Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Had my booking in appointment today!

So glad it's all official and I have my maternity notes, it seems much more 'real' now image

Midwife seems absolutely lovely, which is a relief, and she'll be the only one I'll see instead of seeing lots of different ones. Unfortunately, she's had to put me under consultant-led care as my BP is already up from 120/70 to 140/85, so there goes my nice calm birthing unit birth I wanted. She thinks I'll have to have meds for the blood pressure, but it'll be up to the consultant.

On the plus side, I should get my scan date through in the next week, so that's something to look forward to!

xx

Replies

• Options
    Awwww exciting stuff! image xx
  • Options

aww i cant wait to have mine, iv got about 3 weeks yet! image shame about ur blood pressure maybe it will stabilize further on?! xxx

• Options

Yay! Glad it went well. Sorry to hear about the BP, but atleast they will keep an eye on you now for that.

Can I ask, did they take a urine sample and blood test at the first appt?

I've got mine next Thursday. Can't wait! 

• Options

Thanks ladies - and as DH pointed out, it means we'll most likely get extra growth scans too, so more chances to peek at Pip!

undecideduk2, she took both urine and blood samples. Off the top of my head, they're testing for urine infections, ketones, blood group, immunities to things like rubella etc., and any blood infections like hepatitis. The midwife said I should hear back with the results next week.

• Options
    Thanks for that. My GP had given me one of those sample pots for FMU but midwife (& appt confirmation letter) didn't mention I'd need one. Will probably take it with me just in case. Good news about the extra scans. Hubby & I are already umming & ahhing about a 26-week 4d scan (the sonographer at our early scan was pitching their products!) as 20-weeks until you meet baby seems a long time to wait! Fingers crossed the meds keep your BP under control, don't want to get signed off later and have to start maternity leave too early!
  • Options

I'm lucky in that I work from home, so I've put everything on the back burner for now and managing on the royalties from previous projects. There's lot of flexibility, so if I need to finish up early I can do, but I can do just an hour or two each day from the sofa and still get a good amount of work done if necessary. Hopefully, that means I can work up to 37/38 weeks even if my BP doesn't stabilise at a reasonable level. xx