Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

shocked

hey everyone. Went to the baby clinic on Monday like i have been doing for the past three months to get phoebe weighed. As i went to put a clean nappy on her i did my usual routine of baby wipe, powder, nappy cream when the health visitor told me i shouldn't use talcum powder in the nappy area because it has been linked to cervical cancer! i also shouldn't use it on myself, which i do all the time. She said it so seriously i didn't know what to say. How come no-one else has said this to me? I'm actually really angry because that is something i should have been told when she was born! Has anyone else been told this?

Replies

• Options
    Never ever heard of that in my life??!!!!
    Talcum powder is a staple in our house and my mum's and her mum's.
  • Options
    Not heard it either! How do they work that one out and if it's true, then you're right loublue, we should've been told earlier! I don't use it but still need to know of something that's potentially dangerous to my baby.
    Gonna google it!
  • Options
    Googled it!
    Not sure how to do this as a link but this is short and sweet bit of info on the matter :

http://www.canceractive.com/page.php?n=220
    Wouldn't worry too much tho as things change all the time.
  • Options
    Hi, I had read somewhere not to use talc on babies but when i looked into it all I could find out as to the reason was to do with the dust from the talc not being good for babies lungs.

I use talc as I have found it the best way of keeping nappy rash away and am just careful I don't spray it all over the place!

On a similar note my hubby got stopped by someone we know the other day when he was buying johnsons baby wipes (sensitive non fragranced ones), she told him that they contained hormones and that we shouldn't use them and that she worked at a nursery where they had been told to only use these really basic wipes. So he came home with them and they are pretty rubbish and quite rough so I am not very impressed! I have looked on the net and can't find anything about warnings to do with baby wipes?! Anyone else heard this? x
  • Options
    Hi, I just googled it and came up with the cancer research website which says this about the talc ...

Talc and ovarian cancer risk
    Several epidemiological studies have reported an association between ovarian cancer and perineal talc application (talc is a mineral compound that consists of magnesium silicate and is the principal component in baby powder and cosmetic talcum powders). However, many of the studies were small and no consistent relationship between talcum powder usage and increased risk of ovarian cancer has been reported.

A systematic review has been conducted to attempt to clarify the evidence regarding this potential risk factor. Sixteen papers contributed data to the meta-analysis (a total of 11,933 subjects from 15 case control studies and one cohort study). Overall results showed a statistically significant increased risk associated with talc use, RR = 1.33 (95%CI 1.16 to 1.45). However, further inspection of the data failed to show any clear relationship between dose and response, and therefore the authors of the review concluded that this association is likely to be spurious and due to uncontrolled confounding or selection biases

L x
  • Options
    Not heard that one either but as i've got my research head on....i'll return with my findings!
  • Options
    Interesting read! Not sure what I think about it though, do you use baby wipes? I assume though that if you use the unperfumed ones that they are ok as it seems to suggest that it is in the perfume they use? Or have I got that wrong?
  • Options
    Seems like whatever you do someone finds fault with it! I'd heard about not using talc because of the babies breathing in the talc dust! We use talc on Coles bum after a bath and wrap the towel round so dust doesn't go anywhere. Hubby is very particular about keeping coles willy & bum etc clean and dry..think its a man thing!

I saw on tv something once to do with hormones and lavender I think it was..something to do with lavender being used too much in boys giving them boobs! This sort of thing seems to get overreaction due to a very few occurances.

Only thing I've heard of with baby wipes is to not use them on new babies as their skin is more sensative and they can react to them.
    I can't see why there weould be hormones in wipes!!
  • Options
    Ive heard you shouldnt use talc but to be honest I don't really believe it! I think as long as you are careful and not being silly with it then its ok. We have also always used baby wipes and tbh I use them for everything lol
    Im going to have a proper read of it all later.
    Liz I love your new pic, he is sooo cute!! Will have to try and get a new one of Holly up.
  • Options
    Me too Liz! I went to download pics earlier but hubby's lost the lead (i'll blame him!) so can't!
    I use pampers sensitive wipes.
  • Options
    Thank you! =) I'm trying to put a DVD together of photos of him that I can leave with my parents and my hubbies parents so they have something to look at when they want to see him. Not quite the same but it's better than nothing I guess!

