Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Naps and bathtime

How much is everyone having these days?

Sara seems to still have a morning nap if we're at home (probably bored stiff and think's there's nothing better to do!!!) but if we're out she just has a big long sleep after lunch time - about 2 hrs, then will sleep the 12ish hrs at night.

Onto bathtime...It used to be such good fun and now i dread it...thoughts plz!

Hope you're all well, havent been on much recently

xxx

Replies

• Options
    If we're at home Eva doesn't wake up until around 9am so doesn't have time for a morning nap, but she will have a nap in the afternoon of around 1.5hrs. If we're out then she will always sleep in the car. If it's a work day we have to get up much earlier and she goes to her nannys for the day and she will have an hour in the morning and the same in the afternoon.

With bathtime, Eva loves me giving her a bath and she laughs and plays (and she's just learnt to splash properly too which is fun). However, she hates my oh giving her a bath now (it wasn't always like that, it's just a recent thing so I'm hoping it's just a phase) and she screams blue murder for the entire time.

I hope bathtime gets better for you x
  • Options
    It's a bit hit and miss with us with regards to the morning nap. We put her down for a nap, but lately it seems she's more reluctant to take it despite being rather tired :roll:

She has started getting up later recently though, sleeping until around 8am, so whether this has anything to do with it? If she doesn't nap in the morning, then she goes down around 1pm and sleeps for around an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours, then bed around 6-6:30pm.

Bath times is a big hit in our house. Poppy climbs the stairs with daddy behind and we chill on our bed before daddy baths her. She LOVES to splash, and move around/stand up in the bath.

She also tries to drink the water, much to hubby's disgust :lol: We've asked for some more bath toys for Christmas for her, so looking forward to more fun at bath time image xx
  • Options
    Emilia gets up around 7:30 and just has a nap for 2 hours between 12:30pm - 2:30pm although she has been waking half way through and I have to resettle her!

To be honest she has been very unsttled both at night and during the day lately, but I think it is due to her having a dodgy tummy for 2 weeks and then cutting her top two teeth. Plus the cold weather doesnt help!

Usually we have a bath at 6pm and she likes to have a play with her sqirters etc...for 15 mins. Although now its a quick rub donw with a damp flannel and we have no water again!!

xx
  • Options
    we get up at about 8am and have a nap (yep me too!) at either 11am or 1pm depending on whats going on usually lasts 1-2 hours and then he has 12 hours a night, well the last 2 nights have been 12 hours hoping it continues (then again everytime i say that he starts waking again :lol: )

we still have a bath every night as he enjoys it although sometimes he showers with me in the morning, he know when he want to get out though as he stands up shouts and puts his hands up! baths usually last 15 mins or there abouts, i was thinking of cutting down baths to every other day i'm not sure x
  • Options
    Cameron still has two naps a day mosts days. We get up at 5.30/6.00 and he'll nap for an hour or so at 10 and an hour or so at 2 and then sleep from 6.30pm until we get up. Although at nursery the naps are normally 40 mins or less but he seems to cope ok with that.

We still love the bath too. When I take him upstairs to run it he loves standing holding onto the bath watching it fill up. The last few days he's been in hysterical laughter watching it and getting excited. Time in the bath is quite short at the moment as our bathroom is like an igloo and I don't want him unclothed for too long but I have a feeling that Santa might be bringing some exciting bath toys this weekend so we might have to get some extra water playtime in if the big freeze eases off! image xx
  • Options
    Hi Mybutler.

Re naps we're all over the place. It's still 2 a day although if we're at home the only way to get her to nap is to breast feed which is messing up her appetite. Oh I could moan on forever but won't bore you!

Anyway re bath time you asked for suggestions: what is the problem? Assuming general whingeyness.

Does your little one swim? It could be unrelated but Elysia loves the water and I'm convinced it's because we started Water Babies when she was 3months old. Now when I want to pour water on her head to rinse her I just say the command so she knows we're going underwater and she closes her eyes and holds her breath. And if she slips and goes under (she wriggles around a lot and goes from sitting to lying down by basically throwing herself onto her front) she doesn't bat an eyelid - well, except to clear water out of it! So I can't recommend swimming enough!

