Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Do you think you'll find out?

Just wondering if you will be finding out the flavour of baby at your 20 week scan?

We found out with my daughter and I loved being able to buy pink clothes and dresses, we also named her soon after our scan (only we knew her name) and I loved the bond it created!

This time we are thinking of keeping it a surprise, although it could change!

Anyone know if they will find out or not?

Becky

Xxx

Replies

• Options
    We are not going to. I did want to and then hubby changed my mind and now I am quite looking forward to the surprise. The only reason I wanted to find out was I thought it might help me bond with baby before s/he is born, but hopefully I can do that without knowing! x
  • Options
    I think we will find out this time. We didn't with our first (my insistance, although hubby would have liked to have known), then we did with 2nd (m/c) so I think we will this time too. I would like to prepare myself as to whether it's to be either two girls or one each! We won't be telling anyone else though image
  • Options
    We will be finding out. Like Huglibear said, I think it will help me bond (Ive suffered with depression before so trying to do everything i can to avoid PND). I think we might keep it a secret though, if we can!!hehe! xxx
  • Options
    Oooh, such a good question.

I flip back and forth.

We weren't going to find out last time, but in middle of the scan dh stood up and said 'THAT"S A BOY!!!" - we had three girls first... so he was a little shocked (thrilled, but shocked, we thought we only made girls). image

So we found out as dh could see from the scan.

This time I don't think we will ask but if we can see it ourselves, we won't avoid trying to peek. lol.

xxx
  • Options
    I would quite olike -just because I like knowing everything! And the idea that the sonographer knows and I don't will annoy me.

However, OH doesn't want to know and I feel so much love for this baby already that I don't think it'll make any difference bonding as I don't have any preference.

So probably going to stay neutral, but am going to be part of a trial and have more scans so might find out by accident!

Mooomin xx
  • Options
    We have decided to go yellow this time! Last time we found out in a panic (well, it was me that had a sudden panic not OH!!) at 31 weeks that we were having twin girls. WE new we were havin identical twins, but it all of a sudden mattered what colour clothes to buy! When our daughters were born though, we received so many clothes, blankets etc in neutral colours that are still in really good condition that will definitely be suitable for a boy or girl! I have already chosen my moses basket which has neutral bedding, and we will just add the relevant colour to the nursery with bedding and accessories after our little yellow bundle has arrived.

Jo xx

P.S. DH is under strict instructions to make sure I don't find out!! He is better than me at this kind of thing! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    We found out with DD and kept it a secret! This time around we are not going to find out. We would like the surprise. When we were expecting dd I bought alot of the newborn clothes in neutral colours. So, I'll be able to use them again.
  • Options
    Well we're in Nova Scotia, Canada at the moment and unfortunately it's the health system's policy here NOT to tell you. I found out it's not a law, ''just'' a policy, but they still won't tell. It's hard to get a straight reason, but it seems it's due to a) preventing gender-related abortions (I mean, why would anyone do that anyway???) and b) to avoid lawsuits if their ''educated guess'' is wrong and the parents turn round and sue the health department.

So to cut a long story short, yes we want to find out but we'll have to pay for a private scan,

When's the best time to find out with near certainty? I see some of you will find out at your 20-week scans (lucky you!) - is it easy enough to tell by then, or should we wait a little longer if we go private? (we were thinking 22-24 weeks?)
  • Options
    As its our first we r sticking team yellow!!! I keep thinking it would be nice to know but at the same time at the end of labour i want a nice surpise!!!! Hubby is also certain he doesnt want to know so ill stick with him!!!

xxx
  • Options
    We want to find out, mainly due to finances so we can get gender specific things. Even though we've been given loads of boys second hand stuff already from the few people that know haha.

I also personally want to know so I can refer to it by a name, so it'll feel really real image
  • Options
    We will be finding out again this time.I like being organised and as were having to have a rearrangement of bedrooms id like to know if I can decorate pink or neutral (the 2 little ones will be sharing the bigger kids room) it'll also be good to know if I need to go and buy blue clothes or if I'm fully fitted out with pink already. scan feels forever away though. tempted to get a pee predictor lol
  • Options
    Pee predictor?? What's that?
  • Options
    I read about them on due in November back when I thought I was due nov 30th . they're about ??20 from amazon and predict the gender by testing the hormone levels in your pee. I hear they are fairly accurate too x
  • Options
    we're going to stay Team Yellow as want to leave it as a surprise for the birth. I prefer neutral colours anyway so hapy to have a non gender specific nursery and clothes etc. My mum called bubs peanut once and the name has really stuck so that's what we all call bump and it does help create a bit of a bond ...I think it might stick as a nickname lol
  • Options
    We didn't find out with dd, its was exciting not knowing!

This time i don't think we will find out as we have been told i am having another section so we will already know when pip is coming so i need a suprise, although i will be looking closely at the scan at 20 weeks

x x
  • Options
    we didnt find out with ou 1st although we were convinced he was a boy and guess what he was image we wont be finding out this time and we are both convinced shes a girl so who knows :lol: could we be right a 2nd time ? i love suprises hehe