Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Little bit of a rant - sorry feeling sorry for myself! :cry:

Totally gutted - missing out (yet again!) on a mini devon meet! Because of my neck sprain I can't drive so I can't meet up with Helen and Jules!! Not a happy bunny! :cry:

Not only that Dave left for work before I got up (at 5:50) so I had to carry Bryn upstairs (not good) and he's not going to be home before 7 tonight - 8:30 at the latest to try and make up the time he had off yesterday taking me to hospital. Yesterday morning he said he could only 'justify taking time off' if I went to hospital otherwise he'd go into work.... He's made me feel really guilty for asking him to stay at home. I don't think its much to ask as I am in quite a bit of pain going down my neck, across my back and down my left arm (and I have a pretty high pain threshold), I can't lift my left arm up or move my neck and a whole day at home with the 2 los isn't restful at the best of times. I can't take the strongest painkillers as they make me either dopey or lightheaded and obviously thats not good when you're home alone.

I know we need the money but I think there are times when staying at home wins out over money. I know we are skint and money is important but we recently sold Dave's car so this months rent already paid and we are almost up to date on our bills. I just hoped that for once he would put me first.

Sorry, just wanted to let off a bit of steam and see what you guys thought - maybe I am thinking of myself too much and Dave is just trying to do the right thing but when you're in pain it kinda focuses your mind onto yourself! If you see what I mean??!!

Am I being really selfish? I know I would drop everything to look after him if he needed me too. Maybe I'm my own worst enemy because I've always coped in the past so he thinks I can cope with anything. :roll:

Thanks for letting me rant xxx

[Modified by: Emalenna on 18 February 2009 09:44:47 ]

Replies

• Options
    Oh this bleeding site atm! Keeps eating my replies, and it was a long one at that! Hoping it's just not come up!
  • Options
    Will shorten it!
    basically, men should remember that kids are their responsibility too and that if their mummy can't look after them properly, due to illness etc, they should do the honours for once!
    Hope you get some help today, is there anyone you can ask? have you got a heat pack thingy for your pain?
    Sorry, gotta dash, as Charlie and Alfie are out for the day (better social life than me!) and I need to get them fed, watered and dressed!
    take care and ring David up if you need him to come home early x
  • Options
    Oh hun, really sorry to hear you are feeling so rough.
    I agree with Ali, sometimes men just don't have a clue, I know my hubby thinks I have it easy because I am home with Brendan all day and can 'do what I want all day'?!!! image

Can you see if you can get a GP to come out and see you? Sounds like you are in a lot of pain and you could be doing yourself an injury to keep going through it.

It is at times like this you could really do with a supportive family nearby to help you out isn't it.

I would maybe call your GP and see if you can get some advice, would it be cheaper to get a taxi to the doctors than for Dave to lose a days pay? May be a compromise, although I know it is a pain dragging the kids out to the doctors on your own. I struggle enough with Brendan! When I last saw my midwife he was running around her office picking up vaginal swabs (new unused ones I must add!!) waving them around. She was in hysterics and took a photo of him on her mobile!! :lol:

Sending big hugs over to you, as always wish we all lived in a big village together so we could help each other out at times like this! xxxx
  • Options
    Thanks both of you.

Liz - I've got paracetamol, Ibubrofen, Codeine and Tramadol - not sure they can give me anything else. The hospital gave me an advice sheet -doc filled me with confidence 'I'm pretty sure that whats wrong but if it gets worse or the numbness in your fingers gets worse then come back or see your gp'!! Very helpful!! lol

Ali - thanks to Kerryg's wonderful ss pressie to me, I've got a hot wheat pack (in a lovely snuggly black furry bag) which I've been putting on the side of my neck.

My mum was hoping to come over but as she can't drive and I neither can I at the mo so I can't pick her up from the station. She was going to ask my sis to drive her over - but she is always too busy to do anything other than what she wants to do (she's never been married and doesn't have any children and it shows!! :roll: ). Tristan was out last night but I'm hoping he'll come home this evening so he can be here to help out tomorrow - even one day would be good. Can't really ask him to be here for me in his half term. As for taxis - erm we have one local taxi (not taxi firm just one taxi!!) and I have no idea how to get hold of him - this country living is great!! image

Anyway, I'm sure I'll cope - Ophelia is being brilliant telling me I should be sitting down and resting - bless her she can be a real sweetie. Bryn doesn't really understand the meaning of 'gentle'!! lol Feel so sorry for them being stuck in with me again!

Hope everyone is enjoying the half term xx
  • Options
    Oh god i do feel for you as when i did my back in it was awful and i was in so much pain it made me feel sick and i did actually faint! hubby did come home to help but then had to get back to job to finish so my friend came over and then he did get home quick and take over!!! men are shits.... im in an arse at the moment as we've been doing each others heads in... he had a go lst night saying that im off two days in the week and all im bothered about is going off on jollies with friends and nothings done around the house!!!!!!!! i couldnt even answer him i was that angry and i went to bed at 9 or we would have said things we would regret!

xxxxx
  • Options
    Oh god i do feel for you as when i did my back in it was awful and i was in so much pain it made me feel sick and i did actually faint! hubby did come home to help but then had to get back to job to finish so my friend came over and then he did get home quick and take over!!! men are shits.... im in an arse at the moment as we've been doing each others heads in... he had a go lst night saying that im off two days in the week and all im bothered about is going off on jollies with friends and nothings done around the house!!!!!!!! i couldnt even answer him i was that angry and i went to bed at 9 or we would have said things we would regret!

xxxxx
  • Options

xxxxx
  • Options

xxxxx
  • Options

xxxxx
  • Options

xxxxx
  • Options
    Hope you are feeling better Em.