A friend recommended a song to use in the background and it is called Magical Child and I think the artist is Graham Nash. Nearly makes me cry every time I hear it with Brendans photos up! It's unbelievable how much we love our lo's isn't it?! x
  • Options
    Sure is! I remember once having a conversation with a friend about how my love for my child (only had Charlie then!) was so overwhelming and a different love to how i loved my hubby - she said 'yeah, if my kids died i could always have more but if my hubby died i couldn't replace him'. She was deadly serious and i couldn't believe it!!! You can tell it still shocks me!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your responds and research found. With phoebe being my first i am kind of fumbling in the dark with a few things. My mum said only yesterday that I'm constantly saying the hv said this and the hv said that. It would have been better if she had explained that the findings of this research was inconclusive and to decide for myself if i want to continue with the talc or not. They just love to scare the shit out of you and make you feel like a bad mother - i reckon it's part of their training!
  • Options
    Me too Loublue! And some are too much up their own they don't realise they're upsetting people with their 'information'. My hv is young and very good - but after my 1st son i said to my hubby i'd tell rather than ask a hv in the future. If you ask, you usually get a 'oh no, that's not in the guidelines!'.
    We're doing cracking jobs for our los and we know them better than anyone! Keep up the good job!
  • Options
    Ali - I can't believe you're friend said that - you could never replace a child... a husband on the other hand.... lol! Seriously though, its amazing when you look at the los (and not quite so los) how much love you can feel for them - I sometimes look at them and just think 'wow you really are lovely'! (and that even includes the stroppy teenager - but then he did tell me how much he loved me and what a great mum I was at the weekend and he didn't even want anything!!) x
  • Options
    well the talc thing i'd heard about but like lizb it was to do with dust in their lungs... however was never told by a professional. As for baby wipes i've never heard that, but, over the weekend i heard fabric softener contained beef fat....yuck! We always get bombarded with 'new' information i think we just have to do what we think is best without being stupid, i mean facts seem to constantly change don't they. When i was in hospital for instance i was told ebm can be stored in fridge 36hrs, out 24,.... 5 days later i was told by hv 8days in fridge, 6hrs out - now that's fast changing, i ignored it though because i could see 1st advice was doing no harm!
    professionals just don't seem to give you advice do they, how many of us were told you need to support babies neck when handed to you in hospital, it's just assumed you know, which we porbably did but why chance it!
  • Options
    Ali - I agree on the telling the hv rather than asking! It seems to be working for me..think my hv is a bit surprised that I have things figured out for myself and I'm telling her what I'm doing not waiting for her permission!!

waiting4baby- I was told about ebm its 3 days in the fridge at a certain temp and 8 days at a lower temp. Apparently the guidelines had just changed though! 24 hours sounds a bit long for out of the fridge though.. I asked on the bf forum and someone said 10 hours.

Y~ou are right though - they don't give you sensible advice like supporting babys neck and watching for the soft spot on their heads and all that. It really is like throwing you in at the deep end if you have had no experience isn't it!
  • Options
    Ali - I agree on the telling the hv rather than asking! It seems to be working for me..think my hv is a bit surprised that I have things figured out for myself and I'm telling her what I'm doing not waiting for her permission!!

waiting4baby- I was told about ebm its 3 days in the fridge at a certain temp and 8 days at a lower temp. Apparently the guidelines had just changed though! 24 hours sounds a bit long for out of the fridge though.. I asked on the bf forum and someone said 10 hours.

Y~ou are right though - they don't give you sensible advice like supporting babys neck and watching for the soft spot on their heads and all that. It really is like throwing you in at the deep end if you have had no experience isn't it!