Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Traumas with getting dressed/undressed

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone else is struggling with their LO in terms of getting dressed/bath time?

Millie hates it. Its a real struggle and she screams her head off and gets herself into a real tizz. Anything at all to do with water, or changing her vest/top has the same effect. Its strange as she quite likes nappy changes and gurgles her way through those. She hates being manhandled, and its the same whoever does it - me hubby, my mum, MIL etc. Its really upsetting to see her so distressed, I've taken to leaving her in the same clothes for as long as possible before they get grubby - what a bad mummy!

Anyone else had struggles with this and got any tips?

Lou x

Replies

• Options
    Oh sorry hun, that must be stressful! Taylor loves bathes and being naked so I haven't got experience of the same problem, but you could think about trying a cranial osteopath. They can help the baby recover physically from the birth. Perhaps Millie has got some aches and pains, birth must be pretty traumatic on the body! My friend is an osteopath and she's already given Taylor a treatment and she loved it! They're very gentle so wouldn't do any harm. I'm going to book Taylor in for another treatment as she seems to constantly have a blocked nose!-x-
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - I'm not sure if its the naked thing or not tbh. The traumas start as soon as I try to get anything over her head, or in/out of her arms. That's stressful enough, but adding water into the equation just takes it to a whole new level of distress!

Will try some of those tips - lets hope we can conquer it soon. I have lots of lovely clothes for her and its no fun dressing at the moment so they stay put in the wardrobe.

• Options
    Dylan hated his first few baths as I didn't pit much water in them now I fill them so it covers his whole body & he loves it, he must have been cold before.

With the dressing thing he's ok at nappy change 2 but when I put his top on he gets weird when I put things over his head but completely freaks out & goes mad when his arms are touched to take his clothes on or off. Now I don't usually change his vest everyday unless we have a leaky nappy or something cos I don't like to distress him too much.
  • Options
    g/c from DIJan... My little girl hated being taken out of the bath and being dressed, she screamed for the first 6wks or so but then suddenly stopped and now is calm enough to enjoy a massage. I stick her towel in the dryer while she is in the bath and that certainly helped. You may already be doing so but rolling the sleeves up before pushing her arms through (instead of pulling the arm though the entire sleeve) can also help lessen the change time trauma. I hope it passes soon, dont worry - it will! x
  • Options
    Marley wasnt fussed on his first bath but after the enital bath he just lays back an chills and loves having water drizzled over him with a flannel.
  • Options
    Angel eyes, it sounds exactly the same as Millie - if you get any miraculous cure, do let me know!!!!!
  • Options
    I've just given him a bath all was well he was smiling & kicking about. I tried rolling up his sleeves but he still screamed the house down when I went near his arms. He makes it worse cos he tenses them up and is quite strong so I can't move his arms and don't want to force him and hurt him.