Charlotte - men don't have a clue do they!!

xx
  • Options
    Thanks .... neck still really painful but they did say it was going to take a couple of weeks to get better. Hubby got up at 4:30 this morning to get to work at 5 to make up his hours - talk about making me feel guilty for asking him to take me to a&e. He got home at 7 last night so the kids just had time to say goodnight to him before they went to sleep. I made him dinner then he fell asleep on the sofa at 9:30! I felt soooo rough - I know this sounds pathetic - but I just wanted to be looked after for a bit ... I'm not a wimp but I coped so long on my own as a single mum that I thought once I was married I wouldn't have to cope like that again - but it seems I do. Sorry having a whinge again. Feeling very emotional this morning - fed up of not being able to move properly and being in pain and the painkillers not doing what they should do!

Charlotte I replied to your thread - and I know exactly where you are coming from - as I said on that thread if you didn't do anything then he wouldn't have clean clothes to wear and there wouldn't be ironing done because you wouldn't have done the washing in the first place!!

MEN!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!! lol xx
  • Options
    oh bless you - we would have been down like a shot and waited on you hand and foot!! (well not quite like a shot as it may have taken a while to find you out in the sticks!)
    I'm really sorry you had a horrid day and I hope you feel better soon. We're hoping to do it again soon -maybe at Easter. There is even talk of Lisa coming but I don't know that Helen's mentioned this to Lisa yet!!!
    When you're a bit more up to getting out I'll come down to Plymouth again or more over your way if its easier?
    I hope your pain killers kick in soon as it sounds very excrutiatingly painful.
    take care xx
  • Options
    Thank you Jules - be good to see you all at easter - what was wizz kidz like? Definitely meet up in Plymouth before then though.

Dave just called to say he wont be home until 8 tonight so he wont be here to help get the kids in bed - grrrrr
  • Options
    Emma - I think your condition might need to take a turn for the worse and you might have to go to your sister/friend/whoever and get waited on a bit more. Not only that but you need to leave the kids with Dave so he might become a bit more understanding......!!
    Wizz kids was good - next to a really smelly fish unit on the ind est (well it is in Brixham!) but apart from that all good.
    Bright, spacious, clean and a fairly big area for the older kids and a seperate area for the babies. zach wasn't sure about the big kids one at first as he wanted to play with us and wasn't confident to go on his own but he soon got into it and by the end didn't want to leave!.
    I had to wait an age for the ferry home as the higher one isn't working and the lower only takes 8 cars at a time. Zach is still really excited about having driven on a boat!
  • Options
    Hope you are feeling a bit better now honey, it is really painful, the first time i did it i was 13, stood up from a chair and bang! couldn't move my neck or shoulder, did it again at 15 playing netball and again at 22 getting out of the shower! It is bloody painful and the drugs don't seem to work! Heat and rest are the best cures, easier said than done!

Really missed meeting you on tuesday, but was really good to meet Jules, Zach and Noah, really sorry you had such a long journey home though! Dad couldn't work out why it took so long but then it took us 1hr 20mins to get from Trago Mills back to Paignton without having to wait for a ferry! WIll put pictures on fb when i find the camera! Whizz Kids was good but did pong a bit outside and by the back door!

Haven't suggested it to Lisa yet but i'm sure she'll be up for it, will e-mail her tomorrow as laptop battery is about to give up and i'm knackered after driving home today.

Definately need to look into the BE Village idea...... x
  • Options
    No problem about the journey home - noah was zonked out and zach and i chatted while he ate and watched boats etc. Only reason is the higher ferry is out of service at the mo and there was a big queue for the lower one. roads are really bad around here. either busy or windy rural ones.
    Glad you home safe xx
  • Options
    Hello

Helen and Jules - sorry I chose somewhere pongy.... and a pain to get back from! Should have known really cos traffic around that area is always a pain in the proverbial and Brixham is bound to smell of fish! :roll: Glad you got home ok though.

Neck is ok - I drove into Plymouth yesterday which I think was a bad move as my neck is worse again today... Helen you're right - painkillers don't seem to work. I've been doing the neck exercises they've given me to do but they really hurt! :cry: lol

Picking Bryn up has been the biggest pain - he loves jumping on me and crawling all over me and I can't keep putting him down. Its been a bit of a nightmare getting him out of his cot too. Hey ho I'm sure it be better within the next week - just a bit ironic that Dave has been out of the house so early and back so late (to make up his hours) when I need him the most just because he took time off to take me to hospital!! :roll:

Anyway, thank you for all the good wishes I've had and thank you for letting me whinge. Hope you are all fit and well xxx

• Options
    ooh sounds really awful. how are you doing? it wasn't pongy inside just outside! and i did park right outside the unit where the fish were so serves me right!
    we had a great time it was just such a shame you weren't there. zach is still driving his car around and pretending he's driving it on and off a boat and then driving the boat. he's even kept the ticket and makes dave be the ticket man its quite sweet! I think thats been the best bit of his half term.
  • Options
    I'm definitely up for the next meet-up!! just let me know when!! I can't wait to meet you all!!! XXX