Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how is breastfeeding going for those of us who are?

just wandered how bf was going ours is a lot better since the thrush incident and zac seems to be a mini pro now he latches on with no help can do it any position, but he has become rather naughty i still feed on demand but we do have a bit of a routine but sometimes he will let me know he wants feeding but after a couple of sucks he throws his head back laughing and theres milk squirting every where and he keeps doing it then gives up and im sure he knows what he is doing :roll:

it gets quite embartrasing and messy especially when im in public plus sometimes he growls at me and kind of leaps on and growls a bit whilst shaking his head with my poor nipple in his mouth it doesnt hurt but is a bit freaky

he has been having 2 bottles of expressed a day but now will only drink half then demands his boob and he cant go to sleep at night until he has had boob also he cant have bottle or he will stay up till he gets what he wants

but the good thing is i still enjoy it which certainly surprises me and am so glad i decided to give it a go even though i am now a 40g and was a 38b i so which i could have my nice small boobies back is my only regret

Replies

• Options
    I'm combi feeding and it's going really well for us. I breast feed Evie 3/4 times a day and we are both pros at it now! Evie latches straight on, even at night in the dark. I felt my supply had dropped after missing a couple of feeds when I went out at the weekend but I added another feed and it soon went back up again. Breast feeding was so had during the first week or so of Evies life but we persevered and here we are nearly 11 weeks later and all is great! image
  • Options
    I breastfeed on demand and it is fab.

In fact I express and freeze about 100ml a day, which will be picked up by a motorcycle courier in a month and taken to the hospital in Exeter to be used for the neonatal babies.

Amelia doesn't miss out because breastmilk is a supply and demand, so the more I use the more I make.

I find it all so convenient, and if I happen to stay somewhere longer than I planned I always have enough food for her! :lol:

Hope it's going well for any others who are BF.

Nell & Amelia 8 weeks

Like Mrs B said, the first 2 weeks we had teething troubles, but plough on through them and all is good.
  • Options
    im glad we are still enjoying it my friend is surprised but then again she sees it as a chore!

we are now down to 1 bottle of expressed a day if im lucky all of a sudden zac hates bottles and dummys think he much prefers the boob for both

my only problem is i forget which side i fed from sometimes and by the end of the day i can end up with lob sided boobies :roll: but oh has bought me a lovely pandora bracelet with a baby boy charm on so i canchange wrists with each feed fingers crossed it works but if not i will have lobsided boobs but a pretty bracelet image

nell that is a wonderful thing to do how did you find out about doing it?
  • Options
    Hi Mummynowto5,

I watched that BBC3 (rubbish) documentary Breast is best, or something like that. The only good thing about the programme was the information about the UK association for milk banking, so I googled it and went from there. http://www.ukamb.org/

I had to have a blood test to check I didn't have HEP B or C, HIV, Syphillis or HTLV 1 & 2, I had this done at my local surgery.

It does make me feel good to know I will be helping premature babies to live, and thank my lucky stars that my children weren't born premature.
  • Options
    Hey ladies,

Glad to hear bf is all going well for you guys. Unfortunately I've just had to stop : ( I really enjoyed it and found it easy for the first 10 weeks, then all of a sudden I got really bad split nipples and it was agony. I went to drs who was really negative and unhelpful and just said 'oh, you're really gonna struggle, you should probably give up - here's some steroid anti biotic cream.' I came away feeling really down about it and felt I had no support. I didn't want to use steroid cream while I was bf so I didnt use it and decided to rest the worst nipple and just hand express from that boob for a couple of days, but then I got mastitis! I obviously wasn't as effective at emptying as she is! That cleared up pretty quickly as soon as I started feeding again, but nipples were agony and bleeding lots. when Taylor latched on i'd often yelp and had to resist the urge to throw her!! I thought i'd try combination feeding to ease the load on my poor nips, but unfortunately that caused my milk supply to dry up, and even when I started feeding more regularly again, i'd run out of milk and have to top up the feed with a bottle so we decided to call it a day. I managed to bf til she was 3 months, I was hoping to get to 6 months so felt disappointed and went through a feeling guilty phase but luckily Taylor is happy on the bottle and I'm enjoying sleeping without wearing a bra!

In hindsight I wish i'd asked to see another dr or called the breastfeeding helpline as if i'd managed it better I'm sure I could've carried on longer. I'll def try bf again with my next baby.

-x-
  • Options
    think i may have a nosey at that site sounds like a wanderful thing to do image

katie i can sympathise i am at that point with sore cracked nips not sure why? im literally gritting my teeth everytime he latches on i try give bottles and feel guilty even though i know i shouldnt as i know it is best for both of us and 3 months is still fantastic image

lucky you i think thats my pet hate for bf i hate sleeping in a bra it is slowly driving me crazy i think plus my boobs just seem to be growing i didnt know that would happen and to be honest i hate my giant boobs i honestly thought they stopped growing when milk came in :?