Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Size 1 or 2?

I am breastfeeding Bryn but I want to start introducing some bottles.... I gave him a bottle last night as a top up and he took 3oz (but he had just been bf'd).... Because I bought the bottles not long after he was born they have size 1 teats on them - because hes not used to bottles do I keep him on those for a while or because hes bigger do I buy the 2nd size and put him on those ones?? :roll: Help please, thank you. Em xx

Replies

• Options
    I think I'd be tempted to try the size 1 for a bit so he can get used to the bottle - you've got them so its not costing you any more to keep using them for a bit. How long did it take him to finish the 3oz though?

With Cole - I started thinking about switching when he was taking a long time to get through a small amount of formula and he was falling asleep before finishing on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd do what Kia says - Bryn'll soon let you know if he needs next size up as he'll either fall asleep or cry if the hole's too small. Gracie's been on different sizes according to the thickness of the milk we're trying for her sickness and she's just gone back on size 2's.
  • Options
    Thank you both. I tried him with another bottle today and he wasn't having any of it!! He took ages last night to drink the 3oz but he didn't fall asleep or cry he just gave up! Does formula make them more windy? He's been really windy today and very unsettled, I don't know if thats my milk or the bottle thats had that effect but its been pretty awful. Thanks again....I'll try again for a while with the 1st size ones to see how it goes. Ali, I hope Gracie is managing to keep her milk down x
  • Options
    Hi Em,
    My doc said if teats are too small or too big the baby takes more air in so maybe the 1s are too small and as he's sucking, he's gulping air?
    All mine were better with getting their wind up once on bottles and stopped being colicky - think i must've had pretty potent boob juice!
    We're off to the hosp tom re the sick so i'm hoping they have more to offer and that it works!
  • Options
    Hi Em, i'm having exactly the same trouble as you with bottles.

I'm trying the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles that came with size 1 teats but Paige will not even attempt at sucking on them, so i've now bought some size 2 teats and i tried them yesterday and still not had any luck.

I don't really know if it's the type of teat i'm using or if Paige is just flat out refusing to attempt the bottle, all she does is push it out of her mouth with her tongue and then cry.

I don't want to stop bf just yet so i won't push her too much, i'm just trying again every couple of days.

Good luck, Shell & Paige
  • Options
    Hi,

I gave Henry a bottle for the first tie two days ago to try and get him to sleep longer at night and he wolfed 5oz down in a size 1 teat at 6.30 and slept for 6 hours! So I thought I'd try it at his 8 o'clock feed last night but he would not take it! He just cried and cried until I gave him breast but he then slept for 7 hours! So I'm not sure whether it was the bottle formula filling him up or he's just starting to sleep longer!

I gave him expressed breast milk in bottle yesterday and he took that no probs so think that he was probably just comfort eating at 8!!

xxx
  • Options
    Shell 311, I'm in the same boat as you. Ella had taken a few bottles of expressed milk 3/4 weeks ago, but now she's on a strike! I think she knows that if she holds out long enough she'll get the real thing. Have tried 'closer to nature' bottles with no luck. Like you're LO, she just rolls the plastic around in her mouth then spits it out. She's not impressed. I'm not stressing so much about it now as I'm realising it's not forever and I should just enjoy this period of breastfeeding while I can. It'll be over too soon, and then I know I'll miss it.