Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone not returning to work??

Hi ladies

So I am due to return to work on 4 January...still quite a way off but its at the forefront of my mind most of the time. I work in London but live outside (30 mins train journey away) and was considering going back part-time but now I'm not so sure. We can't really afford for me to stay at home but I am really torn. In my job, I used to work long hours (certainly outside the usual nursery hours of 8am-6pm) and I feel that if I go back part-time I won't be able to give it my all. But i worry about what I'd do at home all day and that I won't have any mental stimulation. I have quite a few baby friends now but they are all returning to work next year and fear I'd be lonely at home all the time. However my ds is now 7 months old and I can't believe how quick its gone and I think if I was at work during these young years, I would be missing out. Surely he'll soon be school age and then I can go back to work?
Has anyone else decided to become a SAHM and how are you feeling about it??

xx

Replies

• Options
    hi hun im being a stay at home mum as i want to spend as much time as i can with mia at least until she is 1 yr old . but im also going tohopefully do my gcse resits an go bk to college. xx
  • Options
    hi, I have no plans to go back to work just now. I worked for a bank for nearly 11 years when I was accepted for a voluntary redundancy package they were offering and it was too good to say no! I did have a lot of travelling in and out of work though and usually left the house at about 7.20am and didn't get home until 6pm. I went back 4 days a week after dd was born, but it was still tiring and not much quality time with her.
    By the time I knew I was getting the package I knew I was pg with Harry so timing was great and I was 17 weeks pg when I left.
    Realistically I wont get as well a paid job again, partly because I don't want as much travelling etc, so I dont want what little I will be earning to go on child care so I have decided to stay at home probably until Harry is in p1.
    It can be tough keeping them both entertained sometimes, but I def wouldnt have it any other way now. I'm very lucky in that I did get a pay off, but trying not to use it as much as poss to make it last longer!
    I have a good mixture of friends, and my best friend is also a sahm, so again i'm lucky, but I know that it could be tough if you don't have adult company as well.
    Sorry if I've waffled on, thats my story anyway!
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies guys. It makes me worried though as you all seem to have family/friends who are around also. I live 2 hours away from mine and oh's family so will be on my own. Think I need to get out more and make some more local sahm friends, aarggh!!
  • Options
    Hi Hun,

the plan is for me to become a sahm and I'm really looking forward to it. However in some ways like you I don't know any other sahm around me and all my mummy friends work and so when they're off they want to spend it with their family and I really can't blame them for that!

About a month ago I grew a pair of balls (so to speak) and went to a local baby group and it was the best thing I'd done!!! I met a lovely lady there with a girl 2 months older than rebecca and were becoming good friends. It's made a real difference to me and I now look forward to going to the baby group every Monday!

I've waffled on and I'm not sure if that helps at all!!

Jem
    xx
  • Options
    I agree with jw82, you have to make an effort. I have a large network of friends now in my area and im not from here and my family dont stay here. I started going to toddlers groups and mini gyms and have now met some nursery mums who have now turned into school mums. We moved here 3 years ago and i knew no one, i worked and met no one, but you have to make an effort.

Find a local toddlers group, walk in with a happy face, walk up to someone and say hi and start chatting. Another good tip is go to the same place every week at the same time. I go to a local soft play and started going for lunch the same day every week and you get chatting to the same people.

Gemm x
  • Options
    There are a few toddler groups in the area and I have visited them with my baby friends but I need to not tell them I'm going so I can go alone!! When you go with friends, its hard to make new ones. They are all returning to work so I need to make an effort.
    Thanks for your replies girls xx