Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what is your baby doing so far?

hi ladies.

I've posted this mainly because i have made the fatal mistake of reading what babies are doing by 8 weeks and now i am worried sick dylan isn't doing what an average baby does at his age. He will be 8 weeks old on saturday and although i know babies do develop at different rates, he doesn't seem to be doing most of what guides say he should. For example... Smiles, they do happen but don't really seem to be in response to me. He doesn't really make eye contact either. Cooing... He has made the odd noise but it's quite rare. As for looking at and reaching for toys, he doesn't. He has a play mat and completely ignores the toys that hang down choosing to look round the room instead. He also seems fascinated with pitures on the wall.

What are your babies doing so far and what could the do at 8 weeks?

Thanks, Melissa x x

Replies

• Options
    Dont panic Melissa! They are all different. Arran is 11 weeks today and he started smiling about 6 weeks but it was only an odd few usually saved for his brothers. He is doing it more now.

he does goo and chat but he has been chatty since he was tiny. My ds2 didnt tho, he was quiet.

As for reacxhing for things i can see him arm trying to point in the direction and his fingers twitch but he cant grab things. He does give me eye contact tho and he loves pictures.

Its hard when u have another child but i would just keep chatting to him in an excited voice to get his attention but if you are worried ask you HV

Gemm x
  • Options
    Adam smiles lots and coos away, trying to join in conversations. He makes lots of eye contact too. I was really worried about this as I spent the first three weeks of his life crying (bad case of the baby blues!) and was convinced he wouldn never smile as he'd never seen me do it! Got to love those irrational post-natal hormones... :roll:

Anyway, he has no interest at all in toys - like Dylan he'd rather stare round the room (or at our light shades - he loves them!). He doesn't reach for things either.

When we do tummy time he just lies there licking the mat! He can sort of hold his neck up for about two seconds and that is it!

I am trying not to worry too much though. As Gemm says, babies develop at different rates so I'm sure he will take more interest in things soon.

Cath and Adam (8 weeks and 6 days!)
    xx

PS - does anyone else fidn their HVs useless?? If I go to them with any concerns they just say 'take him to the GP'!!

[Modified by: **Cath** on April 16, 2010 09:21 AM]

• Options
    lo smiles and coos a lot, she's quite chatty and will coo in conversation with me, as for toys she hits the toys sometimes on her playmat but thats because her arms are flailing around lol :lol: she doesn't grab anything yet, not toys anyway, she's just started being interested in the tv and will watch it for a bit! she follows me around the room when i move.

Other than that she has started to roll on to her side which is annoying, especially when your trying to get her sleeping on her back! Tummy time wise she hates it lol, she can lift her head, the HV said she has a strong neck and has been able to hold her head up for a while now.

I don't want anyone to take it as meaning their lo should be doing the same though, my lo is a big girl which i think is part of the reason she started to hold her head up a little early, she's getting out of 0-3 month clothes now at nearly 9 weeks? maybe its the chubby chin thats holding her head up hahahahaha:lol:
  • Options
    Morello, my DD grew out of 0-3 at 9 weeks.

As for tummy time, Dylan doesn't mind it for a little bit but he doesn't seem to like it that much and doesn't hold his head up. He has been rolling onto his side for a fair few weeks now though but doesn't do it in bed, just when he is laid on the floor.

I talk to him a lot and give him a lot of interaction, I have a sing to him and he does seem to like listening to music.

On a positive note, this morning, he looked right at my eyes and smiled which made me more than happy !!

Melissa
  • Options
    hi hun dont worry about wot the guide lines say.as like u sed ur self babies develop at dif rates.

mia is now 11 wks old, she s smiling , giggling,cooing, holding her own head , trying to roll over and sit up, grabbing for her toys and a few other bits , she as also learnt that if she digs her heels in floor an pushes she can move her self backwards which she finds very funny.
    she is also a lil chunk and is in 3-6 month old clothes which shes been in for a bout 2 weeks now so has now been named the incredible chunk lol .

