Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Am I paranoid?

I took Amy to the clinic on Tuesday to be weighed, she is now 10lb 9oz and is 12 weeks old.
My problem is I am paranoid about her being small (which is ironic as I desparately want to lose weight!)

The HV was lovely (pleasant surprise) and reassured me that she is following a steady growth line (she is in the bottom half of the scale for her age though) and has lots of baby chub but is just more of a petite baby.

What doesn't help is when people ask how old she is and then are surprised when I tell them, the comments, oh I thought she was a lot younger than that, usually follow. I know people aren't being mean but I get paranoid! I don't want people to think I don't feed my baby enough!

I am still being led by her with feeding and she has 4 to 5 feeds a day and takes between 4 and 6oz at each one and she has been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks. The HV said I was doing the right thing and that Amy will let me know when she's hungry. She did say that she appeared to be a contented baby and was very alert and smily.

I just still can't help worrying image

Replies

• Options
    i really wouldnt worry, she is obviously a happy healthy baby!!! she wouldnt sleep through if she was no eating enough and the health visitor would be worried if there was a problem.
    i had the opposite my baby was always bigger, he is 7 months and 20lb and i get the same response
    "oh he looks much bigger"
    i wish people would be more considerate!
    your little amy might even have a growth spurt.
    xxx
  • Options
    If she has baby chub then she sounds just fine, especially with what you say about feeding. Cole has around 4-5 feeds a day too and some breastfeeding too - he's 12 weeks too.

My friends little girl is 3 1/2 and she's just a petite little girl but when she was a baby the hv was convinced she was underweight and had my friend pretty much force feeding her high calorie stuff because the hv didn't like where she was on the charts - despite her having baby chub.

I think girls can look more petite and dainty than boys - we went for Coles injections today and there was a little girl there who was 2 days younger than Cole (we met in hospital) and another little girl who was 17 weeks and they were both smaller than Cole - but neither looked skinny, just dainty. I'd thought the older baby was younger due to her size but then I'm used to Cole's size and he's quite long - I think sometimes people can think that babies look small cause they are used to older kids or one particular baby.

IF she's sleeping through then she's obviously getting enough to eat - if she was hungry she'd be waking. I sometimes worry Cole isn't eating enough but he sleeps well at night so I guess he's managing to get enough food..

Have you measured her and checked whether she's on the same percentiles on the charts for lenght and weight? I did this with Cole out of curiosity and found that he was about the same lenght and weight - that might give you a bit of reassurance that Amy is in proportion

• Options
    Sounds like she's a proper little girly, unlike my Gracie who's not a dainty lil girl!
    I wouldn't worry as she's putting on weight and is happy and content!
  • Options
    I'm with the others - as long as she is putting on weight and she's happy she'll be fine x
  • Options
    I have the opposite, my lo has alwasys been much bigger and is up there on the 91st percentile. And people saying to me 'oh he looks much much bigger than that' and people keep asking me when I'm going back to work, I'm whoa hold on he's only x weeks. I think Kia's idea was a good one as they only measure the length at birth and 6 weeks.
    It is so horrible and I do get feed up with everyones little comments, but I can't see them stopping any time soon I think people will be passing comment on our lo for years to come.

El x
  • Options
    Cole has never had his length measured - the doc did a rough measurement at 6 weeks when I asked but didn't put much effort into it.

Its annoying isn't it every little comment... like when the inlaws came to visit and kept going on about how much bigger he was (no shit..babies grow a lot in 11 weeks) and kept comparing every little thing he does to how his dad was at that age... correct me if I'm wrong but lots of babies don't like to go on their tummy, fight sleep and like to be held standing up!!

I don't get how people can expect babies to conform nicely to a chart or be how they expect..noone expects adults to be the same so why should our lo's.

And El..the work question is annoying isn't it..almost as annoying as people asking if I'm bf-ing...like its any of their business!! Man I'm getting crabby in my old age!
  • Options
    Kia - about the bf question - just ask if they'd like a taste and that'd shut em up!!! Oh I'm in an evil mood today! lol
  • Options
    lol ali! I might try that! Hubby keeps complaining that the boobs are Coles now and its not fair so I asked him if he wanted a taste and he went quiet! haha
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, you've made me feel a lot better!

The HV did measure her as well (58cm) and she is the correct length for her weight, so that was reassuring.

I'm very used to boy babies as that's what my friends have had lately and they are all big boys. Girls usually are daintier!

Happy Easter everyone!
  • Options
    Rachel,
    After having 2 boys both in the 90th+ centiles for height and weight I really was silly thinking I'd have a dainty girl! But I knew when my bump at 8mth was as big as the boys' bumps when I had them that little she was not!
    I get 'oh she looks a lot older than......' . She's longer than her bros were but lighter than them so doesn't look huge, just long! I'm gonna be looking up at all of them when i'm telling them off in a few years lol.
  • Options
    She sounds a healthy happy baby Rachel and that's all that matters, as they seem to come in all different shapes and sizes. Marcus is a big boy between the 75-90 centile so people think he is a bit older than he is.

I think no matter what size shape, sleep pattern, activity level some-one will always have a comment about how that is is either odd, strange unusual or be surprised about.

Marcus fights sleep like Kia's Cole but as I also did this as baby, as did my brother and his daughter we just except it and try to get them to have some sleep in the day anyway we can eg walks car drives etc but most people see this as strange and something odd and feel free to make loads of suggestions!
  • Options
    Jilly - I think fighting sleep is a fairly normal thing for babies..after all they are seeing and learning so much that there are so many more interesting things to see and do than sleep! But yes.. people do seem to make such a big deal out of it when its not really a big deal... people do like to stick their noses in don't they?