Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Too strong?

Just wondering whether I should stop using the bouncy chair we have for Bryn - hes started trying to pull himself up as if hes trying to sit upright and I'm worried that he might overbalance. Is anyone elses lo doing this? If so, are you still using your chair?

Also, was wondering whether to buy a bumbo - is it worth it? I didn't have one for Ophelia but as Byrn really likes sitting up I was thinking it might be something to get.

Em x

Replies

• Options
    Glad you asked this as this morning Gracie was twisting and I thought the same thing - is she safe anymore?? She just wants to turn over all the time when on the floor so think she's doing that in her bouncer. Mine says up to 9kg. She's nearly 7kg but loves sitting up. I think I'd rather her go tilted back in her highchair now! Will Bryn be weighed this aft? Cuddles coming his way for the jibby jabs x
    I don't put her in it much as Alfie likes to push it down to the floor given chance and she over-bounces, poor lass!

We have a bumbo, but can't find it! I don't remember it moving into this house a year ago....Alfie sat in his but could soon get out of it. Bryn may get out of it just as easily? If you can borrow one or get one cheap to try first that would be good. Try netmums for sale board.

• Options
    Cole is still fine in his bouncy chair.. I'm dreading him growing out of it though!

Rather than a bumbo I recommend the bebe pod plus - its ??45 I think from jojo maman bebe and has a play tray, toy & 2 mats. The leg bits are better than a bumbo - they go down rather than stick straight up. If I'm quick I might manage to grab the catalogue from the recycling to get the 10% discount code. cole is ok in it for a bit - he's funny with new stuff... but its great cause i can sit on the floor with him and put toys on the tray.. he has already discovred throwing toys on floor!!
  • Options
    Alfies been trying to pull himself up out of his bouncy chair for ages and you just know that he'll fall out of it when im not in the room!

Im going to leave him in it for a bit longer as his head is still not strong enough to hold up for long periods of time.

I looked after my friends daughter when she was a baby and i couldnt live without the Bumbo for her. However every child is different. I think Alfie will like it because he loves his bouncy chair and hates the playmat. Hes sooo nosey and likes to see around him.

Dont know anyone with a bebe pod plus so will have to look into that.

How are you feeling now Em?

• Options
    i'll post a pic of cole in the pod later..can't do now cause I'm going out soon..
  • Options
    Kia- hows coles head when you sit him in it? He was born around the same time as alfie so will be interesting to know. Thanks x
  • Options
    ryan is fine in bumbo, as long as they r holding their heads the seats r fine. as forbouncer, i got arocker as will hopefully last quite a while. iv got a concord rio rocker with wooden rocker bit so is v secure and strong (pressie from work)
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - kia I looked the bebe pod plus up and I see what you mean bout the leg bits. Was thinking of trying to pick one up 2nd hand as they don't seem to be in them very long - even 2nd hand ones though seem to go for up to ??25. We have got a rocker as well as the bouncy chair which is supposed to last them up until they can sit unaided but I imagine he will just try and sit up in that too. x
  • Options
    Cole's head is fine in the pod but he has always had good head control. He does tend to lean to the side a bit but he does that in his bouncy chair too and I guess he'll get better when he can sit properly.

I know it wasn't cheap but I'll keep the box and sell it on when we are done with it.. they do go for a good price 2nd hand.

I got some good pics this morning and he even smiled too so I'll post that when I get chance
  • Options
    ive got a bumboo for tommy which i keep having a go at putting him in, but as hes a big baby (hv told me off for weaning him at 18 weeks cus hes above average for his weight) i think he gets fed up in it and i worry about his neck cus hes strong but i dont want him to put a strain on his neck. hes also tried to turn over many times in his bouncy chair so i only really use to feed him in x
  • Options
    I use bumbo for Henry at dinner time and he's too small for high chair. He likes it as he know's he's getting yummy food ! Used it from 12 weeks and he was fine. I got mine from Friday ads, was ??10 and hardly used - good idea cos if you get one and they don't like it - it's a waste of ??30!!! xxx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - bought a bumbo today - but only cos I saw a cheap one. Bryn looked a bit shocked when I first put him in it, but he seems to like it as he can see everyone in the room better (hes a nosey little lad). Thanks for the advice - as always this is the place to ask! x
  • Options
    Rebecca - can't believe your hv told you off! What's the prob with weaning an above average weighted baby anyway?! Surely they need more food? My boys were big babies and I weaned them at 15 and 19 week, Gracie at 17wk.
    Take no crap! They should be advising, not critisising!
    Glad Bryn likes the bumbo - must find mine (even if it is blue!). x
  • Options
    Sam loves his bumbo and its great to put him in when I am doing stuff. He comes out in the garden whilst I am hanging out washing, he sits in the kitchen whilst I wash up etc. He also eats in it as it sits him up nice and straight.