Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

had first midwife appointment

Did anyone else get a really luke warm reaction from their midwife?

She says to me so baby number five, you just can't stop yourself, we aren't happy are we? :roll:

I told her we are thrilled, so happy, and grinned at her like an idiot.

So she goes on to say, maintaining her face of stone, well here's your leaflets about screening for disabilities, you'll of course want to have all those, given you have so many other children to consider. She says I should mention being as you have had so many children I'm referring you to the consultant as you are at increased risk of so many complications. You may need a hysterectomy simply to control your bleeding, so you are not thinking home birth are you?

I sat there with my jaw on the floor. She's so lucky I am having a take things with good humor day and not a hormonal rampage day. :lol:

I can't believe I'm being referred to a consultant and she hadn't even asked about how my other deliveries went. I've had really quite easy labours (3 quick homebirths) and deliveries, so I was a little shocked to start the pregnancy assuming the very worst - hysterectomy? I'm not trying to say everything she said doesn't have it's place, but seriously before she even had opened the green book?

Anyhoo, this pregnancy is going to be a lesson in humility, I can already feel that.

How is everyone else today?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    i dont think i would have been so good humoured to her, how unprofessional and rude. do you see the same midwife the whole way thru, maybe the consultant will be kinder. hope my midwife is nicer than that.
  • Options
    That's terrible, i would complain and say i wanted a different midwife. 5 Children is hardly extreme, and to assume you aren't happy about it is disgusting. She needs to seriously re-think her attitude.

Hope you're ok anyway hun.

xx
  • Options
    OMG that is just awful. Is there any possibility of changing to another midwife? They're supposed to be your partner in all this and if she's acting like this now (especially as we're talking about a professional here, someone who is experienced in knowing how to work with a pregnant woman and should understand about treating you with respect) then it doesn't bode well for a successful partnership where you're going to be able to relax around her.

Totally disgraceful. Maybe she was just in a bad mood that day. Hope you find a satisfactory resolution image
  • Options
    I must admit, I'm pretty easy going about it all. Maybe I shouldn't be, but it is so unlikely she will be the one I see in labour which is really all that matters. The consultant will mostly run their own series of tests or what have you and make an informed decision which I'm happy to respect. Though I doubt if everything goes smoothly they would have cause to really class me as a risky pregnancy.

I'm just going to need to keep a good sense of humor just in case.

I see ben and jerrys becoming a typical post midwife visit. image
  • Options
    oh hun she sounds terrible, how unprofessional of her!!! My midwife gave me a phone number to our central midwife in case i wasnt happy with my MW ( im not but i will give her one more chance!) have u got anything like that where u can riase your concerns?

Broodychops

xx