Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Choking

Had the fright of my life yesterday evening - I gave Bryn some gripe water through one of those syringes and I thought I was doing it really slowly (I've been giving him gripe water for a while now with no problem) however he started choking really badly..... I took him out of his bouncy chair and put him over my knee and started patting his back, when I lifted him up he had started to go grey and his eyes were rolling back. I can honestly say the only time I have been that scared was when Ophelia had a fit last year (she had a high temp and a virus).... anyway after putting him vertually upside down and hitting his back for what seemed like forever he started to breathe again.... unfortunately it really upset Ophelia so there were plenty of hugs all round yesterday evening! I didn't sleep much last night as I was constantly watching him....He seems fine today and it didn't stop him from feeding normally. I don't know whether I should take him to the clinic today to get checked over by the hv though. Hopefully that wont happen again... Just if you're using a syringe to give anything to your lo then please be careful - I thought I was but these things happen

[Modified by: Emalenna on 18 February 2008 09:40:09 ]

Replies

• Options
    aaw ema that sounds scary. ihope he is ok, am sure he is fine. dont really have any advice except maybe make sure u push the gripe water into his cheeks so it doesnt shoot down his throat, or maybe he gulped it and thats y he reacted that way.
    i hope ur ok what a shock.
    have a lovely day and dont worry too much(easier sed than done i no!)
    xx
    xx
  • Options
    oh Em that must have been so scary. I don't have any advice I am afraid but i guess getting him checked out by the hv or gp is a good idea. hope he is feeling better today

jillycat
  • Options
    im not suprised you was so scared! same thing happened to me when tommy was 6 weeks old, my mum reacted so quick though but it felt like ages until he started breathing again. they should have advice on using the syringes, hope your baby is feeling better now and i hope you are too xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys - spoke to my hv & she said Id done the right thing - just as well I paid attention when I was showed what to do 16 years ago! Hopefully I will never need to do it again x
  • Options
    How scary...you were very quick to act though and knew what to do. Hope you're all over the shock now. My friend's started to look for a first aid course for us to go on...hv should run something similar for kids n bubs 1st aid, shouldn't they? I'd def go.
  • Options
    alioli - the local post natel group are having a resusitation course but I can't take Ophelia along (they don't allow older siblings)... Hv thought because I knew what to do I didn't need it but I would like to be shown by an expert again so she has organised the woman that does the course to come round to my house to show me one to one - which is really good of her....Have you asked your hv whether there is someone who could come round to see you at home or she may know of something local to you. Its definitely something I think everyone should know - it should be part of the general ante natel care. x
  • Options
    Thanks Emma, I'll ask her or one of the others when i take Gracie to be weighed this week. I did 1st aid course at uni but that's 12 years ago, way too long ago.
    You'd think that baby groups would have a creche on or something for older, pre-school siblings. It's important stuff a lot of people will miss out on.
  • Options
    Know how you feel Emma. Alfie's had colic so i bought some gripe water and gave it to him with the syringe. He did exactly the same- choked and gagged. Had to whip him out of his rocker and whack his back-horrible.
    Doesnt sound as bad as Bryn though. I think your insticts just kick in on how to try and help them.
    My eldest also had a fit a few years back when she had a high temp. That was not nice either esp as it was in the middle of the night (and i was on my own). I didnt call anybody and just gave her a cold flannel and some calpol. Felt really bad the next day that i hadnt seeked medical advice but the doctor said that i did exactly what they would have advised anyway. Like i say i think the old instincts kick in!
    No wonder im going grey and im only 26!!!
    Hope Bryn is ok now
  • Options
    Happened to us on Saturday too, I forgot to give Philip his colief and a couple of hours later he was in agony so we gave him some gripe water, which he guzzled (think he likes the taste!) and some went down the wrong way, my god did he scream, did same as you, whacked him hard on the back, but i too spent the night constantly checking him as he sounded really raspy and snuffly, it is mega scary.

My local post natal group also runs a resuscitation class, a friend also has the number of a first aid trainer who will run a baby first aid course if we can get 12 mums together for her so will be trying to sort that out now.

Hope Bryn and all the others are ok
  • Options
    how scary..glad he's ok!!

we did have a first aid section on our antenatal class but I'm not sure I'd remember what to do in a panic. I think it should be a class that is regularly offered to parents just to make sure we remember!!