Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Being due near Christmas

Hi,

Just wondering how everyone feels about expecting a baby image... near Christmas. I'm due on the 18th so LO could easily arrive very close to Christmas or maybe afterwards. Even if LO has arrived we might not feel like traveling to see family as we usually do.

I always thought I would avoid Dec/Jan as my nephew who is born in Jan misses out on a lot as his Dads family seem to just ignore his birthday. But after miscarrying to be honest I just want a sticky bean and a Christmas Pud would be most welcome.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mooomin x

Replies

• Options
    I'm quite excited as my birthday is 8th so will have his/her birthday near mine. DS's birthday is 6 days from hubbys in June. Never felt like I missed out as such but was just gutted when I was younger that I had to wait almost a whole year for presents whereas my sisters birthday is July. Am over it now tho!

It's going to be like an extra special Christmas present!

• Options
    My Mum gives my Nephew a little present for his birthday and then a bigger one in the summer so he doesn't miss out also when they are little some toys are seasonal so it helped my sister! There is not much point getting a paddling pool in Jan! Or roller skates on the ice when your feet we have changed by the time its all melted.

I like to idea (if pud is born before Christmas) to either hold off on decorations until after their Birthday or if they are like me and love deccies put them up on their birthday for a treat!

Mooomin x
  • Options
    I'm excited to be holding LO on christmas day!

I'm due the 5th and if anything, he/she will be coming earlier rather than later. I had PE and emerg c/s with dd and I still have bp issues so fingers x'd no later than Dec 5 for me.. I'll be having a c/s, this time scheduled!

TBH, December is not my first choice of months to have a baby but after 15 months of trying, I'm just happy to be in this forum!
  • Options
    My 3 year old twins were born on New Years Eve, (I was due 1st Feb). OH's birthday is 30th June, and we give our girls a present too, OH loves sharing his birthday with them. Some people assume that our girls don't need birthday presents as they've just had Christmas presents, but we make sure that it is a special day for them and thats all that matters!

Jo x
  • Options
    That sounds awesome MummyJT, Canuckmom I know what you mean about Dec not being first choice I too am just so happy to be pregnant and just hope its a sticky one!

Christmas with a brand new baby would be amazing and it means Hubby will get to be at home for longer than he would be as paternity leave can roll into Christmas holiday (obvioulsy depending on what happens).

I'm still finding it hard to sink in but a Christmas baby would be the best present ever.

Mooomin x
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone had started this thread ... I just want to say I was born on the 23rd of Dec 1980 and I absolutely love having my birthday close to Christmas! I have never been to school on my birthday and only worked once on my gap year. I am a teacher so I still get my birthday off every year. People always remember my birthday and they are always happy , in a good mood and up for a party if planned well in advance. My parents were always very particular about no joint pressies so I guess that helped. Anyway I was just going to say I love my Christmas birthday, the lights and the jolliness, so much so I got married on the 22nd of Dec 4 years ago with a Christmas themed wedding. Hope your wee beans love it as much as I do!

Lou

4+6
  • Options
    Sorry G/C from sept11 but my DD was born 12/12/09 and it was lovely having her around at home for xmas. We went to family for dinner (it was nice having someone else do the cooking). My niece was born 24/12/01 and my sister, having had c-sec, was in hospital over all xmas period. The staff fed her massive xmas dinner, gave her and baby present each and the ward was decorated too. We still buy seperate b/day and xmas presents for my niece and also a small gift at easter helps reduce the wait until next time.
  • Options
    Im really excited about having a baby near Christmas. My birthday is end of November, and it never really bothered me being so close to Christmas. i have now decided to go for a VBAC, so if I go over like last time, baby may pop along about 2 weeks before Christmas. Do you think I could still play on the whole 'giving birth' thing, and get out of cooking the Christmas dinner, lol
  • Options
    my edd is 25th of December!

Never thought i'd have a christmas baby but can't think of a better christmas present!
  • Options
    hi girls

Funny topic for me! I was born on 9th December and i HATED having a december birthday! When i was younger i'd always get ' combined birthday and christmas presents' cos it was easier for people. I always got naff birthday cards because the choice is limited (unless ppl buy them in advance) and worse of all, my birthday presents were more often than not wrapped in christmas paper! Of course none of the above matters in the grand scheme of things but it's sh*t when you're a child!!!

Then moving into adulthood, no one would come out for my birthday because of ' work christmas parties' or too skint, saving for christmas etc. I vowed never to have a child in december for this reason. Good job i'm due on 31st hey? hopefully bubs will be late like the last one!!

righto, now that i've said all of the above, i'd like to add that it doesn't really matter when babies are born as long as they are healthy and happy. Just thought i'd give you all a laugh.

on a positive note, it can be fun to have a birthday during party season when all the sparkly christmas accessories are out!

• Options
    I for one can't wait to have my Christmas baby!

I think it will be such a special time to bring baby home!

