Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping during the day

How often and how long does everyone's lo's sleep during the day?

Amy has been sleeping thru the night (8 to 10 hours) since 6 weeks, she's now 11 weeks. She used to have a good 2 hour nap every morning and then another couple of hours in the afternoon which was great as I managed to get lots done. But the last week or so, I'm lucky if she has a 20 min cat nap, she'll sleep longer if we're in the car or she's in the pram, she'll also sleep longer if she's in my arms.
When she's awake, she is happiest in her chair or on her playmat but is just very active!!
She's still sleeping thru the night, over 10 hours most nights, so I know I really shouldn't complain, but I'd just like an hour stretch every day to get showered without interuption and maybe do housework!

Replies

• Options
    Gracie's similar to Amy! She sleeps 11-12 hours a night so very happy with that but she only naps during the day. She has about 15 mins on the school run in the car, then perhaps a kip with a bottle at 11am, or in the trolley when shopping!, then a kip again when i get Charlie from school. Once we're inside she wakes; likewise she wakes if she's put down once asleep in my arms! She too used to have good sleeps but that stopped once she slept thru at night. Can't complain really but sometimes when she's really tired and she needs me to lull her to sleep it can be a pain if i'm busy! She screams the house down when she gets beyond sleep!
  • Options
    Gracie's similar to Amy! She sleeps 11-12 hours a night so very happy with that but she only naps during the day. She has about 15 mins on the school run in the car, then perhaps a kip with a bottle at 11am, or in the trolley when shopping!, then a kip again when i get Charlie from school. Once we're inside she wakes; likewise she wakes if she's put down once asleep in my arms! She too used to have good sleeps but that stopped once she slept thru at night. Can't complain really but sometimes when she's really tired and she needs me to lull her to sleep it can be a pain if i'm busy! She screams the house down when she gets beyond sleep!
  • Options
    Bryn is awake for most of the day... he might have 20 mins in the morning and another 20 min in the afternoon if we are in all day, other than that he'll only sleep in the car. He doesn't sleep as much as Gracie or Amy at night though image x
  • Options
    Jack is the same he has maybe half an hour after breakfast then half an hour late afternoon. He sleeps for longer in pram or in car. Then goes maybe 10 hours at night although this week hes been very sleepy andhungry so must be a growth spurt!!
  • Options
    Philip has 15mins in car at AM school run, half hour about 11am, half hour at afternoon school run then 20 mins about 7pm, bottle and bed at 8.30, asleep by 9.30 and i wake him at 6.30 for morning bottle, sometimes he goes back to sleep for half hour but not always, he's done this since about 7wks. Also sleeps longer if we are out and he's in car seat.

• Options
    Sleeping in the day! I wish!!

I can usually get Cole to have a couple of 20 minute naps in the morning but I have to force him...standing up and rocking him or bf-ing him to sleep. Sometimes he'll go in his chair without waking, sometimes not! He woke up early this morning and I managed to get him to go back to sleep for half an hour after a feed thank goodness cause I was knackered!

He gets so ratty if he hasn't napped enough so I usually end up going for a walk wiht him and then he'll usually sleep for a couple of hours...but today I went to asda instead and he woke there and he woke when we got home and just would not sleep all afternoon ... absolute nightmare!

He usually sleeps from around 8.30-9pm to around 6.30 - 7.15 although I've a bad feeling he'll be awake early tomorrow as he's n ot slept enough today.

Cole has been quite sleepy this week though when he eventually goes to sleep after a walk so maybe he's having a growth spurt
  • Options
    Like the others, Ella sleeps for a long time at night. I find that she's happy to go down for over an hour during the day as long as it's in bed with mummy! I lie down with her in my bed at around 4pm and feed her to sleep. We both sleep for around an hour and then often I'll get up to make dinner while she sleeps on. She then goes down for the night at 7.30pm. Babies have an immense capacity for sleep!!!