Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Child Trust Fund

Hi

I have just received Grace's trust fund voucher. I have been looking around and am really confused!

Any suggestions on where to invest?

Thanks

Bex

Replies

• Options
    im looking for a good savings account, they all seem to be bonds/shares and i dont want to gamble his money in what is the great british economy!
    xx
  • Options
    I was gonna see which had the best freebie but I can't be arsed..think we'll just stick it in the HSBC one! It doesnt matter to us really cause we won't be putting money in it so it'll just be a low risk one. We have opened our own savings account for Cole that we can control
  • Options
    We haven't done anything with ours yet but have the same idea as kia, we plan to open a savings account for Holly that we can control.
  • Options
    Hi, we invested Henry's into a cash savings account with Nationwide - they were rated the best on Which? magazine if you don't know a lot about shares!! Nice and safe now! I know Yorkshire Building Society are the best but there isn't a branch near enough to us!

The freebies seem good but you have to pay in a certain amount a month by Direct Debit and we wanted to just pay in as and when!!

xxx
  • Options
    My boys' Trust funds and personal savings accounts are with the Britannia so that's where Gracie's will be going. They were the best interest rate going when we got Charlie's and my mum n dad have accounts there so they gave each of them a nice boost when i opened their accounts! I won't be adding to the trust fund, just their own. They get another ??250 when they're 7 i think as it stands, poss more later?
  • Options
    Ophelia's went into HSBC so thats where Bryns will go and hubby has account with them... it seemed the best one all round x
  • Options
    Haven't decided yet, feel a bit overwhelmed with the choices and i'm not too hot with money myself!! Think i'll put it in a straighforward one with no shares etc and only add a bit each year on top, the money my nan left for him will go in a savings account that we control along which i'll put money in every month. Don't like the fact we have to pay charges for someone to "manage" the account, sounds like a rip off to me!
  • Options
    i've put my 1st sons into children's mutual as they had the most recommendations in newspapers and magazines at the time. and i put my 2nd sons in there too just because it was easier. it was relatively new when i had my first son so there seemed to be quite a few articles on it but haven't seen anything this time.
    as far as i'm concerned its all way too confusing and even if you did know what you're doing there's no guarantees so i just decided to try not to worry about it too much which is what i tend to do! i bet ??250 isn't going to be worth much in 20 odd years!

• Options
    Obi - you have to pay charges for the account to be managed? what a load of bollocks!! The HSBC one better not charge us!

We are only going with hsbc cause thats where hubby works and he got the application form!

As you say julesy its not gonna be worth much when they are 18 so its not too much to worry about!
  • Options
    We've not paid charges either but it really wouldn't surprise me if some did.Robbing gits!
  • Options
    we are thinking about using the Children's Mutual too. We decided to go for the Stakeholder as think we may get more money back rather than just a savings account.
  • Options
    If you have a stakeholder one the charges are capped at 1.5% per year, the normal accounts have no capped limit, from what i remember reading the charges for normal accounts are taken into account with the interest rate offered so you don't "see" the charges as such but with stakkeholder the charge is shown on your yearly statement (i think, but with how my brain is at the moment i may be talking total crap!!)