Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nursey Ladies

I'm having a little wobble about how much food Emilia is getting on the days she is at nursery.

I am really happy with what the nursery provide, its all freshly cooked in house and they always have a choice of two hot meals. Emilia eats well and has really come on with self feeding.

However, they have snack at about 3:00 (I think) which is usually sandwiches, cheese on toast, that sort of thing. We pick her up at about 3:30 and normally she has tea at 5pm.

The last week she has been point blank refusing to eat any tea, apart from a piece of fruit or something like that. She is only little and it doesn't take much to fill her up, so I think she just isn't hungry. I thought about cutting the snack out (which we do at home) but then that's not really fair when they are all having snack.

So my question is Ladies...what do you do????

Is it a case of pushing tea back?? but then I think she would be far to tired and she falls into bed at 7pm as it is (she isn't sleeping that long at nursery she is still getting used to sleeping there)

I am really worried that she isn't getting all she should, and I know that I can't make her eat if she isn't hungry, but I would like her to eat something for tea.

Help :?

Replies

• Options
    Hi didnt want to read and run.

could you ask the nursery to give LO a piece of fruit for her snack so she is still having something but will still eat dinner when you get home ??

I agree with you, she must be full up to not eat her dinner at home after her snack. does LO still have milk before bed?

Lizzie has fruit for a snack in the afternoon (at home) then has her dinner about 4:30. she has started to completely refuse her night time bottle and still sleeps through fine so i assume she is full up and too tired to be bother with it.

xx
  • Options
    I had divised a new evening plan pushing her dinner back - my thinking being she might be more hungry for it, and she has gallons of milk for breakfast anyway so wouldn't matter if she drank less before bed.

At the mo she was having no tea but 7+oz of milk so I think she is hungry??

I was at home all day today and she flatly refused to eat anything!!! Proper in the highchair tantrum!!

She always eats well at nursery so gave them a phone, and apparently Emilia feeds herself now! image Usually I have a spoon and she has a spoon...but no, now she had to do it all herself!! Stupid mummy hadn't caught on to the fact that she wanted to be more independant! Felt terrible for her

She had only been going twice a week for the last two weeks, so its amazing how quick they catch on!!

Hopefully that will be the answer - seemed to work this evening

Thanks for you reply xx
  • Options
    Im glad you found out why she wouldnt eat and that she seems to be eating now image

Lizzie will still let me feed her until she is satisfied enough to do it herself,lol.

• Options
    Didn't get a chance to reply before but sounds like you're sorted now anyway. I tend to give Elysia another snacky thing for tea when she gets home from nursery. So the other day she wouldn't eat the pasta I had made her so I gave her some banana and some cinnamon and raisin bagel instead and she ate some so that was good enough for me. Unless you have concerns about Emilia's weight it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. Oh and we're having the same "I want to do it myself but don't quite have the coordination yet" challenges!

Loads of love

• Options
    Thank reeny

I think it more me then here - I am still in the 'you are my baby' phase and she is 'I can do it myself!'

She has jumped up two centiles in the last few months so the HV said not to worry at all and that she might have been filling herself up to much spoon feeding and is now better at knowing how hungry she is and when to stop eating.

I have adopted you strategy also - savoury muffins have helped us out many a time and a banana is alway good!

Hope everything is going well for you at the mo. How is E getting on with her sleeping? Hope it has improved for you xxx
  • Options
    Hi Joe. Not been on here for a little while so only just seen your post. Sleeping is still awful although she's just cut a tooth which might have something to do with the particularly awful awfulness we've had this week. I still constantly blame myself for her bad sleeping. She's in our bed still and wakin three four five times crying wanting rocking back to sleep. I'm just hoping sher grows out of it soon because I'm still not doing controlled crying, ever. Sigh!
  • Options
    im lucky as jasmine eats for england!!!

some days if she's eaten alot at nursery i give her a small tea. our nursery sounds the same as yours, similar food and quite a large tea. i pick the children up about 5.45 and they have diner/tea about half 6.

maybe try doing something small? ours have a hot meal at lunch so i dnt feel bad if they dont have a huge dinner when they get back.

xx