Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO PTB & Kristin et al (Re: nappies)

Are you still using reusable nappies? I have seemed to have stopped using them over the last couple of months as am having problems with absorbancy. They are still good for poos but they seem to leak urine within about 2/3 hours - is this normal? It's just so easy to put her in disposables which I know won't leak. I am also struggling with the size of them as Abby is quite short so in disposables she still fits in 9-12 months trousers but I need 12-18 month trousers when wearing reusables and these are far too long for her. The larger nappies seem to look too big on her now she's running around and yet seemed to fit her fine when she was 6 months old - does that sound weird?

I generally use Bum Genius, my Pop-ins have disintergrated and I never found the Heinys very good.

H xx

Replies

• Options
    i find the same H. i use bambino mio and they leak wee now i remember the same happened with milly, i stopped using them at 18 months. a friend of mine did the same. i'm now only using them for Ruby when at home so can change clothes easily if they leak. i also find it a pain now having to put her in stretchy bottoms cos of the size!
    its long enough to have saved some money and mine have done 2 babies now!
  • Options
    Am still using my BMs for Lily but not nearly as often as before for just the reason you say - they don't hold wee for longer than 3hrs (and if she then poos in a particularly soaked one it's a nightmare).

Basically I only put them on her if I know we're going to be at home for the morning/afternoon, or if she needs a change near bedtime but not quite near enough not to change her again for overnight.

I also find trousers harder to put on now the wrap is so big. I never thought they looked particularly big before this stage.

Will start using them with Maddie as soon as her legs are a little less scrawny as between about 3-12 months I found them great :\)
  • Options
    I'm still using ours during the day. (BG's & closer pop ins). I've never properly used them overnight as they never lasted.

Finding that generally they are OK and are still lasting up to 5 hrs most of the time, though a couple of times in the past month they seem to have struggled at somepoint during the day as C's had a change of clothes by the time he comes home from nursery and it's been less than 4 hrs between changes. That has been rare and generally they are doing OK as far as I'm concerned providing I use the main and the newborn together. It gives him a huge bum but still seems to work.

I am finding it a pain with trousers as I'm finding that's a good portion of the reason why I'm having to move him up in trouser sizes earlier - throughout late march and early april it was a real pain as the 12-18mth were a real struggle to get on him, yet if I then used the 18-24mth ones and I then stuck a disposible on him - the trousers just fell off which was far from great!

Biggest problem I'm getting is that the velcro bits seem to rub around his legs occassionally - he just seems to be quite a chubba that they sit quite low down and rub on his legs rather than stretching up towards his waist.
  • Options
    We're still using reusables although at night and sometimes if we're out and about we use disposables. No problems with wee leakage as long as nappies are changed every 3-4 hrs but I really hate having to wash poo off them, especially that really sticky kind - urrgghhh! We use all in ones (coolababies) when he's at the childminders and totsbots or good old terries with a motherease wrap when at home. I want to keep going with them as long as we can but I have to say I am always tempted just to stick a disposable on as they are so easy!