Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Moving to a new area?

Hi, hope everyone is ok!

I was just wondering if any of you have moved house since having LO? We will be moving in a couple of months time to a new area and I'm scared!!

The new house is lovely and its in a lovely area but I won't know anyone. We're moving because OH has got a new job there.

Does anyone have any tips for preparing for the move before hand and for settling in once we're there-I've never moved house before apart from moving in with OH but obviously then we just moved stuff over as and when so I have no idea where to start!!

Any advice would be very appreciated!! And if anyone is in Sussex let me know-I have loads of questions!!!

Thank you!!

Replies

• Options
    Hey Jojo , I haven't got any advice but we're moving in June so will be in the same boat. Will be watching with interest!! xx
  • Options
    Hi.

We moved from Yorkshire to Hampshire before LO's were born but like you had never properly "moved" before. Best advice is to find a good removal company, ours were fantastic and we gave them a plan of where we wanted furniture to go etc. And by the time we'd driven down everything was unloaded and sort of in place. If you go with someone like pickfords I believe they will even pack for you - expensive but maybe worth it with a little one.

Once you've moved my advice is to go along to the local mum and baby group as soon as possible. 3 of my best friends moved into the area after their lo's were born and we got to know each other because they came to toddler group and all our kids are the same age. It is a bit scary but well worth it to take the plunge, you'll find you make loads of new friends through your LO.

Hope it all goes well, where about in Sussex? I live in Hampshire but am Sussex born.

Wendy
  • Options
    Congrats on hubby's new job, I'm sure it will be lovely when you are all settled in.

For moving day itself I would just say make sure you know which box has all lo's stuff in so as soon as you get to the new house you can get some, if not all, of their room unpacked so there are familier things around for them, particularly a comforter or favourite teddy. Also dont put clean sheets on the cot, the familiar smell will also be a comfort.

Good luck with it all.
  • Options
    As you know we moved from Italy to Stirling - the key is to be organised.

Tips we were given were -

List everything that is in each box right down to the teaspoons and the you can just unpack what you want as you need it rather than unpacking everything at once.

Get LO involved in packing their room and helping to take everthing out again at the new house. Make sure you can get to all their stuff straight away and use his old sheets off the bed. Spend time playing in the room if you can, and maybe extend bedtime routine to include time to just hang out in there before sleep.

Check the library for mother and toddler groups or the doctors surgery usually have posters etc..

Good luck with the move and congrats on hubby's new job

xx