need to cook fruit / veg you just rub it aganist and it purees it, therefore it's quicker and you lose less of the goodness. Anyone bought one of these? I can't see how it would actually puree it as apose to grating.

Thanks

El x
  • Options
    El - Tommy Tippee do the heat changing spoons & I've seen them in boots. Asda had some too

That grater thing sounds weird!
  • Options
    That grater thing does sound weird! It surely can't mean all veg too?? Raw spuds are yuck!
    Gracie permitting I'm gonna cook sweet pots, carrots n apples tom morn and will give her some for tea and the breaky stuff I bought at 11am feed. Found loadsa little pots I used for Alfie but must've chucked the ice-cube trays. They only had one left at tesco yest so I'll put a blob of each into a pot for a yummy tea.
    She almost fell asleep on the rug tonight b4 having her bottle, bless her!
    Any orange poo today from the carrot gang?! image
  • Options
    Jacks had two days of carrot and two days of sweet potato=lots of orange poo!!! Hes going to try avacado and banana tomorrow told him its called avabanana!!:lol:
  • Options
    Hunibuni - you are lost on here, you should be on telly with jokes like that! image
  • Options
    We had this discussion this morning in my breast-feeding support group. The HV said that you need to sterilise everything and suggested putting bowls in boiling water for 10 mins. After she'd left, everyone had a good laugh and said 'no way' would they do that. Some people just wash and put in the cupboard ready for use, and others pour boiling water over the bowls. The general consensus is that for stuff that actually goes directly into their mouths e.g. spoons, these should be sterilised, but not the other things. Ella not weaned yet, but I'm storing up all the info for a few weeks' time.
  • Options
    Laugh at a hvs suggestion??? How very dare you!!! LOL

Boil them for 10 mins? You only need to boil teats for 5 mins if no steriliser. What a load of tosh!

Ooh, bad mummies us!
  • Options
    I never ever laugh at hv's suggestions..their every word is law and there is no way I'd ever do anything with Cole without their say so!

You all believe me...right? image

I use tiny food storage pots at the moment for Coles porridge so its not a hassle to just chuck it in the steriliser with the bottles. By the time it comes to using bigger bowls I won't bother doing anything but wash them.

• Options
    Kia... funnily enough i dont believe you-i dont know why?!?!

I sterilise alfies spoons and little pots but not the sieves and pans etc etc just pour boiling water over them.

Dont know whether this is right but it works for me and alfie and thats what counts!

Im getting more and more cross with the government guidelines. The other day i was stressing over 1 of the 'guidelines' and suddenly something clicked inside me and i ranted to hubby that alfies OUR son and not the governments! I know whats best for him-it starts getting too much with tmi.

Soz about that! Needed that!

• Options
    Think boiling water will do for pans and stuff when we get round to doing puree stuff - at the end of the day the food will be cooked in boiling water (well steam in the steamer) so that should kill off any bad things.

Bollocks to the government thats what I say - I'll always do what i think is right for Cole. Don't get me started on what I think of the government but they need to stop pushing stuff on people and givet hem the information to make their own informed choices.
  • Options
    Here here! Well said! x
  • Options
    Woo! Got one of those mixers in tescos yesterday (and 2 books for me... I'll get to read them sometime!) - washed all the ice cube trays and today I'll buy carrots, sweet potato, pear, apple ummm not sure what else but I want enough to fill 8 ice cube trays!! Told hubby he's cooking this weekend - said the mixer was his new toy!!

I also got a bargain of cow & gate cereals on 4 for ??1 for the porridge and 29p for some others so Cole better like porridge! I'm so sad that i organised all my packet cereals into best before date orders (Cole was napping!) cause the cheapie ones need to be eaten first!
  • Options
    I cooked too much sweet pot and carrots yesterday - not enough pots! 17 ready meals as the ice cube trays I bought from Tesco stink! They're rubber and pong big style. Any one else got these and found they stink? Have you used them? I think it'll make the food smell too, but let me know if it does/not! She loved the sweet pot.
  • Options
    I haven't got a lot of room in my freezer - it's tiny so won't be cooking up a storm too much. Lo loves banana (which is great as you don't have to cook it just mash it).

El x