Other suggestion - I know a very obvious one - but it she just too tired? I recently read the No Cry Sleep Solution in order to try and solve our dreadful sleep issues, and you are encouraged to look critically at every aspect of your routine. I thought we had a good bedtime routine but have now ralised it's just too late and Elysia cries after bathtime because she's too tired. Sounds dead obvious but sometimes it's difficult to be objective when you think everything's working fine.

Final suggestion - it could just be a phase and she will get over it. My nephew got a terrible fear of the water having loved his bath for so long. Eventually it just disappeared.

Confusing little monkies aren't they?!

Have a lovely Christmas and hope bath time gets better soon.

Rxxx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies my lovely ladies.

Reeny - I think you're right...I basically think she's too tired and its too much for her to handle! I've bought her tea-time forward this week and she's been a bit better in the bath, although I actually did it so there was more time between tea and milk so she'd take more. I'm hoping its a phase, Oh also confessed that she stood in the bath and slipped the other night when I was at work and even though she didn't hurt herself she got a shock, so maybe there's a bit of association there too. Is the No Cry Sleep Soln good? Was thinking of getting it so would be interested to hear what you think. Also looking at baby sleep answers web site and contemplating buying that too.

Sara's got some bath toys in her stocking so hopefully that will encourage her to relax and enjoy once again...fingers crossed.

Joemoeuk - is your water back on? My friend lives in Glasgow and her washing machines water pipes froze then burst causing a flood...the washing machine was inside!! That is seriously cold! Bbrrrrrr.

Thanks ladies...hope you have a wonderful first Christmas with your LO's, treasure every moment

xxx
  • Options
    Hi

No we still have no water!! It's ridiculous! Emilia hasnt had a proper bath in about a week except for a quick rub down in a box! She thinks its funny though!

I have a copy of the no cry sleep solutions book if you want it? I bought it to see if it had any ideas on how to extend nap time when Emilia was very young, but it wasnt fo us. You are more than welcome to my copy...let me know

Joanna x
  • Options
    Ooohh...yes plz! That would be great if you're sure - you can always have it back if you need it. I'll message you now. Thanks lovely xxx
  • Options
    Hey

its so good to hear what other people are doing with routines as im constantly worrying that im doing it all wrong!

Hannah sleeps brilliantly at night, she has done 6:30pm - 6 since she was about 5 months but has always been a dreadful day time sleeper. ( i obviously prefer this to the alternative!) but She has NEVER settled in her cot for a nap and always has to be moving ie the car or buggy. we even had to buy a cheep buggy to put in the bedroom upstairs to rock her to sleep as its just not always feasible to go out! esp in this weather.

anyway she now wakes about 7am and i try to get her to nap about 9:30 and she will have about 20mins. I then try to get her to have a nap about 2pm and again it will last max 30 mins.

she goes to nursery three mornings and they used to be able to get her to sleep in a bouncy chair but it would only be 15-20 mins but for the last three weeks she just wont sleep there at all. as soon as we drive away though she is fast asleep!

she managed last tuesday with only a ten min nap all day! and was in a reasonably good mood by bed time too. she astounds me sometimes!

anyway. i try not to worry about her terrible day time sleep but does anyone have any tips - i love the sound of a two hour afternoon nap!!
  • Options
    ooh i think you are all luck your little ones have TWO naps! I don't remember the last time lily had a morning nap! She's up at 8am like clock work (most days unless we are out very late the night before) and has a nap from 1:00-3:30-3pm and then goes to bed at 7:30-8

with regards to bathtime lily went through the same thing after she slipped and got a mouthful of water so we eased her back into bathtime - i think taking her swimming helped too image now she loves it again and hates getting out! we bath her every other day and she is in the bath for about 45 minutes (or a bit longer if she's with daddy!) her bathtimes are quite long as she loves playing in there so we just put more warm water in!

good luck! xxx