Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nappy patting but.......

Well I think he's ready for potty training but.........
He taps his nappy constantly to tell me he needs changing, however he doesn't pee when I take it off, doesn't always have a nappy, and I have a sneaky suspicion he just enjoys the fact he's communicating and gets to explore the bathroom wherever we happen to be! (thus suspicion is increased by the fact he'll pat his nappy again within quite literally seconds of leaving the bathroom)
so..... Is he ready for potty training do you think and have any of you got any tips as to how I can progress with this so he does actually pee, do I just leave him bare bummed all day? Aaaarrrggh I'm so confused! Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Im not gonna be much help im afraid, but wanted to reply!
    It sounds positive that hes starting to become aware of his nappy and what hes doing and then telling you.
    I thought Elijah was ready as he would tell me 'bum change' but then the few times ive actually tried to leave his nappy off he just will not go in the potty. Hasnt been once, although has sat on it lots! He will sneak off into his bedroom and go in there! So i havent done it since as i figured he wasnt ready yet! x
  • Options
    I would leave a potty lying around or let him wander around until he wees then he can see he is doing it, and u can try to get to the potty quick! i think once they start to notice they are weeing and pulling at the nappy they are aware they are wet and its harmless to see if they want to try for a wee on the potty.
    Children seem to be ready at different stages, ryan is my first but have worked in nurseries for 6 years and have seen some at the age of 2 going straight in to pants and some in preschool already 3 still un pull ups.
    i cant get ryan to sit on potty, he doesnt like it so will wait til summer, but a little boy born on the exact same day came back to nursery after christmas in pants!
    sorry for the ramble, but i think its good to follow their lead and if he is happy to be nappy less and you can get him on a potty in time he may get the idea of what he needs to do! have u bought him pull ups? he could pull them down himself when you change him.
    good luck!
    xxx
  • Options
    Ive been putting Jack on his potty after breakie lunch and tea for a couple of months now. He happily sits on it and does a wee and we have had the occasional poop! Ive also told nursery and they been doing it 2 but he never does anything at nursery! I dont think he knows when hes wet but does know when he pooed!
  • Options
    My cm trained ds1 at 26m by simply letting him wander around in his undies and havin the potty out. He was talking in full sentences at that point and so could tell her when he needed it. He was out of nappies after 1 week (apart from nights) and only ever had 2 wet accidents. Ace!
    Ds2 was a bit slower, at 2.5yr but he was out of nappies at night at a similar age. He was slower to speak and also cos Gracie was due 2m after he was 2, it seemed a bit hectic at home! He was dry within about 2 weeks with a few accidents.
    My cm also says it's better to train them when it's warmer...the cold obv makes them wanna wee more and also it's colder wandering round in just your undies! lol
    Gracie's now telling me when she's pooed and also pulls her nappy off sometimes. She's sat on the loo seat (ds2 went straight on the loo, which I prefer to using a potty!) a few times, but not wee'd yet. I shall prob train her during easter hols when we're both off work and it's warmer. But, each to their own and if you think he's ready, get the potty out and encourage him to have a go!
  • Options
    If you feel up to it it might be worht giving it a try but be prepared to go back with no pressure to nappies if it is not the right time. He sounds a bit of a cheeky monkey and you may be right that he likes the fact he is communicating and getting a response!
  • Options
    Thanks. I might try then, I had worried the lack of speaking might be a problem but as he uses sign I 'think' it shouldn't be a problem. He's been in pull ups since about 10months lol as he hated lying down for the nappy change so pull ups allowed him to stand making it more enjoyable for both of us. He will sometimes sit on the potty but thinks to wee wee is make the 'sssssssss' noise as that's how I stupidly started him lol! 'are you going to wee wee in your potty sssssss' boys! Tsk!
    As he's definitely patting his nappy I'll give it a go but not going to push it as it's not worth the stress, i know i'm not going to have an 18yr old still in nappies and I've heard the older they are the quicker it is anyway. Thanks all will update if worth it image
  • Options
    Philip is trying very hard and will go on the potty or toilet at every nappy change sometimes only doing a 5p size dribble sometimes a huge one! He likes me to go at the same time which could be interesting if we don't get him out of that habit quickly! I did him a reward chart 2 weeks ago with 50 squares on with smiles every 5 where he gets a small bag of haribo sweets and then a big treat every 25, thought it would take ages to fill but the monkey only has 2 more stickers to get to get his second big treat! Soon as he's done he comes out of toilet and asks for his star. Aiming to go for easter, same as Ali to try and get into pants completely, but we'll see, not going to push it. SOrry gone off on a bit of a ramble there, lol!

He'll do it when he's ready, certainly sounds like he's ready to give it a go though! x