Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Doc's suggestion...would you?

Cut each feed in half and give your lo twice the amount of feeds as usual?

Put this on the baby forum but would like to know what you lot think!

You may know my lo has reflux, poss dairy intolerance and we've tried 5 different things now to see if it stops her being sick. It hasn't!
Today the doc said he'd like me to try feeding her 10 x 3oz instead of 5 x 6oz feeds. I want to help her anyway i can but that just seems like taking 50 steps back as far as her routine goes and i really don't want to mess her about like that. Plus all i'd do is feed and wind every hour n half to fit in the feeds...i have 2 boys who go to nursery and school so do the school run 2/3 times a day. I know she'd cry loads too only having a small feed as she has a bottle in one go and cries if i wind her before she's finished it. Bit like her mum where food's concerned!
Would you disrupt their routine to see if smaller feeds helped?
Ali & Gracie xx

Replies

• Options
    Sounds like mission impossible to me! Not really sure how it would help either? Have they offered to look into the reflux any more to find another solution or is this his last resort?

I would have thought if anything just giving her the food slower may help to allow it to go down? What size bottle teats are you using?

No experience of this really as Bren does have odd days with reflux but nothing so bad, so sorry for giving a bit of a useless reply!

Hope someone can suggest something good that works so you can get it sorted.

L xx
  • Options
    No thanks for your opinion - felt like maybe i was being a bit stubborn, but the idea of changing her feeds so drastically scares me silly!
    The doc did mention the teats and said to check the flow with the type of milk used. I put her back on size 1 and halved her gaviscon and 2 feeds in she's barely been sick....thing is, that often happens at 1st when i try something new - works at 1st then worsens. Argghhhhhh!!!!
  • Options
    Awww, I really feel for you! Have you tried a wedge cushion in her cot so she sleeps upright a bit more to help everything stay down? Again no idea if it would help but sounds like anything is worth a go!

Fingers crossed the size 1 teats continue to do the trick! xx
  • Options
    Sounds like they are fobbing you off to be honest! If they suspect dairy allergy/intolerance then surely they should be testing for that or trying to find out if there is a reason for the reflux.

If you are decreasing amounts in feeds and upping hte number it sounds drastic to just half them totally cause as you said she'd cry if she was hungry - could you try gradually reducing the amounts and uppingthe bottles just to ease her into it a little and see how she goes?

Try asking to be referred to a dietician maybe - they might be able to help more
  • Options
    Hi Ali, my 2nd baby Hayley also had reflux (though not as bad as Paige has now).

I was given advice when she stll had reflux at 6 mths to feed her little and often so as to not overfill her tummy and put pressure on the muscles which can make reflux worse.

At 9 mths when she was still vomiting i got referral to paediatrician who told me i was basically training her tummy to not be able to fill properly and to feed her more, less often.

I must say that straight after taking paed advice she very soon stopped vomiting, but it may just have been her time to stop.

I'm just trying to ride it out with Paige but every baby is different so you never know who's advice to take. I'm also trying at the moment to get her to take a bottle as well as breast but she's not interested, lol.

I guess you'll just have to go with your instincts, especially as Gracie is letting you know she's still hungry. Good luck.

Shell & Paige
  • Options
    Yeah it does sound drastic and i could perhaps give her half her bottle then the rest half hour later but size 1 teats mean slower feeding as it is! (so far the latest concoction is continuing to work).
    That is a point Shell, what the paed said - and i'd hate it to affect her eating solids by shrinking her stomach now.
    Btw - typed too soon...off to change her as muslin missed quite a bit!
    At paed on tues so will be ready not to be fobbed off!
    I'll let you know of any secret miracles out there Shell, and i hope Paige gets better with it soon.