Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeps during the day

DS sleeps really well at night, he has a feed around 8pm and goes straight down and sleeps until about 3am, has another feed then sleeps through until morning which I am really happy with.

But during the day is a complete nightmare. He won't go down awake, he lays chatting to himself then gets fed up after about 20 minutes and starts crying, if I leave him he just gets hysterical and gets hiccups.

If he drifts off during a feed he wakes up the second I put him in his cot. The only place he will sleep during the day is in his bouncy chair with the vibrate turned on but I am worried about him sleeping in a semi-upright position for so long.

He sleeps well when we are out in the car or pram but I can't go out for 3 hours every lunchtime to make sure he has a decent sleep! If I don't go out or let him sleep in his chair he just doesn't bother sleeping and stays awake all day which can't be good for him at 9 weeks!!

What is everyone else doing and do you have any tips for me. I don't want to do controlled crying or anything like that.

Replies

• Options
    Its so hard when they wont sleep. You need a while to yourself as well and thats why i think the long sleep over lunch time is so important. Its worth while keeping trying to get him to have a good sleep at that time, believe me, when he is 2 you will need that break.

The only advice i can give you is what im having to do with Arran to try and knock him into shape. I try and take him for a walk if he is up when he should be asleep. The only other thing i try and do is make sure he is totally full up,. the last few days ive put him down around 12 ish and he has slept for half an hour and woken up crying, so i think he is still hungry and feed him again. Today however i started feeding him at 11am and fed him on both sides with burping time in between so i knew he should be totally full, then i put him to bed. He did the usual and woke up an hour later and i went up and gave him a burp and put him back and left him. He cried on and off for about 10 mins and then went to sleep. I wouldnt have left him if he was going mad but it was more an attention shout not an upset cry. He did crash and i had to wake him at half 2.

Do you put him down in the dark? Do you have a soothing music thing? I do all these things and i out him in his own room and these things all help

Gemm x
  • Options
    hi love

does he get overtired in the day?

I'm just wondering whether if he sleeps so well at night he just doesn't need anything more than a few cat naps during the day?

Does he go down awake at night?

xx

ps- DD was a bit like this a few weeks ago and it was driving me mad as she was getting really overtired and grumpy but was fighting sleep ALL day. However if she hadn't have been overtired I might not have bothered 'forcing' her into daytime naps!
  • Options
    Emily is the same Miss I! She catnaps during the day for no more than 30-60mins at a time! She also doesnt settle on her own during the day unless she is in her bouncy chair. I sometimes give her a dummy to settle her and she automatically spits it out once she is asleep. I have been going for long walks but she will still wake up and just grin at me! She doesnt really get cranky when she is awake. She also sleeps great at night so i am not too worried about her being awake so much during the day.

Lx
  • Options
    forgot to say....I think DD is one of those babies that needs it to be dark (not necessarily quiet though) to sleep. She'll sleep in her crib really well during the day or in the pram, but only if I cover the 'pram window' with a pashmina. Have to take my black one with me everywhere as she just WON'T sleep if there are things to look at. I get some very starnge looks in town. Am sure people think I'm some bonkers woman with a cat in there or something!!! x
  • Options
    Lol at the cat thing MN!!
    He doesn't get cranky when he is awake all day so I just don't think he is a sleepy baby but I would like to have the option to be able to put him down when I know he is tired and not have a fight on my hands every time.
    I can't make his room dark. We live in a flat and the sun goes across us so we have sunlight into his room all day. The window is also a full size patio style window so we would need a 2nd mortgage to buy a black out blind that size. He sleeps well in the sitting room so I don't think it is a light thing.
    I put him down awake at night and he wriggles about and chews on his hand for a bit then goes off no problems.
    I have tried giving him a dummy but he cries when it falls out (constantly) so I have found it easier just not giving him one and he isn't too fussed by it, he prefers his fist!
    I have been thinking about getting a mobile for his cot but I am not sure if stimulating him is the best idea and because his room is so bright one of the light ones would be useless although I think he would really like them.
    My OH got made redundant recently and is home all day so it's not an issue, I get plenty time to get stuff done and get a break whenever I want one but like I said it would make life easier if he would go down when I want/need him to.
  • Options
    All my kids have had the music light show things and they are great, really relaxing and especially at night if i need to go into the kids, i put them on and its a really dim light so it doesnt upset them too much

Gemm x
  • Options
    If Adam is cranky and fighting sleep, he tends to flail around a lot and bash himself in the face! If I sit next to him and hold both of his hands and make loud sushing noises he tends to nod off, but never for more than 45 mins at a time.

Also, we have found that putting the hairdryer on works wonders at getting him to sleep! (does that make me a bad mummy?!)

xx