Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

spelling probs

is anyone else really appalled at just how bad their spelling/grammer is on here? i'm forever noticing i've muddled their /there /they're and have used pour instead of poor etc, i may not be perfect but i'd like to think i know what word goes where! i just seem to spell however the word fist appears to me, and then cringe when i re-read my posts later! i may be the only one but i do seem to unintenionally proof read, it seems to be a nasty habit i've picked up from i dont know where! and dont even get me started on my never ending sentences, anyone would think i have a limit to the amount of times i can use my , and . lol!:lol:

Replies

• Options
    ha i know what u mean. i think i still have a pregnancy brain somehow.... i notice little things but think oh i no wot its meant to say as im sure we forgive eachother and can figure out what we really mean.

i still get muddled when someone says 'oh' meaning oh not otherhalf... hmm

as for me, my laziness is no caps and no punctuation...save that for uni lol
  • Options
    when i first started using this site i hadn't quite caught on to the oh, lo, mil, fil, bil..........got me all confussed!!! (i'm writing this trying to make sure no spelling mistakes etc...)
    i'm awful as usually rushing to write back that i notice it is wrong and just post it anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxx
  • Options
    I never use capitals or anything and usually trying to stop Rhys attacking laptop to notice mistakes ha ha. I can really spell and use punctuation properly honest ha ha.
  • Options
    ha - i was just thinking this today as i keep having to go back and change mine its so uncomprehendable!! doesn't help that my keboard is a bit dodgy at the moment and half the letters don't work very well so half my sentances look funny because only half the words come out! if you notice any missing letters its the keyboard honest!
    mind you having redone my cv i realise how out of practice i am with the whole having to write properly!
  • Options
    He he! My lappy has letters i and o missing so i have to hit the little rubber circle thing carefully (one handed as holding Gracie!) or they don't appear! I have to be very careful at school with spelling but sometimes can't be boffed on here! Btw, what does the abbreviation imo/imao stand for? Been puzzling me for ages!!!
  • Options
    oh abbreviations have really been trouble for me too. i sometimes work out what they mean from context but af stumped me for ages, i knew what it was for but no idea what it meant and bfp bfn that took forever!

imo i think is 'in my opinion',
    imao -? is that actually lmao because thats 'laughing my arse off'
    there's so many though
  • Options
    When I was teaching I had just got to the end of a very large stack of marking when I realised the last 3 books I'd marked I'd done in text speak!!! Goes down well with kids but not with parents or the head of dept!! ooops
  • Options
    Lol Em! My head would freak, tho he really can't spell! Many laughs about that in staff mtgs!
    Thanks for the abbs - in my opinion, how could i not have thought of that?! Could very well be lmao, will pay more attention next time lol.
  • Options
    oh dear, i never really get text lingo..... i was reading a thread somewhere on here the other day and someone was saying 'oh i dont work im a sahm', i was thinking whats that, is it some kind of religion i dont know about!?? durrrrrrrrrrrrr, stay at home mum! lol, got there in the end but i still get confused with a lot of these abbreviations, my poor brain!
  • Options
    The abbreviations take me longer to read and my brain actually has to kick into action to try and figure it out. Theres no way I would have got sahm or lmao. Oh I have a headache just thinking about it!
  • Options
    Having a teenager around means you have to know all the abbs otherwise their texts make no sense at all!!.. Saying that, i'm not sure he would use sahm!! lo
  • Options
    If you notice the difference now from when you first had your babies it's alot better!!! Thats because you were probably feeding the lo's and typing at the same time. Think I wrote on once with no spaces!!!!
  • Options
    Spelling and grammar whats that!!! Being dyslexic its always fairly naff but since having Marcus its got worse I try to use the google spell checker when posting to reduce the spelling mistakes but sometimes the it doesn't pick them up. As for text speak I am bog useless at that takes my poor brain ages to figure it out.
  • Options
    My excuse is am usually typing 1 handed with rhys attacking the laptop so that's y so rubbish ha ha x
  • Options
    Good excuse! Mine's still one-handed as mainly come on when giving Gracie her bottle (she sits up and noses, rather than lies back, good job i'm not bfing anymore lol). No excuses now (apart from dodgy keys) as she's in bed!
  • Options
    fin is officially obsessed with laptop now, i have it on sofa and he launches at it and gets mega angry if i move him away... he smacks the keyboard and scratches his fingures on the board...bless him!

xxx
  • Options
    oh im a one hand/finger typist too now, quite impressed with my speed but i do try my best to avoid shift functions, lol
    tend to catch up on be whilst lo napping next to me, ive somehow managed to make myself his security blanket, oops!