Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Favourite books...

I'm looking to get some new books for Isaac and wondered if I could get some inspiration from the BIDdies!

We love reading in this house including Isaac and i'm noticing he's getting more and more into books lately. His absolute faves are 'The Hungry Caterpillar' and 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear', these get brought to me continuously to be read! I've had to resort to hiding them sometimes, as the thought of reading them again is driving me mental! :lol:

He used to be into the 'That's not my....' books but he seems to be losing interest in these now. He also loves lift the flap books, 'Dear Zoo' and 'Where's Spot?' in particular!

Another one he likes is 'Moo, moo' by Jo Lodge, it has peep holes to see animals on the next page and he has to guess the animal by the noise. He also likes books with pictures of objects and the word for each, like flash cards really, he loves learning words and then trying to find the picture again!

What books do your bodders love? Any recommendations? Any excuse to get some nice new books!! If only I still had time to read them myself! ;\)

Replies

• Options
    Lorelei LOVES the baby bear books by Debi Gliori especially Where, Oh Where, Is Baby Bear? as it is a lift the flap book. I've had to retape the flaps on numerous times cos come off from so much use lol She also loves any colour books which have a page of red things, green things etc as well as Peppa pig books which we got by sending off the little stars coupons last year lol
  • Options
    Al loves lift the flap and pop out books like Peek a Zoo and there's a great one called The Best Nest that has a pop up bit at the end. He's got some board books (which I love because he can't tear the pages !) like the Smartest Giant in Town which he loves.

got to admit, I've bought him some of my favourites from when I was little such as Burglar Bill, The Tiger Who Came to Tea etc, can't wait to read him them when he is a little older. But DH totally ruined my favourite book Dogger by making turning into something dirty!!
  • Options
    Lol that made me laugh about Dogger! Lorelei also loves regular books more than anything else aside from WOWIBB if being honest, she will sit for ages with a novel and flick through it with her thumbs, it amazes me. That said we do have a whole room full of book shelves so is maybe just copying me.
    Will have to look into Peek a Zoo, she loves animals. I remember the Tiger who came to tea- forgot all about it until now!
  • Options

dd loves 'peepo' by janet and allan ahlberg (sp)

is really oldfashioned but lovely, things like bucketful of coal and hairnets.

we have noah's ark and the wheels on the bus books with a button to press for music. she brings her books over to us too to read them to her aswell. love the way they communicate with us now, does make life a tad easier

• Options
    I divide books into board books that Abby can read on her own and story books for us to read before bedtime.

Her favourite board books:
    - Peepo
    - Usborne's "Woolly's walk" - she likes finding the duck on every page :\)
    - "Say hello to the baby animals" (Whybrow and Eaves) - although she has scribbled in this one with her crayons. :\(
    - Hungry Caterpillar

Story books:
    - Hairy Maclary books - could not recommend these enough!!
    - "The tiger who came to tea" - although this scares me a bit. If he's that hungry why doesn't he eat the little girl?
    - "World's worst Monster"
    - "Where the wild things are"

TBH I buy most of her books from charity shops. They only cost about 30p and I come back with a range of books that I would never pick otherwise. The only exception are the Hairy Maclary books and I am always buying another one whenever I'm in Waterstones or somewhere.

H xx
  • Options
    Skye seems to be loving any lift the flap books at the moment really. Dear Zoo, Spot Goes to the.... , and Dear Santa are faves, especially if we do all the noises to go with the animals. There's a lion mask in Dear Santa and she hovers over the flap on that page and turns to look at me in anticipation for me to roar when she lifts it!! :lol:

She went off the That's not my... books for a while but has gone back to them now she recognises things in them. She was asking for a 'nana (banana) the other day, and brought me That's not my Monkey book so she could show me that was what she wanted! She loves to point out the bees in them and makes a "brrrr" sound cos she can't "bzzz"!

Books for Skye have to be fairly short, she doesn't have the concentration span to sit through "Guess who much I love you" yet.

My SIL bought her a Busy Book for Xmas which I think came from Waterstone's, and that has bits in it you push, swing, and pull etc. This is always high on the list of books she gets out, so I may get her another one when I'm next in town.
  • Options
    Loads of fab suggestions there. Sounds like the BID boddlers love their books.

Have heard of Peepo so will check it out and the baby bear books and busy books sound good too. One of my faves is 'Where the wild things are' haven't read it to Isaac yet tho.

I'm looking forward to when Isaac can sit through longer stories as there are so many fab choices. I prob won't be saying that when he brings me a story for the hundredth time! :lol:

Isaac also loves noisy books, we have Booo! (ladybird noisy) and he finds it hysterical when we push the buttons for each monster's noise! We have the the wheels on the bus music book too Kar1234, which we have to sing everytime he pushes that button. ;\)

We've tried our local library, and it has a rubbish selection tbh. Was a bit disappointed! Usually get books off amazon as they are cheaper and you get the reviews which give you a bit of an idea. Looks like another trip there is in order! xx

• Options
    love this thread, it's given me great ideas for new books for theo, as we love reading too!

he loves lots of the ones mentioned, especially the lift the flap ones. others he loves are:

baby da vinci my body (a baby einstein book) as it has a mirror on each pages which he likes!

guess who? from amazing baby which you slide out animals

rosie's walk by pat hutchins

each peach pear plum by janet & allan ahlberg (same authors as peepo - another fave which i also love!)

he also loves the books with just pictures and the word for that picture, particularly one called farm animals, published by armadillo books, maybe because it is very bright and colourful.

thanks for some great ideas biddies - i'm off on ebay to buy a few more books to add to our collection!!! (although i'm not sure where many more will fit - theo already has 6 shelves in his bookcase filled!!!) k x
  • Options
    Usborne "Look and say" books - we have Baby Sister and School. Lily loves matching the isolated pics of objects up to the object in the main picture. She's started to match pics up to things in real life, too (eg she'll point at the pic of the radio and then at our real radio).

She also tries to copy words - so she'll point to the pic, listen to me say the word, then try and imitate it! She's wicked at "scissors" but not so hot at "plughole" :lol:
  • Options
    forgot to add playtime rhymes by sally gardner - it was a lovely present, there are some rhymes i didn't know before and others i'd forgotten, a great collection we often use together xxx
  • Options
    Ooh didn't think of getting books off ebay Kate. Will have to take a look!

Each Peach, Pear, Plum such a great classic. Will check out playtime Rhymes and the Look and Say books sound great too.

Isaac will have a whole bookcase soon! I have so many children's books already as a primary teacher. Boxes of them in them in the attic! image Better hope he loves them as much as his mummy!
  • Options
    Well we have our new books and Isaac is mad about his Busy Garden book! We have to look at it all the time, he's absolutely fascinated with all the tabs you pull and twist. Just the right sort of book for him. We are getting the airport and beach ones for when we go on hols in a few weeks should keep him busy and happy on the flight! image So second Iz's recommendation on those.
    He also likes his look and say book, the illustrations are great x
  • Options
    C's favourites at the moment seem to be some hardback in the night garden books (think there are about 4) which have just a couple of sentences per page. he also loves a couple of big pop up books - again an in the night garden one, and he's getting into a peter rabbit great escape one. I got all of them for ??10 from someone at work so it was ??10 well spent!
    Car boot sales and nct sales are also yielding some great ones for us.
  • Options
    I bought another Busy Book last week, Friendly Fish with an intro to patterns and colours. It kept Skye quiet for a whole 2 hour shopping trip , magic!!