Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

2 Q's...Toddler milk and milk in beakers

Hello ladies,

Just wondering if anyone will be using the toddler milk, or just going onto cow's milk, or maybe a combination of the 2?

Also is milk 'supposed' to be given in beakers after a year old? James still has 3 bottles of 7/8oz, and this won't fit in a beaker. Plus I'd like him to keep the morning and bedtime bottles really! What's your plan?

Thank you xx

Replies

• Options
    I've been told to give 2x5oz per day, currently on 2x 6oz. The beakers fit 5oz. I will be using toddler milk to start with working onto cows milk! L xx
  • Options
    i was going to skip toddler milk altogether as ems loves cows milk lots. however i couldn't get through snow the other day and stupid asda sent the wrong milk (toddler!) so she has had to have some til daddy could get to the shop. she wont be having any more, i thinkit's a waste of money if they'll happily drink cows milk.

as for beaker emmy has a big one with a straw that she loves. it hold about 10oz and she'll drink a whole one with her lunch so that's my plan for now xxx
  • Options
    We won't be using toddler milk, just going straight to cows milk as I think toddler milk is a waste of money.

I am currently trying to get Eva to take her afternoon milk (formula) in a beaker but she won't even try to drink it but she'll happily drink water out of one. I'll just persevere with it then change it to cows milk eventually. She's currently having 3x 6oz bottles a day.
  • Options
    Sash has cow's milk in a beaker after breakfast, then formula from a bottle at bedtime, when this tin of formula is finished she will just have cow's milk. I'll try and just use a beaker then but if she wants a bottle at bedtime then so be it, I'll make sure I brush her teeth after though.
  • Options
    Emilia has cows milk for her breakfast drink, but she isn't that keen on it, and it has to be quite warm. We only switched now due to not having any water for making milk. She still has formula milk at bedtime though, but this is just a whole carton. TT do a beaker that will hold 200ml and doesn't have any handles. We use this for our bedtime milk. I think it a good transition beaker has it 'holds' like a bottle. She often won't take the full ammount from the breaker, so I just tip the rest into a bottle. As long as she has a try.

Dont think we will use the toddler milk, I had been told my my HV that is is very sweet, and can encourage babies to favour sweeter things...not sure how true that is though

Joanna x
  • Options
    Hiya

Hannah currently has two bottles of 6-7oz formula at 10am and 3pm. She dropped her evening breast feed and i never instigated a bottle at night as she didnt seem to want one. I plan to switch to 5oz cows milk at 1yr ( 3 weeks time!) in a beaker but im a bit worried she just wont take it. she doesnt really like milk all that much. we really struggled to get her on to a bottle when i had to go back to work. i have tried giving her formula in a beaker last week and it was less than successful. i ended up putting it back in her bottle! Id hate to think we will be using bottles past the reccommended but i have a feeling we will be... :?

liz x
  • Options
    we got told that unless LO is a fussy eater and doesnt get a good balanced diet the 1+ year milk is unessasary, ( she said it was a big con to get mums to spend money!) we have a small amount of follow on left that will take us to 12 months, we already have a cows milk at breakfast in a beaker about 6oz and one fromula at bed of 6oz which will switch to cows milk this week which will then be in a beaker
  • Options
    We've already started the transition to cows milk and beakers. At the moment he's still only having 1 beaker a day and two bottles though. Think I just need to throw all the bottles out as I keep forgetting and automatically give him a bottle. He seems to like cow's milk but will only take 4-5 oz rather than 7 when offered. Our HV advised to go for cows milk rather than toddler milk. She also advised vitamin drops to supplement his diet. But I'm not sure if that advice was related to the transition to cows milk and applies to everyone or if it was because Cameron has been ill and appetite has disappeared and we're just trying to make sure he still gets all his vitamins if he doesn't eat much. Personally i'll be pleased not to have to buy any more vats of formula but i dont think it would do baby any harm if you gave them it rather than cows milk.

xx

P.S Mithical - Tomme Tippee also do a beaker with handles that will hold 7oz as we use this when we give Cam formula in his beaker.