Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

As promised...the weaning talk!

After telling her about Gracie's reflux and that the paed said solids may help, here's what she said (and for once, i think i'm gonna do it as it makes sense!)....

Start in 2 weeks time (when she'll be 18wk) by giving a few teaspoons of baby rice after a bottle of my choice (think i'll do teatime one). Give normal bottle amount, minus what's used to mix with the rice, as milk's the main food till 6 month.
Then, after 2 week of rice, give her rice for breakfast after a bottle, and then give mash n pureed veg at tea time, again with milk. She can have any veg and she didn't say we had to intro one at a time, tho i will to see what she likes/dislikes. At 5 mth they can have readybrek for breaky.
After a month of 2 meals a day (she'll be 6 mth by then), she can have 3 meals a day, breaky (which can include readybrek or weetabix), lunch and tea of anything we eat as a family. Meats, veg, pots, rice, pasra etc she even said mild chilli or curry! She didn't say to avoid anything, but i'm gonna check! Obviously it has to be low in salt (we don't add it anyway cos of the boys) and it'll have to be pureed til she's older. Hv said the more you introduce, the less fussy an eater they'll be!
Also, i asked about follow on milks and was given the same reply as 5 yrs ago...they are a bit of a gimmick and ploy by milk companies to carry on using their brand as all the iron they need comes in their food at that age. You can use full fat cow's milk in food eg mash, cereals from 6 mth but need to give formula in bottles or boob juice obv! At 6 mth they can have less milk but still need between 17-20 oz milk a day.
Offer cooled boiled water with food. Don't give honey till 12mth or any nuts till 5 yrs.

Phew...I hope that helps! If i remember anything else i'll add it on. I was pleasantly surprised that she said to start at all b4 6 mth, but i was ready with the 'my boys were weaned earlier' counter-attack!

Happy weaning everyone! The next chapter in the December babies lives has begun! or will do shortly!
:\)

Replies

• Options
    Don't know why 3 came up...must be soooooo important!!! lol
  • Options
    Gracie looks gorgeous in that photo!!!
    Ive decided im not saying anything to my hv about weaning as do not want a lecture about alfie starting too early-ive only seen her 3 times since he was born anyway as there are diff hv at the clinic when i get him weighed.
    Gave alfie some baby rice today after missing out yesterday as was starting to worry about doing it too early but i know hes ready as he was not happy yesterday and wolfed it down today within 5 mins - greedy like his daddy!!!
    Bought Lorraine Kelly's Baby & Toddler Eating Plan from a discount book shop for ??1.99 and its really good. Gives you loads of recipes for each stage and gives you rough meal planners. Its not an in-your-face book, if you know what i mean?! Lots of great ideas but to do at your own leisure.
    Hows gracies reflux anyway? Havent been on for so long that im sooo out of the loop lol!
  • Options
    Thank you Ali - makes perfect sense - sounds the same as I did with Ophelia - makes a change for us to agree with a hv!! lol x
  • Options
    Sounds good Ali thanks for that! Its going to be so weird when we can give Bren some 'proper' food but I am really looking forward to it!

Anyone got a highchair yet? I'm thinking of getting a basic one from ikea that is the equiv of about ??15 and has really good reviews for how easy it is to clean etc. For those who have had los before do you have any advice on what to look for?

Ali - one bit of advice that I read that I thought sounded quite good was to give the first feed during the first half of the day i.e. breakfast or lunch so if there is any reaction or vomiting they are awake (or at least you are!) when it happens.

xx
  • Options
    Thanks Ali ,as Jack is my first its all new to me and you read and get told so much conflicting stuff. I was thinking of starting Jack in next month or so anyway as hes showing a few signs and my hv is a bit of a wet lettuce really so wasnt going to start asking her.
    The new pic of Gracie is lovely xxxx
  • Options
    Cheers! In that case Liz, i think i'll give it her earlier! We bought a great highchair which lasted both boys but got a new one in the Jan sales ??65 from ??100! Both had wheels, reclining seats (recommended if lo has a bottle with meal or snoozes afterwards!), two trays - both detachable so one can have the toys on while one's for food, detachable, washable, wipeable padded seat cover, toy basket underneath, 5 point harness, lowers in height ermmmmm.......Gracie's also has a thing on the seat that stops her sliding...looks rather phallic but there you go!!!
    They fold up but are still quite big, good job we've got plenty of space...for little people they don't half take up a lot of room!
  • Options
    loving the new pic ali.

did the hv give you any reason for waiting for 2 weeks?

I thought you were meant to introduce a new food every few days only so you could see if there were any reactions to it - did your hv mention that?

IT sounds awfully soon at 6 months to be introducing lo to everything family eat for tea!

