Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toddler Bed Advice Needed!

Hi,

My daughter is 19 months and she started using a toddler bed about 2 weeks ago. She absolutely loves the bed but the only problem is that she falls out of the bed in the night which wakes her up and means we are having an awful night sleep trying to get her back to sleep!

I bought her a bed guard from Mothercare which said suitable for a toddler bed but when we put it together it looked too big for the bed and if she wanted to get out of the bed she would have had to climb over it to get out which would be a bigger fall than if she fell out of the bed! At the moment I've got loads of cushions . pillow etc at the side of her bed so she doesn't hurt herself but were having alot of discturbed sleep - her and us!

Any suggestions would be welcomed as I'm knackered!

Greeneyes xxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Difficult one.

We looked into bed guards and found they were pretty crap for toddler beds, most aren't wide enough, and unless you've got a really, really decent mattress the mattress isn't thick enough to support them either!

Ikea do one that clips/attaches onto the side of the bed which do seem to be pretty good for toddler/cot beds, and aren't as massive so less problems if they try to climb over.

Don't know if you've tried tucking the duvet down the side so if she's under the duvet she's less likely to roll out, but that does only help if she'll stay under the duvet!

Apart from that I don't know what to suggest as DS was pretty good when we started and has only ever fallen out about 5 times - I think the open cots at nursery helped as it got him into the habit before we started on the bed at home.
  • Options
    Sorry, no advice, as not even contemplating removing the sides from Skye's bed for the foreseeable future (I hope!). Just wanted to say that that Ikea guard looks like a fab idea! Been looking into guards and couldn't see how we'd get one to work on a cot bed, but hoping this one might work. Thanks Kristen!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that the ikea guards are no good if you get the extendable toddler bed because they only fit when it is fully extended (ie the size of a normal bed) Issy's toddler bed is up and ready, just not put her in yet!!