cath i also find my hv usless. , went to see them yesterday to get lil chunk weighed. thought id sk bout her feedin as mia is now on wysoy as she as exzma an its milk related , did they do a hungry baby or is there anything else they could sujest ,
    she sed o fed her every 3 hrs the same amount surley that will make her huge ? plus its only in the morning shes really hungry so i sed wot about a lil bit of baby rice well. o nono u cant do that the guide line says 6 months but we understand sum babys need sooner. so id say 4 - 5 months my lo is not goin to wait till then lol. so i sed well ill wait till around 3 monthish as this was wen i i was told to wean my eldest who is now 6 an it had done her no harm. and the reply i got was well we used to throw our chidren up chimneys an we dont now . wot had that got to do wi anything. o and shes to young to teeth aparently but yet u can see lil white buds in her gums.

loz and mia 11 wks 2days xx
  • Options
    George has been smiling for the last couple of weeks, and for tummy time he lifts his head up anc can move it to look both left and right. That said he spends most of the time with his face in the mat trying to root on it! yummy...
    He tends to stare at the walls for no reason whatsoever, but does look towards the lamps if they are on, and can follow us if we get up and move around.
    DH was with him on the bed yesterday, he (dh) was lying down with lo on his knees at his side leaning onto him, and I could see him trying to move his legs as tho he wanted to move to try and get to something! He's always put weight on his legs when you hold him up on your lap!
  • Options
    lmao animal @ throwing kids up chimneys. I do know what you mean though. There is no way on this planet that Dylan will last until 6 months before I give him food!! When I had Elise 10 years ago, the guidelines were 16 weeks before weaning, I started giving Elise a quarter of a rusk mixed with my ebm at night and it never did her any harm. From 4 months she had a cup too with a tiny bit of baby juice in it once a day.

I noticed yesterday when Dylan was sat in his chair that he was watching were I was. When he has tummy time, he doesn't really lift his head but can move it from side to side but mostly roots trying to get a feed ( he does this on the side of his moses basket too??)

I told my hv the other day that I though Dylan was starting to teeth and she said he could be but wouldn't get the teeth through for a few months yet. Elise got her 2 bottom teeth when she was 4 months old. Dylan is drooling, biting his fists and on his bottom gums I can see white marks.

Melissa
  • Options
    Alex has been smiling since he was 3weeks. I asked the HV as i was certain it as real smiles but i no they used to say no its wind. She said it probably was real smiles as it was a massive smile that stayed on his face for awhile. He has started to lift his head when he has tummy time but seems more interested in eating his mat instead lol. He has had a really strong neck since he was born though. He LOVES laying on his mat n just stares up out the window or at the wall n laughs n chats away to himself. Hes found his tounge now n keeps poking it out at me. Hes very cheeky his giggle is so cute. He will chat with you for ages.
    He has followed ur voice and stared at you since he was born. He was 15days late so i think he had abit more time to read his instruction manual before he was born lol

Sarah and Alex (6weeks and 3days)
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Melissa

I am crying as I read your post....my DS is 9 weeks and he is not smiling, he has smiled but it is very random, he never seems to look right at me..I am so upset..

When we had our 6 week check the doctor asked if he was smiling and I said no..she said 'oh dear', but nothing else.

I mentioned it to the HV today, she asked if he was watching what I was doing and again sometimes he is and then not at all, she asked if he followed a toy/rattle with his eyes, well foolishly I have tried it tonight and no he doesn't follow a toy....

So now I am really concerned and feel there is something wrong...also looked on the internet and cried even more...silly i know...Also my older son smiled at 5 weeks.....

lot of love

Kerry xx
  • Options
    aw hunni try not to worry to much , i no its easyer sed than done. go back to ur hv and ask questions if ur really conserned hun. and dont forget they do things at dif rates xxxx
  • Options
    Lily is 10 weeks 3 days, and is smiling, chatting lots, pushes her self up with her feet , although mainly just in her moses basket. She is rolling onto her side.

She now holds Linkies? i think thats what they are called (the little rings) and will also hold her sophie the giraffe, which she also loves to lick, infact i would say that is her fav toy at the moment.

She gets excited when my Husband comes home from work, kicks her legs like made if laying down or smiles like mad if in my arms.
    She also chats happily to our black and white canvas of our wedding and watches the tv, football is her fav?