I think before getting a high chair, we are gonna get a bebe pod (like the bumbo but it has a tray) but its good to have a list of things to look out for in a high chair... I wouldn't have thought about reclining seats..
  • Options
    No reason for waiting 2 weeks but she at 1st said 'oh i think she'll go another month then' after i told her when i'd weaned the boys. But i did tell her we're on hol next week and wanted to do it sometime while hubby was off work. Plus the booket says 17 wk (not that i'm at all swayed by books or men in suits as you know!) and i don't think she's ready yet.
    With the boys i made meals for them around 7 mth, as opposed to cooking separate veg, meat, rice, pots etc and mixing up. When i can tho, i'll give her what we're having as it's easier! Minus gravy or rich sauces tho - not too much salt! She didn't mention intro one food at a time but i'll do it for first 2 weeks, a new food every 2 days or so, after the 2 wk of rice.
    Reclining h/chairs are well good - wish i could have one!
  • Options
    Thanks Ali
    All sounds really useful - I too have older ones - but it seems an age ago that I had to do this. Gave Sam more purred apple today and he is loving it. Def the right time for me to try, but not all babies are the same. As one person said, only you know your baby and should trust your instincts with your own lo.
    Glad to know just one meal for the first couple of weeks and then to bring in another. I don't know about anyone else, but I am excited about this bit. My older 2 think its great.
  • Options
    Kerryg - I'm excited too! I love watching them take their 1st mouthful, so cute! How old are your older 2? How are you getting on with 3?! I love it, but need a bit of me time soon!
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this Ali, I don't think Amy is ready to start on solids just yet (she's 14 weeks now) but it's nice to hear a hv talk positively about starting and how to go about it.

My friends little boy (who is 11 months) has all the same food they eat (minus rich sauces etc) and she has always done that, pureeing things from the start.

I can't wait to start feeding Amy solids, they're all changing and growing so fast now - they're not newborns anymore!!

Highchairs - another minefield to explore along with travel cots!!!
  • Options
    Sorry Ali - not been able to get on today. Sam is doing really great with the weaning and daddy is loving getting invlolved as I am breastfeeding and so he loves the fact he can do his bit. My older 2 are 12 and 9 and so I get lovely time in the day with Sam and then they get to help and play when they get in from school. But having to be a mum to older kids and a baby is difficult - mixing watching football on a sunday morning and trying to feed has proved challenging. I def know what you mean about me time. Had my first night out with no children last weekend couldn't wait to get home. Sam was def ready for his solids - he has taken pureed apple and a bit of farleys rusk already and loved them. Hope it carries on like this - and last night I got a full night of 7 hours! He has never done that.
  • Options
    Well done Sam on going for 7 hours!!
  • Options
    At least my boys are not into footy yet! We've only got swimming lessons for half an hour once a week so far (which i like as i sit nattering to my cousin!). I know we'll soon be ferrying them all over the shop!
    Bet you're well chuffed Sam went so long! Hope it continues! x
  • Options
    Oh man..I'm dreading it when Cole gets old enough to be aware of football. Hubbys family are football obsessed (hence the ??11.99 football babygrow!!!) and I'm sure they will be assuming that he'll be interested! They'd better not try sending up mini football kits!!
  • Options
    Thank Ali for posting the info. I must admit ididnt waited till the 18th week but i wasnt far off it. Eve is taking to the rice very well i havent used it on a daily basis just yet but we are working towards that. Lets just say im monitoring the pooping situation to ensure her little system doesnt get blocked up before the next small spoonful is given.
  • Options
    Well, after going docs for a 'sicky' review, he was well happy for me to start weaning Gracie. It was almost as if he couldn't suggest it cos when i mentioned it, he was well chuffed! He said in most reflux cases, weaning stops the sicking, as i'd researched b4 going. I'm sooooo hoping that it does!
    Gracie's face was a picture when i gave her the baby rice (was quite thick for a 1st taste, so added more milk) but she had quite a bit then finished her bottle. Who'd have thought a year ago I was poas and now I'm weaning my baby!
  • Options
    well done Gracie hope you enjoyed your rice.
    Ive been giving Jack it since Thurs and he ate two mouthfulls on Thurs and has ate the whole lot since he seems a lot more satisfied bless him!!!
  • Options
    Well done Gracie and hope the weaning does help with the sicking.

I think I'll start Cole again this weekend (hubby has saturday off so we get 2 whole days together so he won't miss stuff).

My hv rang me today (dunno where she's been haven't heard from her in weeks!!) and she's coming round on Wednesday for the weaning talk. She asked if I'd started and I said yes but stopped but we were going to start again though. She did say did I want her to come so I figured I might as well - she might have something useful to say. I think she might have me figured out as someone who doesn't go by the wonderful government guidelines and who is quite capable of researching on my own so hopefully she will be useful! I'll try and take notes and write up on here what she says.
  • Options
    Hi,

I took Bren for his first jabs today (they start them at 3 months over here) was more traumatic for me then him! He cried a bit and then fell asleep! He has been pretty restless so far this evening but I'm hoping if i give him a bit more calpol before bed he will sleep ok tonight.

Getting to the point though my hv asked about weaning and I said I was thinking about giving him some baby rice around 4 months expecting her to say to leave it as long as possible and she just said yes and that this was the norm over here! I was very surpised! She must have noticed my reaction as she said 'I'm sure it is the same in the UK isn't it?'. To which I of course agree but added that it was anywhere between 4 months to 6 months. She seemed very relaxed about it and just said to start him on little bits of baby rice to see how he got on and to take it from there!

Well done Gracie for being a big girl and eating her rice, fingers crossed it does the trick and you can start to reduce your washing Ali!! x