Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding

Has anone let there lo's feed themselves yet? Ive started letting Holly feed herself her fromage frais and rice pudding. What a mess lol She is getting better but each time I do it she needs a bath and a new outfit lol I wasn't sure what age you were ment to start?

Replies

• Options
    I haven't let Bren have the spoon yet as he just wants to bang things at the moment lol! He does feed himself solid stuff though that he can hold, just not the yogurt or fruit puree! He is a messy eater anyway so I dread to think how bad it will be when he is holding the spoon!

I'm not sure how old they should be, Bren is 9 and a half months now, he getting the hang of his sippy cup so maybe when he gets better with that I will be brave and let him try holding the spoon! x
  • Options
    I was wondering this the other day but there is no way Max is ready for it yet - when he starts to want to hold it etc and shows he can get ti to his mouth successfully I guess I will start!
  • Options
    I havent tried this one yet! Elijah is 10mths and although hes not a messy eater, hes actually great- not sure if i would trust him with a spoon, hes too much of a scamp! guess ill have to brave it soon tho!
  • Options
    finlay feeds himself all hi fingure food and then things like macaroni cheese and ravioli etc i out on him tray and he feeds himself with hands.very messy but he eats well then rather than me trying to feed him!

i do give him spoon with things on but he flicks it EVERYWHERE!

The water beaker he tackeled a while ago i just leave it on floor where he plays and he helps himself and gulps away even can drink whilst crawling with one hand........................hehehhe loves his water!

• Options
    Gracie tries to grab the spoon but I'm not sure I want her feeding herself yet. She's such an independent little madam anyway...I want to keep something babyish for me to do with her lol. I waited till the boys were older than this, but as usual, I can't remember how old they were!
    I'd say do it if they can and are getting enough in their mouths as oppose to the floor!
  • Options
    Sam loves trying to feed himself. He does it with his finger foods and when he has finished most of his dinner I let him have the bowl ad spoon and he attempts to try and feed himself - as others said very messy! Bowl nearly in his head this evening!!!!!