Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

DH has really upset me this evening :(

The other night Niamh decided to be a little tinker and refused to take her bedtime bottle from me. She took it fine with DH and went off to sleep no problem.

Anyway tonight DH has gone out with some old friends for a reunion. When he got home from work and we were having tea I said to him imagine if Niamh decides to refuse her bed time bottle from me again tonight - what we would we do and his reply really upset me. He said Niamh would have to wait or I would have to give her baby rice instead. When I got upset he said I could always bring her to the pub so he could give her the bottle. I am really upset by his attitude and comments. Fair enough I know it is a really important night for him (I have heard about nothing else all week) and he is really excited about it but I would have thought Niamh would still come first. On the rare occassion I have been out before Niamh has fallen asleep I have checked how she is about a million times within the first 5 mins of leaving the house and regardless of how important my night out was I would come home immediately if DH phoned to say Niamh needed me!

He has really upset me. Do you think I am over reacting?

Replies

• Options
    Hi Mrs Calopa,

All i can say is MEN! Am sending you a massive hug and i think often our hubbies speak first and think later unlike us ladies who use our brains before our mouths!

Love Rena x
  • Options
    I agree with Rena, men just don't think! My hubby had the cheek to tell me he was tired the other day when i had been up 5 times to Emily and had had 4 hours sleep! Try not to take it to heart, i'm sure if you did need to ask him to come home for Niamh, he would be home like a shot!

Just relax and enjoy your night by yourself with some chocolate and wine once Niamh is in bed image

Lx
  • Options
    oh i second the chocolate and wine! xxxxx
  • Options
    I have the glass of wine in hand! I did get some chocolate in the weekly shop for tonight but that was gone by Wednesday night whoops
  • Options
    Good girl image I've just got wine too, I ate my choc this afternoon! lol.

How are you getting on with weaning? Are you still expressing? x
  • Options
    Weaning is very adhoc i.e I give her bits of food when I feel she wants it! I am hoping to get it sorted this weekend but I am so scared of doing it that I keep putting it off. She will probably still be on bits of food when she starts school lol

I am still expressing at the minute but I am in the process of stopping! I feel very strange and emotional about it. I love the fact she is getting my milk and if we had been lucky enough to crack breastfeeding I would defintiely be continuing but various things such as holidays and KIT days at work are working against the expressing.Plus my small brain needs to start concentrating on expressing.

How are you and your gorgeous girl doing?

• Options
    I think you are amazing for having stuck it out this far, many women would have given up at the first hurdle. You have done so well, Niamh is very lucky to have such a dedicated mummy image

Six months is the recommended minimum age for exclusively giving breast milk. So you have done so well and given her the best start you can image

Me and Emily are great, I'm still bf, i don't know how long i will continue but i want to try and avoid formula feeds if possible, i've come this far so i want to do as much as i can. Hopefully i can just get it down to morning and evening feeds when i go back to work in Oct/Nov. I am hoping to hold off weaning for another couple of weeks. I just can't really get my head round it all, i think i will need to get to the library and look at some books!

Lx
  • Options
    I know, as i've said before i think i am just scared of doing it wrong! Its such a huge responsibility x
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend the Annabel Karmel books. I have bought two and then got another one from the library! Just need to read them now. There was also a weaning guide in one of the baby magazines I bought this month!

It is so confusing isn't it x
  • Options
    Hello Mrs Calopa do you mind me asking which mag as still not started the weaning and would love some help as am totally terrified!!!! xxx

ps have the wine but DH forgot the requested mint matchsticks grrrrrrrr!!!
  • Options
    Hi Rena78 Its practial parenting.

I agree it is a hugh responsibility and there is so much conflicting advise out there! The annabel Karmel books have meal planners in them which look helpful but it still worries me!
  • Options
    Thanks will get it tommorrow as feel like i need something in writing that i can keep going back too as like you say the advice is so different it just sounds so hard!!!!! Argh sorry typing this while big furry baby is lying next to me snoring and i keep losing my train of thought and drifting off into semi sleep!!!