Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping in tummy???

Hi all, seems very quiet on here, bubbas keeping us all busy?? I just wondered what thought were on babies sleeping on tummies? Nancy is 22 weeks now & always flips herself onto her tummy for naps & bedtime, she would scream as she couldn't get herself back, but in the last couple of days she has just nodded of on her tummy(in a sleeping bag!), so I have been quickly flipping her over-which wakes her up & then crying starts!! Went to get her up this morning & she was on her tummy, so no idea how long she had been like that! So basically is it safe to leave her on her tummy or should I keep flipping her over? Hope you're all well & babies too...

Replies

• Options
    G/C from DIS but it'll largely depend on your LO and how well they cope in lifting themselves and moving in general. At 22wks they are normally more able to lift and move head than they were when first born so the risk has reduced in that sense but only you will really know what your LO is managing when they are awake (lifting head, pushing themself up on arms, sitting, crawling, etc...). If she has the strength to turn onto her tummy then I'd say that she should also have the strength to move her head if she felt uncomfortable and/or will call for your help if she feels stuck and unable to right herself. My DD is now 19mths old but has been tossing and turning all over her cot pretty much since birth (she rolled onto her side the day she was born!!!) Once they are in deep sleep you will normally be able to place them in a position that works better for you
  • Options
    Hi Mrscole,

Esme is the same and I was constantly popping upstairs to turn her over in the evening, only to go back 5 mins later to find her on her front again! As KazzieM has said, I think she's strong enough to move if she's uncomfortable/can't breathe and she certainly makes it know when she's got her arm stuck in the bars! so I've decided I'm fighting a loosing battle and to leave her. We do have a monitor that monitors movement as well which gives me a bit more confidence.

Elf x