Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What do you think?

Hi ladies,

Just after a bit of advice please.... My LO has got into a little bit of a routine recently.... She's sleeping for a very long period in the afternoon (5/6 hours), then waking and I bath her and feed her about 7/8 she then has some play time (trying to keep her awake for a bit as she's slept for so long) and then she'll go down again about 9/10. She then wakes at midnight for a feed and goes straight back to sleep and then again at 4. At 4 though she's really hard to get back to sleep for much longer than an hour or so and it's very unsettled.

My question is should I be waking her after 4 hours after her afternoon nap?!?! Ideally I want her sleeping for that length of time at night but I've read that you should NEVER wake a sleeping baby. But on the other hand I've read that during the day I should be waking her 4 hourly for feeds?!?

How can I get her moving the long nap to the night time not the afternoon?

Replies

• Options
    In all honesty I don't know! DS isn't in any type of routine though he will generally wake every 3/4 hours for a feed. The last few nights he's woke around 2/3ish for a feed and then wanted to play! He's also practising his smiling at this time so can't be annoyed with him image

xxx
  • Options
    agree with lw, we don't have any form of pattern in the day, let alone routine, phoebe can be anything from 30mins-4hours between feeds in the daytime...i never let her go more than 4 hours in the day though, and will wake her if it gets to that pint (which is rare!) xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies,

I obviously spoke too soon... Today she's hardly slept at all so I guess I'm too early to start thinking about much of a routine. Although for 2 nights we've only been up once so fingers crossed that is to continue. We were waking her at 7 because she would have slept even longer but when she settles back down to a good sleep in the afternoon I had decided to push that slowly back to 6 and make her awake time between 6 and 8 instaed of 7 and 9. Although it's all easier said than done I think. When she wants feeding she has to be fed or she screams the house down and when she wants to sleep there's not much we can do to keep her awake so not too sure how I'll do with implenting much of a routine anyways xxxxx