Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

carson autistic

saw paed yesterday and i had my suspecting and she confirmed that was likely carson is autistic. we have to wait for her to have her MDT meeting with other consultants to confirm but likely. he is young so until he is 5 they cant say 100% but he will begin therapy now as early intervention crucial. i am a little upset but she said he shows good signs of leading normal life and responding to intervention so fingers crossed.

Replies

• Options
    Both of my brothers have Asperger's Syndromme which is a condition on the autistic spectrum. The biggest peice of advice I can give you is to remember that no two autistic people are the same, but there is a lot of help out there. If you can, find a support group and talk to other mums. People with autistic children become very resourceful very fast and will be able to tell you about lots of strategies that you can use with your son to help him to understand. My baby is starting to fuss so I am sorry that this isnt a long message, but please feel free to privately message me if you want to know more about my brothers and the help that we have recieved as a family in dealing with them xx
  • Options
    i was just wondering what theraphys you do?
  • Options
    Much of the interventions my brothers recieved were at school to be honest, but there are many things you can do to help at home. Makaton sign language is helpful in giving children a visual as well as verbal sign for things and baby sensory is also supposed to be very good for autistic children. As he gets older visual pictures are good for helping him to learn to make choices and communicate his choice to you. With my brothers many of their issues came to light as they got older and then my parents found a strategy to deal with it. For example, when my youngest brother was two he refused to eat after suffering from a tummy bug. He lost weight quickly and my mum tried everything to try and get him to eat. After almost a week of refusing food my mum noticed that he would stare at the picture of ducks on the bottom of one of the bowls and point and say 'duck'. So she put some mashed up weetabix in the bowl and said 'duck's gone'. He then tentatively ate until he 'found' the ducks again. Over the next few months he would only eat from the duck bowl and only eat weetabix and mashed potato, nothing else. As hard as it was, he didnt starve. He also had a phobia of buttons and zips, so all clothes had to be button and zip free, which made buying a winter coat very difficult! In the end the only way my parents could get him to wear a coat was to cut the buttons off. I think what I am trying to say is that you will just find what works for your son as he grows. You should look into Makaton though, it really is very helpful to improve communication xx
  • Options
    thanks for the info sounds like your parents coped well.x