Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

has anyone????

Hi girls

I am trying to persude hubby that going camping is a good idea! we have 2 daughters one who will be 6 and ofcourse lizzie who will be 19 months by time we go!

so my question is-has anyone else raved camping with such a young toddler?? dd1 will be fine, as long as we go through it all with her before going and show her pictures and stuff (hopefully getting aspergers diagnoses next week!) and we get help with the toliet issue before we go,she will be fine.

we will get ready beds for them (the blow up ones with built in pillow and duvet + a sleeping bag for each of them incase its cold and im not going to start potty training before then.

any advise on doing it or would you wait?

we would be going to a holiday homes camp site (like jonh fowler,if ayone has heard of them) so we have all the aminities we need plus eveing entertainment if we decided we needed it

Replies

• Options
    I grew up camping and would def go. I think my first camping trip was at about 4 months!

I bet the girls will love it! Especially getting everything ready beforehand. Plus there is nothing to say that you have to go for ages and very far. Maybe try a 'practice' overnight trip before the 'big thing'!

Obviously you are all ready to support your older daughter with the trip and I am sure once she has her diognosis National Autistic Society or others would be able to give you loads of help. Boardmaker/PECs and Social stories would be a great way to help her, depending on her understanding (I work for Scottish Autism, so if I can help let me know)
  • Options
    yeah i have been told a lot about social stories and these seem to be a good way to do things. toliets are our big issue at the moment so a day trip to show her them/spoending some time as soon as we get there on this would be a big help. we have her meeting on tuesday so hopefully we will be on track for some help. Lizzie is easy to deal with, we just pack some foods she can eat our find somewhere that sells jacket spuds,or plain chicken and fish!

our best friends have invited us to a couple of nights away with them so might be doing that instead! oh choices choices!! lol

thanks for your help x