My best friends birthday is Christmas day, she never got joint presents but after a couple of years her mum noticed that it was difficult to have a birthday party due to the rest of the festivities going on so since she was 3 her mum has always celebrated her birthday on 25th nov so she could have a proper birthday party!

Becky

Xxx
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

My birthday is the 30th dec, and as a child i hated it as i too had joint presents or tat out the sale!! Didn't have a birthday party as my parents said no one would come as it was christmas and people would want to be with family!!! :cry:

My DD was born 5th dec 2006 and we put the decorations up the next day. She Always has a brilliant day and last year had a wonderful party with her friends from nursery!!

Our little pip is due 18th dec but as im having a elec section it may end pop out sooner xx :roll:

Not worried about making their birhtdays special as i know how they'd feel if we didn't make a fuss. Its not much considering its their special day and its only once a year x x x
  • Options
    I know its ages away but what are your thoughts for Christmas we always go see our families who live the other side of the country. Not sure I'd want to do that if I was a week over due or if I little un hadn't long arrived. I know it would be too early to get into a routine and staying with family there would be lots of help but getting used to being parents and breastfeeding probably wouldn't be so easy -also might be a bit overwhelming.

What are your thoughts?

Mooomin x
  • Options
    I'm due christmas day according to my MW, my first little one was 2 weeks early so I'm thinking I'll have either a very young baby or be huge lol!

We've decided to have a quiet Xmas eve/ day just the 3/4 of us and then go and see family on boxing day which we always do anyway! It's an hours drive in each direction but will be worth it!

I can't wait for Xmas! Eeekkkk xxx
  • Options
    Unfortunately for us its a 3-4 hour journey, so have to go for at least a week to see both families or not go and then staying 3 days at each would be a pain moving everything. Can't decide at mo, might book a train and see how we feel at the time.

Its hard to admit it but if it was just my family I would probably go -OH family are lovely but feel a lot more comfortable with my family as we say exactly what we think and are used to little ones.

Don't want to just go to my family though as that really isn't fair.

Oh well ages to decide!

Mooomin x
  • Options
    HI THERE LADIES..

YEAH IT WONDERFUL HAVING A BUNDLE OF JOY COMING INTO THE WORLD AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME.

I AM JUS SOOOO EXCITED TO BE PREGNANT AGAIN AND LOOKING FORWARD IN FINDING OUT THE BABY GENDER SOON!!!imageimageimage

BIG UP TO ALL NEW MUMS !

HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR YOU ALL !

KEEP IN TOUCH ! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Unfortunately for us its a 3-4 hour journey, so have to go for at least a week to see both families or not go and then staying 3 days at each would be a pain moving everything. Can't decide at mo, might book a train and see how we feel at the time.

Its hard to admit it but if it was just my family I would probably go -OH family are lovely but feel a lot more comfortable with my family as we say exactly what we think and are used to little ones.

Don't want to just go to my family though as that really isn't fair.

Oh well ages to decide!

Mooomin x

gatecrashing from DIN but you've said exactly what I feel. Our lo should be about a month by christmas but it's a plane ride or an 8 hour car journey on a good day to get to my parents (the train is far too expensive). Once we've got to my parents it's a two hour drive from there to my in-laws. Basically as much as I want to introduce our lo to our families I dread the travelling. Trying to pack everything for a plane trip sounds a nightmare, but the drive doesn't seem much better. I'm almost hoping for snow again, not enough to make getting about here hard, but enough that setting out on a long car journey with a baby would be madness.

Though you might want to keep your thoughts to yourselves hubby said to our families we weren't sure if we'd be down for Christmas and his have said they'll all come and stay with us. I know they mean well but I don't want to have to look after 4 extra people in our home especially when I don't know how well feeding and everything else will be going. My family realise even if they could all come up (my families much bigger) it wouldn't be fair to impose themselves on us when our life's just been turned upside down anyway.
  • Options
    Hello ladies. My DD is a New Years Eve baby. I remember being in the hospital at midnight and the midwives coming in to wish us all a happy new year, which was lovely. I got a good view of all the fireworks too! She will be 5 this year. image I have asked my family never to give her a joint xmas and bday present unless she asks. (I'm thinking she may want this when she is a teenager!) I give her presents on her birthday obviously and then put some money away for the Summer and she can buy another few bits half way through the year. I also, put some xmas/ bday presents away and give her them on a rainy days, which she loves. My DD really enjoys having her birthday on New Years Eve with all the Christmas decs up, everyone in a party mood and she loves watching the fireworks.

I didn't want another December baby but after having several m/c we are overjoyed to be expecting another lo EDD 24/12/11! This year we are planning to give our DD a birthday party with all her friends on the first weekend of December. This Christmas we will probably go to my in-laws for xmas dinner, presuming I am not in hospital! I am not making any other plans over xmas as I will be taking each day as it comes. DD desperatley wants a brother or a sister so it will be an extra special Christmas for her too. image
  • Options
    If you don't want to go to see relatives what a perfect excuse! My baby is due 5th jan so skint season for everyone! My friends child was born on boxing day and she always has a party for her at the end of june.