Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby wont stay still at night, I cant stand it any more!!!!

Help! Is anyone's LO doing this at night?

She flails her arms and legs about until she has kicked off all of her covers and just will not settle, i try to put her down after she has had breast when she's in that milky coma phase but that doesn't work, then i tried holding her until she went to sleep but the minute i put her down she did the same, I've tried swaddling but she hates having her arms covered and thrashes about until they are free then works on freeing her legs!!!!!!

The strange thing is that it always seems to start on her second feed of the night (12/1am), i'm considering making this feed a bottle rather than breast in the hope she might settle better?

She has been doing this really badly for the past 3 nights, i dont honestly know how she is managing without the sleep because she is thrashing about all night, i know i'm not managing that well on 3 hours sleep a night! I don't know whats wrong with her, whether she's in pain with wind or has slept too much during the day. or isnt getting enough milk????

I've got a gro bag, does anyone else use a gro bag for a newborn, at the hospital they said not to use it for a newborn even though its 0-3 months?:\(

Replies

• Options
    Joseph is similar and the only way i can get him to go into his own bed is wen he is in a deep sleep, wen he is in the milky coma stage and falls off the breast, he wakes up as soon as i try to move him and then he becomes so alert...

i try to swaddle him as well but he dnt like it tht much as he tries to wriggle free but only manages to get his arms out...

really hope things settle for u.... and soon...
  • Options
    I was wondering about the gro bags to as they say from 0-6 months but i have heard the same about not using them early on? Is she warm enough i have had to put 3 blankets on Isabelle and that seems to settle her but i did have the same problem last night till 12.30am and then she seems to settle but it could also be that she is overtired. Isabelle spent most of the day awake yesturday screaming and considering babies need alot of sleep she probably was knackered as i was too!!

If you want to put her on that bottle then go for it hun but i think it may be a case of just not used to her bed yet and wanting to be cuddled. Do whatever you feel is best for you and baby sorry i couldnt be any more help i think alot of us are in the same situation about the sleeping issues xx
  • Options
    sorry i might not be much help but when i was BFing i found that at around then my milk seemed to be low and nancy wouldnt settle so i started topping her up only on that feed 1.5oz settled her for about 4hrs, it might not be this bout worth a try!
    i knew i had a low milk supply have with both me other girls, with me the top ups just kept getting bigger as my milk didnt fill nancy as she got bigger and hungryer!
    hope this helps in some way!
    xxxx
  • Options
    My eldest son did this, he spent the first 3 nights of his life crying and wriggling and i realised he was cold. I had done the one sheet and one blanket thing and he was frozen. He was better when i wrapped him up more but he still thrashed around. I swaddled him really tightly so he could wriggle but couldnt get out and he would settle. I remember when he was a bit bigger lying next to him holding his arms and legs tightly so he couldnt move.

I hate to say but now he is 4 and is exactly the same. He never stops, he jumps around fidgets and just seems to have ants in his pants!!!!!

My other son would only settle when full and if he didnt go to sleep i fed him more so it could be that he is still hungry, or you could maybe try a dummy to give him something else to think about

good luck

Gemm x
  • Options
    i used sleeping bags with all mine when 1 week old and had been weighed by HV as baby has to be 8lb or over to use them, asda do a lovely one 0-6 months for ??10 and are no diffrent to the gro bag ones apart from the ??20-??25 , louie was 8lb 13oz born and fits in it nicely, so much easyer, warmer and safer then blankets x
  • Options
    We tried swaddling Felix for the first 3 nights, he kicked all the covers off and hated having his arms covered. We put him in a grobag on day 4 and he slept like a log only waking for a feed. He was 8lb 6oz at birth and never dropped below 8lbs so we were not worried about using them. As long as they meet the minimum weight requirement and their head doesn't fit through the neck hole they are perfectly safe.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm G/C from due in December. My LO Hugo (11 weeks today) was exactly the same when he was newborn - all sleepy and tired in my arms then the minute he hit the mattress of the moses basket, he was wide awake with arms and legs going everywhere. He HATED being swaddled and screamed the place down but was constantly kicking off his blankets.

This may not (or it may!) be what you want to hear but you may just have to ride it out. Hugo has now grown out of it and from about 6 weeks he was put down in his moses basket at 7.30 (while still awake) and went straight to sleep. He still does this now and is going for longer and longer. I exclusively breastfeed and at around 6 weeks he would wake at 11pm for a feed but now he goes to about 2-3am. He goes down again very well after that feed too but that didn't really happen til about 7 weeks. What really helped here was a regular bath and bedtime routine at about the same time each night so he knew what was coming up.

So stick with it. It's exhausting I know but your LO is still so little and these things take time! I think it's important to give our babies time to understand what's going on and come around to what is really OUR schedule naturally - they all will eventually.

Peeptoe and Hugo - 11 weeks today