Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Flat Head Syndrome...

Just wondering if anyone elses lo has this. My Tyler has and it's quite bad. Just need advice really.xx:\?

Replies

• Options
    Sorry I dont have any advice but I was always lead to believe it would just fix itself? xxx
  • Options
    Does he still sleep on his back? May get better if he starts sleeping on his front? Not saying put him on his front tho, just see if there's a difference if and when he stops lying on it. My eldest had a slight flat head at one side and that corrected itself in time.
    Has the gp said it's def FHS instead of him just having a flatter bit due to birth etc?
  • Options
    sorry i dont really either as fin sleeps on belly so not got it!!! but my two friends lo's have it - the one thats 5 now still has it a bit but not really noticeable now with hair... apparently it shoukd correct itself to a point...prob when they stop staying in one place to sleep.. if really bad then hv should pick up on it - i saw on baby channel a hat thing they can where to help correct it but it wasn't available yet on nhs so cost a fortune!!! i dont think it does any damage but i would ask hv to put your mind at rest!!!
  • Options
    Cole had it a bit but it seems to be getting better. Get your gp or hv to measure his head circumference to see if its a problem - thats what I did at the 6 week check cause the doctor said that was the best way of checking how bad it was. If you are worried at all then go to the docs
  • Options
    A friend who had baby a few weeks after me has it - I mean her baby does and her GP has prescribed a hat for him. I think she is getting it on the NHS not sure.
    Def mention to your GP
  • Options
    oh perhaps thats the hat thing that was on baby channel it wasn't on hns then but maybe now... i was preg when watched it... worth a go!!!

xx
  • Options
    I read on another thread somewhere someone was saying to place objects on other side to encourage child not to always lie in that position.
  • Options
    i was going to say the same as becci, they say you need to attract their attention on different sides, with mobiles or something and alternate where you put it so baby is not always applying pressure on same side, i think one mum on here had said her los cot was next to a wall when they realised lo was always looking into the room and got flat head they just moved cot to other side for a while and it corrected itself. good luck and if you are really concerned its always worth getting dr (personally i dont bother with hv but up to you) to check it out. good luck and happy self fixing
  • Options
    I was thinking of the hat but doc says he can't on nhs and would cost ??2000!!!!If I had the money I would pay for it. it doesn't bother him and he's doing what he should be doing but I don't want to say that and him have a mishapen head for years!!!. Poor baba, I try keeping him upright in his door bouncer or his walker in the day and only lie him down for his naps. We'll see! xx
  • Options
    2000! there was a post somewhere on this site think it may have been on baby quite a while ago about flat head and i vaguely remember someone mentioning a special pillow, not certain though sorry i cant be more specific but you may find the link or get a reply from same group if you post there good luck
  • Options
    Hi... Bryn has a really flat head - he was born with a beautifully round head but now the back is completely flat... I googled this and found an 'official' site... it said that it in no way harms the baby and the 'hat' was controversial has for any effect to be seen they have to wear it constantly for 3-4 months. It also says that most cases correct with time. I'm hoping that now he doesn't mind being on his front it will start to improve. You can buy a little pillow that they sleep on but I think thats to use from birth to stop it happening in the first place... (i think i saw one in the babiesrus catalogue) I spose it could stop it getting any worse. x
  • Options
    Ohhhhh I think my friend must be telling me porkies!!! She does like to elaborate on the truth!!! Sorry if I made you think it could be got on the NHS. Feel really bad. xx
  • Options
    yeah thought it was a couple of thousand - maddness!!!

hopefully it will correct itself in time!!!

xxx